Mml Is Great!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SD40Australia, Apr 26, 2023.

1. I drove it and no problems.

A few bugs but it didn't break it.

Its pretty and well made.

Nottingham station is glorious!

I did not have any issue with AWS.

I did have an issue where I missed stopping at East Midlands parkway and then it crashed when almost at Nottingham.

A red signal shows at Derby but it wasn't really red according to HUD.

It is great fun.

A lot of the complaints on the forums and social media are not huge issues but some are using them to justify sliming the release as poor.

It isn't.

Someone said a post was missing and not all buttons in the cab worked. Fair enough.

Go buy some game that lets you play with everything. Microsoft Flight Simulator does I think. There you go.

• Like Like x 5
  2. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

It's great that you enjoy it, but the developer has already acknowledged it has a plethora of issues and that they already have fixes in the pipeline... So other players aren't imagining its problems. Those players should be allowed to enjoy it, too, and also have it be the best it can be, and not have to find a completely different, unrelated game/simulator to play instead.

• Like Like x 19
  3. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

"no problems" huh? Right...

• Like Like x 11
  4. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

I did buy Flight Sim, because of a lack of overall quality and my own perception of value for money) in fact the money I have not spent buying TSW3 and any DLC after spirit of steam went to purchasing an Xbox, proper controllers and flight sim game and DLCs (probably around £1k so far). This is money DTG would have had from me if they got their act properly together and gave me value for money. Flight sim does this (not a perfect game by any means) and so gets my money, very simple.

• Like Like x 5
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

That’s it everyone! Don’t believe anyone else (literally including Skyhook), SD40 here gave it the all clear!

• Like Like x 13
  6. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

I think that there will be always people that will be happy with even poor routes. However despite myself being good public usually i cant stand unfinished, unpolished routes. Just like most lates releases.

Moreover if bugs were slammed in a week or a month... but no we still have lot of bugs, some core, some linked to routes.

I remember when i started TSW2 i had a red light bug during a scenario on CCL. I reported it on forum, other users reported it before and after me. It was finally fixed but IIRC more than a year later. And it was a game braking bug that prevented scenario completing, the one type of bugs that DTG want to treat first..
    If only things were good now, but no, they are still delivring half baked routes.

And if there were only bugs, but even the routes themeselves are either short, bland, with no layers (even AI) and poor traffic.
    MML is not great, Skyhook maybe will improve it. But only time will tell, for my part im not optimistic anymore.

• Like Like x 5
  7. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I do like the route, I've had some immersive runs with the 158, but there are a few issues which are being resolved. Regarding the AWS, there are quite a lot of problems on the reversible line into and out of Leicester, maybe the OP hasn't been that way yet.
    I'm really hoping they squash the bugs and add layers/extensions to the route - would make it a real cracker.
    Looking forward to the patch from SHG.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I don't see the bugs so there are no bugs.

• Like Like x 4
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't think the route is great but I do like it and it will be much better when the bugs are fixed and a more immersive timetable implemented.

However demeaning someone for enjoying it is totally out of order.

I don't know why, on the release of this route there seems to be so much anipathy to those of us who have bought it and are getting some enjoyment out of it, to the point of almost being told you are wrong.

It doesn't really help the opposing argument, and is as bad, if not worse than those on here who will never have anything bad to say and argue that everything is perfect.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Two words...
    "The internet"
    People have a voice and can use it, and if someone else disagrees with them then they're obviously wrong and need to be silenced...
    Yet another example of trolling for cookies so I wouldn't worry too much

If the OP finds the route and stock acceptable good for them. We know there's issues and also know some people will be more vociferous in how they express their frustration with those issues.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

Oh I know but if it was the otherway round there would be pitchforks at dawn.

I have noticed more starkly since the MML release, that some people can't accept that others have a different point of view.

There have been worse route releases than this one.

12. ARuscoe

You mean there aren't anyway? I got called a white knight and false admin yesterday just for trying to keep a post on track...

With all DLC releases we get new people and new voices, many of whom can't see that others don't always want to address every bug
    We also have a heck of a lot of issues in MML (new and legacy) and some again don't want to see past them to just enjoy the route, you know how can you drive a train when someone's stood in the gangway or when there's no traffic on the route...?
    So I can see their frustration, even if their method aren't what I would use

Not sure on that. Maybe there have been worse game ending issues on other routes, but the MML and associated assets have issues which could be classed as "how the heck did that get through alpha testing let alone beta?"
    But then I'm very much a pragmatist, and very much jaded as to how DTG work and put things out, so I just sigh and get on with it. Others are more vocal...

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I mean, I agree on other threads this has happened, but the OP has strolled in here to say everything is fine, and told anyone who has an issue otherwise should go buy & play something else, whilst accusing them of lying to just make DTG look bad.

Hardly a recipe for a civilised discussion.

Of course the irony is that OP is doing the thing they’re accusing others of, just on the other end of the scale.

Regarding the attitude change lately, maybe people are just annoyed that DTG have started back down this path again.

But yeah, I’ll hold my hands up and say I don’t get how people can say this DLC is anywhere near good, the only good that’s come out of this release is the rolling stock (which even those have some issues), everything else is just shoddy at best.

• Like Like x 5
  14. theorganist

I can see the frustration too. The only route I have bought recently full price save for MML (which had the discount anyway) is the Niddertalbahn. I am still waiting for the bugs to be fixed on Linke Rheinstrecke before I purchase it, I have yet to buy BRO. I only bought Edinburgh to Glasgow after the bugs had been fixed, well most of them. Also NYT isn't even on the in a sale list at present. I certainly won't be purchasing the new steam route any time soon. So I do get the frustration.

There have been plenty of DTG routes with bugs which you can't see how they were missed so I don't think it is just Skyhook. How did a stretch of missing river not get noticed when it was as clear as day on the stream. Why was the PIS on CCL showing two coach trains rather than three.

15. theorganist

I must admit I hadn't read that into his post but I suppose reading it again it could be construed as being a bit inflammatory. However it isn't just this thread I have been accused basically of being a simp and not having any standards which I totally refute.

16. ARuscoe

Obviously you found the route playable, and your level of outrage wasn't high enough for them...

Seems to be based on the "Fox news method of reporting"

• Like Like x 1
  17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I do understand buying the route for what it is, everyone is obviously free to buy it as they see fit, but I do think it sets a bad standard for enabling DTG to just keep doing this sort of thing (and they very much have done going off the past few months).

I was on the fence of buying it regardless of the route at one point, purely because of the 158, but in the end I don’t see why I should pay £30 for this, when BCC will net you a train that is just as good quality wise, with a more than acceptable route to go with it.

I do envy those that have bought MML & enjoy it, but for me it’s just crossed a line and has really stretched the line of what’s acceptable content. I don’t want to go down the road of everything that’s wrong, but 2 dev studios, multiple skilled individuals and the apparent stringent QA should of come up with much better than what we’ve got.

Just to make it clear, I haven’t pulled anyone up on buying the DLC (much less attacked them), but people blindly defending the quality of the route does perplex me.

• Like Like x 8
  18. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

I'm wondering if some of the more vociferous response is mainly from those players who live near the route and can readily see the glaring inaccuracies in the layout (compounded by the odd bug in the gameplay, missing art assets etc)? I recall several years ago DTG first released a Canadian Rocky mountain route and I was gobsmacked at how terrible it appeared. The Rockies looked like large hills covered in astro-turf, the scenery was looking all wrong; the whole thing was fugly.

But I live near there in real life, and for some weird reason it was embarrassing to think other players from elsewhere might think this was really how it looks. If I recall rightly, I only played a couple of the poorly done scenarios and shelved the route...that was long before Steam had refunds lol. Anyway, I can see why some of the response is what it is, and note that there is also a lot of white noise (people hating just because it seems in vogue) too.

I've posted before that I have enjoyed MML but also acknowledge the faults, bugs, and inaccuracies in the route which need be fixed, and I also am aware of DTG's track record (sorry...*cough*) of not being in any hurry to repair what they, or 3rd party developers, have messed up in their releases.

Certainly doesn't help matters when you get someone (OP) saying there are no problems, then lists some problems...just serves to inflame some.

Kind regards,
    Dave

• Like Like x 4
  19. theorganist

I am sure if the Snow Hill lines are every released I will be going through it with a fine toothcomb, and probably get irritated with parts of it. I actually almost hope they are never made, although I would love to see my home town in the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

This illustrates the conundrum we experience on the forum.

I actually bought Mainz- Koblenz and, despite its obvious flaws, I'm really enjoying it. ( I started a thread on the route a couple of days ago ).

So it's absolutely fine that we have different takes on the same experience. It's the " Rashomon Effect ".

The only problem I have increasingly on the forum is that I'm finding it difficult to distinguish between:

Trolls
    Ambassadors and/or Beta testers who don't declare their role and/or NDA's.
    DTG Apologists/ White Knights
    DTG Wannabes
    Genuine posters like you and me. ( 90% + ).

I have a kind of mental list of those whose posts I don't trust, but it's not foolproof and I wouldn't dream of naming names.

• Like Like x 8
  21. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

It is a good route but what stops it being great is the design of the route and not a few bugs here and there. By design I mean the fact that there are ZERO freight services and nowhere near enough passenger services to get it anywhere close to realism or being immersive. It should also go all the way to Sheffield to get the most out of express services.

• Like Like x 1
  22. theorganist

I don't have a problem with the bugs as they are, in that pretty much every release has them and I accept that (as long as they are fixed and the content is playable until then), although they are annoying. However I am trying not to purchase routes until there has been an attempt to fix at least some of them as lately there seem to be more than in the past and some slothfulness regarding them being fixed, more so though it is what seems to be some intransigence over other aspects of gameplay like timetables, which are more fuelling my desire to be less willing to open my wallet. No mention at all of anything for SOS and only a vague aspiration regarding NYT.

I waited on Rivet to fix the Edinburgh route for example, which they have done a pretty good job of. I am sure I will enjoy Linke-Rheinstrecke and maybe I won't hold out for much longer, especially as the Peak Forest route is not going to be purchased. I did see your thread and it has whetted my appetite more.

I made an exception for MML as it was Skyhooks first UK route and I am a particular fan of the two trains which it comes with. And it is perfectly enjoyable despite its shortcomings, which for me are not the bugs so much but the shortness of the route and the poor timetable.

I do feel though that we should never question another persons decision on how they spend their money as it is none of our business. I am sure I will be reading good reviews of Peak Forest and thinking, well I won't be purchasing it, but if someone gets enjoyment out of it then all power to their elbow. We all have different expectations, I am sure some will be reading about my moaning about Peak Forest and are thinking, well what's the probem?!

• Like Like x 2
  23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In the context of the OP, this I fear.

We all have our different tolerance levels when it comes to quality and there is much in TSW which is (mostly) great - NTP, TVL, BML, most of the German routes. MML from what I've seen on reviews is not one of them, but again just my view which is, 1. Worth what you paid for it and, 2. No more or less valid than anyone else's.

• Like Like x 3