Huge Tsc Update Due 27/4/23

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 15, 2023.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree and can't really recall how and why "career" scenarios came to be a thing anyway. It's not like a proper career mode where you start at the bottom and work up, with only a limited number of scenarios unlocked. The scoring is ruthless as I suspect many authors don't understand how to go in and change the parameters so you don't lose 600 points for being three minutes late. I doubt many TSC players are bothered about XP/AP anyway. Definitely an area that needs to be restructured and even better if a semblance of TSW all day timetable with players remaining in a persistent world could be worked in.

• Like Like x 2
  2. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I enjoy career scenarios. Whether realistic or not the scoring gives something to beat which gives focus. I also like the achievements.

3. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I think what he (and some others) meant is that if you copy your entire installation, will the old version still work?
    There is a fear / paranoia (pick a label) that the new version might break something and then there is no solution as the old one cannot be used anyway. (Especially as even for three bit users, downloading old versions from Steam isn't trivial.)

4. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Just copy and rename the Railworks folder inside steamapps/common to something like Railworks2022, or move it out of the way to another drive all together.
    Then let Steam download a whole fresh game for you to test with all your legal DLC and Workshop stuff also downloaded anew.
    Or let Steam update your keepsake Railworks, while you still have the non-updated Railworks2022 available as backup.

I don't really expect anything to break, as the whole game engine is contained in only the GameManagerVC files inside the PlugIns folder.
    DTG promised not to touch routes or assets.

I still have Railworks 2012, 2015 in playable state available, for there are some things still in .lua available, which have since been obfuscated in .out files.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

They were a RailWorks 2 thing I believe, with a small handful of career scenarios provided to provide an extra challenge. It's only a relatively recent thing when standard scenarios weren't the standard... As their name would imply. :D

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

You should be doing that anyway as part of your back up strategy, right? :)

7. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

DTG. The level of openness and straightforwardness on the TSC development suits you well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

10. Doomotron

11. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The update won't happen until around 8 or 9 am Pacific time so about 5pm in the UK or 6pm European time.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Vern, I think DTG found the best solution in making the scoring optional.

Admittedly, there's many players who "need" scoring to have a feeling they've achieved something. I distinguish between "gamers" and "simmers", myself being more of the latter type. For some the game is only a means to get Steam Achievements - these are probably the most frustrated players.

Though I have to admit I deeply respect the SpeedRunning scene, this is a different universe. Seeing some Karl Jobst (great guy) videos on GoldenEye, there's people spending thousands of hours to complete a map in the best possible time, discovering engine glitches to make use of. But that's a completely different thing, though very enjoyable to watch for me.

I've seen many posts, people unnecessarily blowing up their installation and scenario database by converting Career scenarios to Standard with TSTools - which is absolutely unnecessary. You don't need to create new files - just flip the switch.

With Career Scoring off, you'll get the most trouble-free experience. This is even allows you to complete scenarios with unrealistic timings - whereas a Standard scenario will still fail if you're late. And you can turn it on again if you want a challenge, it won't affect any scenarios previously played.

As for timetables - I think this would require a new game engine and a completely different dispatcher. When looking at the timetables in TSW, they get incredibly repetitive after some time - same A to B runs mostly (yes railroading can be boring in real life too). And take a lot of work, adding in services can always break something. See how TSW's timetables are getting thinner and thinner... not much left of Rush Hour. Zusi 3's huge timetables are maintained and constantly updated when new route modules are added by a handful of very devoted devs, each issue with lock-ups is immediately adressed and communicated on their forum. This can only be done properly when there's no release deadlines - the thing that got TSW into the deep trouble it is in right now, entering a circulus vitiosus. Bug reports flooding the forums every few minutes... customers losing faith, less revenue per DLC, leading to higher prices, leading to even more people being put off as quality does not improve. (There is exceptions of course, devs like Maik Goltz (TSG) or cwf.green doing the 158 - in his spare time it seems.)

I'm totally happy with interesting scenarios and good QuickDrives. Having invested a lot of money in this hobby, I'm sure I'll be running TSC for a long time coming... Don't need hyped washed out graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Pookeyhead

I can't agree more. Never use them. They make you drive like an idiot just so you can earn a score. It's the kind of thing you expect in TSW, not here.

• Like Like x 2
  14. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

I don't want a "woke" thing on TSC, there's TSW3 for that.
    TSC works very well without all that score stuff or other bullshit that we see on TSW3 like the AP points that rot your screen every time you touch a button in the cabin!!!
    Thank you for being satisfied with an update of the engine and directx 12 or vulcan the rest is going very well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pookeyhead

In fairness, it's not the concept of a career mode that's silly, it's how it's implemented in the scenarios. If you have to slam the throttle to max, drive to the absolute line speed, then leave your braking to the last possible second in order to keep time, then the scenario has been created by someone who has no idea. Unfortunately, many of them are like this, and it just ruined the enjoyment of the sim for me. If you were rewarded for things that were realistic, like noticing PWay workers, and correctly using the horn, or responding to signalling correctly, then fine... I'd have no problem with that, but when it essentially turns into a racing game... no thanks.
    BTW... I just had a one month ban for making a joke!, so using language like that will definitely get you banned. Kind of a thought police policy of moderation in here. Be careful.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. OldVern

Must admit despite being a TSC veteran I never realised you could just switch the career scoring off! That makes it all the more silly having two levels and different sections of scenarios. As I said, career would probably work better if scenario authors were aware of and actually clicked on that little button that lets you loosen the parameters, but it’s very obscure and tucked away so most probably aren’t aware of it or don’t bother.

17. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Sorry, you're about 10 years too late, the majority of TSC scenarios have been Career mode since TS2014

18. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

Not really, they are deactivated from the beginning!
    What I don't want is for them to be on all the time.

It's like for vulcan, my TS has been on vulcan for over a year and works very well.
    You are late ...

19. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I've literally never used the career mode, am I in the minority?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Apart from my first month in TS, me neither. I was missing random variation, so i set about doing something much more advanced in Quick Drives instead.

• Like Like x 3
  21. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

If only quick drives were all good on all routes.

22. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

That's not a problem with career scenarios, it's a problem with scenario timings. The same problem applies to standard scenarios, since they fail you if you arrive a second late.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The majority of Scenarios From DTG are Career mode
    Those from other providers such as Just Trains and RSSLO are in Standard or Timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Real Drives by Kim Olesen on RailSim.de?
    https://rail-sim.de/forum/filebase/entry-list/?userID=13496
    They work like a Quick Drive but you won't get a clear run.
    You will get checked at red signals as you catch up with other trains on the route.
    Also the AI traffic will vary each time you run the scenario.

They are very good.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Looks like the update is ready for download (my Steam has a download waiting for TSC, at least)

26. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I just had that update but it was so fast I do not think it was the big one yet to come today

27. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Yeah I agree, looks like some minor stuff, some Huddersfield things and some JustTrains stuff it seems

28. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Silly question...

How will I know if the update had been applied???

Eric

29. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It will automatically update or if you see it queued for update you can click on it and it start updating.

30. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

The update that just went out was the route updates not the main core game, the route updates always come before (so things like the updated localisation, new track for pegnitz etc, and some bug fixes too)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Here's a laugh, couple of nights ago I had a free hour or two to actually play TS but couldn't decide what I wanted to run, a quick browse on here and I saw a discussion regarding the quiet AWS on the Hudd 47, so downloaded Peters fix and decided to give the 47 a run seeing as I hadn't yet since owning it..
    All that I had were the two DTG career scenarios so thought ok I'll do one of those (the first one).
    Scoring on (if I'm gonna do it I might as well get some points for it, right?).
    Done the run.... Perfect... no overspeeds or operational errors at all, scored the 1000 points, got my gold pointy... oooooh...
    Career points scored..... zero!? What the actual flock of geese!?
    Ah well, point scoring back to off then... LUL.

32. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi All,

I see a couple more questions come in since I was last here. Responses below:

Career scenarios were a method for us to introduce Steam Achievments (which were relatively new in those days). The idea behind it was to give an achievement for breaching certain conditions as you played. It was more a themed approach to give purpose to play rather than anything descriptive in terms of progressing a career of train driving. The progression came from purely getting higher scores.

There's no technical reason I can think of that would prevent back up or remote installs from working - as long as you remain signed in to steam either in online or offline mode, they should work.

Oh dear, we do have the career scoring on our list to look at since it's an endless source of frustration for everyone. Well done though on the gold star at least :)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  33. the TSW Points system should be the idea moving on i hate the fact u take points away from the player and this is one of the reason why i dont care for Scenarios of TSC and just do quick drive also as i do Livestreams and uploaded videos for both TSC & TSW so it don't bother me as i treat quick drive just like its Timetable mode

• Like Like x 1
  34. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No "should" about it it DOES work, I've been doing it for many months now, Steam install in usual file structure on D drive, cloned RailWorks folder with all 3rd party and community modifications and the .exe I play from (via a shortcut pinned to my taskbar) are on my E drive.

35. Doomotron

I got the update despite only having LIRR, was there any update for that?

Please be performance, please be performance

36. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Guess the main update is coming in not too long though, it seems the base Train Simulator has been (temporarily) removed from the Steam store

37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

38. Doomotron

That isn't to do with the update directly; DTG removed the game from Steam on purpose so people buying it before the update came out wouldn't get the previous routes expecting the new ones. If they hadn't done it I can imagine someone buying it earlier today asking 'Why do I not have the new routes?' on the technical reports subforum! :D

39. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

40. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks Reef, you beat me to it! :)

Best, Steve

41. Doomotron

• Like Like x 1
  42. OldVern

TSW is probably too lenient but maybe a compromise is that the default penalties for failure (which must be in a core file somewhere) are mitigated and the player score can never drop below zero.

43. TrainSim-Steve

The reason we take it down is so that we can transfer the new core build into the space of the existing install - there are many technical concerns to consider and there's also some jiggery pokery we need to do in the back end of steam. We also need to check that there is no untoward behaviour before we roll out to the public after we've transferred everything over.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 4
  44. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Likewise... something downloaded but it was blisteringly quick to complete... I was expecting a lengthy download...

Eric

• Like Like x 2
  45. triznya.andras

I see your point, but let me offer another perspective because it might as well be equally valid (intent).

It is called experience, not score, not gold. Each scenario offers a certain experience, literally.

Replaying one over and over doesn't give you actual growth. Especially railfans.
    Looking for something new is giving you more, also in terms of points: replay something for a few extra points, or an observant first run somewhere.

When I look at player profiles, I think the same. Low level, didn't see much. High level, seen the world.

Applies to one route even. Doing 100 laps with a HST on a route versus playing two dozen locos on Sherman Hill.

There are existing metrics in TSC, such as distance and hours driven per route and train. Those keep accumulating, if you want to show off, so to speak. I already have Donner Pass: Coast to Coast, so I think my life is complete in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  46. jamiesafc

jamiesafc New Member

Hi Steve,

I notice the version number following the download is still showing 72.3b is this correct?
    Also in the update post from Jamie it says "Added DX12 Experimental edition to enable widescale data gathering (must be using Windows 10 or 11 to try DX12) (Note: The option to launch DX12 is currently disabled, it will be enabled on Friday, 28th due to Steam config complexities)"
    Is there any risk to enabling this tomorrow to people with quite a large install of 3rd party contet from outside of steam?

Thanks

47. triznya.andras

Wait wait, again, the point is whether the RailWorks.exe from 2022, 2021, ..., 2009 works if I start it. Steve answered with yes.
    Some of those might not already, part of the concern.
    You may know I've complained about messed up weather stuff for old scenarios. I do think that current weather is prettier, at least comparing my screenshots from 2018 and 2023 suggests so. But those morning yellows... ("It's a dark, cold, winter morning - #ffffdd dark.") So I could actually benefit from having the 2015-2016 executable with all its config and just run old routes like the NJCL on that version.

Having copies of the current version is fine and dandy, but it doesn't help if you want to roll back to the version of yesterday, because reasons.

48. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Quick note:

Just received an update - while the core itself is not touched yet, here's what changed so far: (the "Route Refresh")

Code:
    Content\Routes\00000104-0000-0000-0000-000000002023\MainContent.ap
    Content\Routes\00000105-0000-0000-0000-000000002023\MainContent.ap
    Content\Routes\00000106-0000-0000-0000-000000002023\MainContent.ap
    Assets\DTG\Pegnitztalbahn\PegnitztalbahnAssets.ap
    Assets\DTG\Class47Pack04\Class47Pack04Assets.ap
    Assets\DTG\LeedsManchester\LeedsManchesterAssets.ap
    Assets\DTG\LIRR\LIRRAssets.ap
    Assets\DTG\APClass158Pack01\various files
    Assets\DTG\Class142Pack01\Class142Pack01Assets.ap

These files have been upgraded and differ in size to their predecessors. I advise everyone to Clear the Cache, in case Steam doesn't delete the old blueprints.pak cache files.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

How do you know which files Steam updated? This would be quite useful to know. :)

50. TrainSim-Steve

Correct, the core update doesn't roll out until 5pm UTC.

When we enable the DX12 Experimental option tomorrow, it will not affect your content install at all. All that will be different is that when you start TSC from Steam, you will have an extra option to load into the DX12 Experimental build.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 5