Huge Tsc Update Due 27/4/23

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 15, 2023.

1. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Love you man :D:love:;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Renamed my main installation to RailWorksFULL
    Created new installation yesterday, only containing LIRR Hudd and Peg. After update today, just compared files.

1111.png

3. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Is the DX12 option only available through steam? I run TSC from another directory so my install is not impacted by verifies.

Good work by the way, I'm glad TSC is getting this focus.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Really pumped for the work you're doing Steve, thank you mate! Out for a few hours and when I get back cannot wait to have a try of the refactored core engine. Much kudos :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Not 100% sure but I believe there may be some additional config work to do so that DX12 can be launched directly from the exe, give us a few days to work that out and I'll update everyone. That said, it may just work - we haven't been able to test it on the live branch for obvious reasons. Just let me know and we'll get it sorted.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Steve...

It's quite refreshing to see a DTG staff member being so engaging...

Please don't take this personally, but so many times I feel that staff just linger in the background not inputting anything [into the forums] much to peoples frustration...

Keep up the good work...

Eric

• Like Like x 11
  7. dolanbaker

dolanbaker Active Member

Just started from steam and the option for starting in 32 or 64 bit has gone s it starts in 64 bit and the version number is v72,3b )x64) so I can guess that the update is out.

EDIT: just cleared the cache and restarted, it restarted in 32 bit.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

That's still the old version then, I think. No update here yet either. There was a small update of a few hundred MB, but nothing else at 17:17UTC. I'd just close Steam and check back in a little while.

9. TrainSim-Steve

Bear with us guys, we're working on it. Will update once it's gone out.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 3
  10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Literally everyone's waiting... :)

Y'all know that DTG is proud to be the only company that managed to break Steam years ago... :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pookeyhead

Take your time. Measure twice... cut once LOL. I was just reassuring the other guy that it's not just him :)

12. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I doubt the only company that has, there have been bigger games, forza horizon and fifa on there now (although not sure if the latter downloads from steam)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

It's out!

Version is now v73.6a

and indeed, the core game engine files GameManagerVC have shrunk by a Kilobyte for 32bits and 2 KB for 64 bits, so some redundant code has been pruned.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  14. TrainSim-Steve

Update should now be live.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Then it was the first, I think I saw it on a Youtube video, can't find it now. Steam was temporarily shut down because it wasn't prepared for the record breaking amount of depots needed... must have been when RailSimulator became RailWorks...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
  16. Pookeyhead

Updated. All good here so far.

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Made some quick tests in the editor on Hudd, creating very long consists and moving them around the map quickly, which was almost a guarantee for an OOM.

I have to say, after some hardcore checking, we've got what was promised - stability!!!

A big thanks to your team TrainSim-Steve , go have some pints now! Cheers :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  18. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

For me the FPS have been doubled on most of routes that I've tested. Where I earlier had 100fps, I now have way above 200fps. And one of the worst places I know of in TS, Villingen (Konstanz-Villingen route), the FPS have increased from 15-18 to 35+. Didn't expect this to happen with the update, so a big thanks to the team who have been working on the update :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

It doesn't seem to be working for me, for some reason. The game comes up in the window at the bottom of the taskbar, but it just shows a white screen inside. and doesn't do anything. This is in both 32 and 64-bit versions.

20. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

Mine gets as far as selecting a loco to test the new build and then it stalls / hangs.. Just tested on "Build" menu option for my new route and I can use the route builder fine but once I go back to the menu screen it just hangs as its trying to load up the route graphics. Looks to me like it might be a menu issue

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Everything's fine here. Will now move my Content/Assets from the backup folder to the new installation :)

Some advice:

- Clear the cache
    - delete Content\SDBCache.bin + RVDBCache.bin + tmcache.dat

if there's still issues, delete PlayerProfiles.bin (resets all settings)

• Like Like x 1
  22. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

upload_2023-4-27_19-14-1.png Tried loading in 32 bit and it produced this error which rather supports my thinking that there may be a problem on my machine with the menu's

23. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Steam eh? Don’t you just love them. Thank God I backed everything up this afternoon.

Not only has it nuked my settings but Steam has done a verify and wiped out all my mods and 3rd party content. Classic.

Still, stoked for these updates. Keep them coming!

• Like Like x 1
  24. TrainSim-Steve

Anyone running into problems, can you get tickets into Customer Support, please so we can help/obtain info from you.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

Game broken!
    It goes to the menu and then hangs completely, I have to turn off my PC!!
    Win 11 - i5 12400 - rtx 3060 - 16 gb ram 3600 ghz ssd Crucial 1 to ...
    I checked the game files to see, I'm really disgusted if I have to reinstall the whole game, I have many free dlcs and a lot of paid dlcs!
    I have at least 1 week to reinstall everything just for the dlc free.
    Thanks for breaking the game (as for TSW....)

26. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

The game (sort of) starts now, but it locks up as soon as I go into the quick drive menu (also, the game is in full-screen mode, despite being set to windowed, the graphics are very fuzzy, and all the click points on the buttons are misaligned).

27. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Nothing DTG can do about, that's why I renamed my RailWorks folder and did the update on a small vanilla installation. Matter of seconds to copy the new files over.

QD also no issues here...
    2023-04-27 20_25_51-Train Simulator (x64).png

• Like Like x 1
  28. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

So I think I have nailed it down - deleted my existing player profile ( after making a back up copy). Restarted and allowed program to build me a new one. At start up got offered an initial menu / screen I don't usually see that was a choice of Academy or Main Menu. On selecting main menu my normal menu view then worked OK and picked up existing assets etc. Restarted after this change and then the main menu started up as normal without that initial screen. Replaced new build player profile with old player profile and the error reappeared. So there is something in the playerprofile that is causing the menu to hang. Now off to do a file compare and see what it might be.

• Like Like x 3
  29. JetWash

The game seems fine for me. It’s just that Steam has done a file verify without asking and trashed all my content. I wish there was a way to turn that off! Anyway, thankfully I backed it up….I so very very nearly didn’t.

torfmeister, that’s what I should have done. I have a full back up and today backed up the Assets, Content etc to it, except it’s on a different disk. I’ve got to copy it all back now, all 330GB of it. My mistake though.

• Like Like x 1
  30. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yep, that's what Steam does when checking for updates. It's intended to reset everything to "factory" state. That's the big advantage of ETS2, loading your mods from the Documents folder.

I have the backup on the same partition, so moving goes fast as lightning as no data is physically transferred, only NTFS journal updated.

31. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

So far so good. I put some stress by switching multiple usual OOM providers routes, (Just Trains Westernlines complete and others) and not a single crash.
    Ofc it needs deeper testing in long scenario but im very optimistic !

32. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

What content get trashed ? I still have my Just Trains folders, AP and so on ? Maybe something im missing ?

33. Pookeyhead

Well... don't know what to say, but all fine here, or at least the same as it was. Still get the occasional vertex buffer issue if I tab to the taskbar with the game running, but that's nothing to do with this update. There's a slight frame rate increase... possibly 10% or so. So far, so good. Nothing missing... all 3rd party stuff seems to be OK, although obviously not tested everything yet.
    There's bound to be something though :) I've probably just not found it yet :) Likewise... looking forward to the DX12 update tomorrow, and everything else to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  34. JetWash

It’s Steam. It ran a file verify (which it seems to do totally at random) so everything that had ever been altered reverted back to the steam version. So all AP EP’s / Soundpacks etc, reskins, texture mods etc gone bye bye. May thine be truly grateful for a backup!

35. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Everything that modifies original files, e.g. adjusted cabcams. Or unpacked .ap files. 3rd party content that installs into its own folders will not be affected. Also not scenarios.

The issue with AP is that most of it gets installed to preexisting folders like Kuju\RailSimulator. Problematic.

But ways to avoid this have been discussed - like moving your RailWorks folder away from the Steam Library. Udates must be transferred manually then.

• Like Like x 2
  36. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

So I uninstalled the whole game, maybe it's a free asset that's hurting the game.

I just saw that maybe I too should have deleted my profile before to try!!!

It does not matter, I immediately reinstall the original game without any free assets, it will give me a new and clean installation.
    I'm lucky to have the fiber and in 50 minutes everything will be over.
    I will reinstall the free dlcs as I go.

37. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

People. For Petes sake. Backup. Then install. Will people ever learn?

• Like Like x 2
  38. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

I have got a large number of errors actually - all with the menu - it is now only allowing a limited number of locos / routes to be displayed before it hangs and my computer is showing very high power usage etc. I have a back up but the thought of having to do a complete rebuild doesn't fill me with glee to be honest

39. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Will now merge the update with my backup and see if all goes well.

40. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

so far so good. no performance improvement(obviously), but it successfully updated to newer version. wallpaper is much better than previous version personally. appreciate for big work!

41. Pookeyhead

Oh well.... spoke too soon. The game freezes on the quick drive menu if I move pages. It always freezes on the same quick drive page as it's loading in the thumbnails...

Screenshot 2023-04-27 20.13.30.jpg

42. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Same here.

43. Pookeyhead

I just tried going backwards instead of forwards through the pages, and it doesn't freeze on any other page except the one shown above, so it's something to do with one of those routes, or the image files it's trying to load in. Wasn't liverpool to manchester one of the routes that was mentioned in the update that someone posted on here earlier?

44. Kim Olesen

Deleted…

45. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Seems to be working fine here, still launches in 32-bit from the desktop icon though? And I guess DX12 gets enabled automatically if you have a capable GPU, I didn't seem to find any way to enable/disable it in settings in-game... (The Steam page still lists only DirectX9, but I guess that might not have been fully upgraded yet...)

46. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

Not working for me - set audio to 64 bit. Hmmm time for a brew and a think

47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Decided to edit a Freeware route which had a missing Signal.
    In to Build > Pick Route, find location, place Signal then Save.
    4 mins later it has saved the route

48. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Where do you find this?

49. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

needs to rebuild tracks.bin, that's normal

50. Kim Olesen

Off the top of my head it’s one of the files in the railworks folder.