Workshop Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARuscoe, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I dabble in scenario creation and in the past I have always worked on trying to make engaging scenarios with the minimum of DLC requirements.

Given that I have spent the last week making a real time representation of a service from Cardiff to Taunton (as for as Bristol TM) that was actually scheduled to run last Thursday at 15:00

So to the question.

Given that I am modelling every single service running through Cardiff, along the South Wales Mainline and into Bristol, as you probably understand there are a lot of different consists that would have been in use (including classes 143, 150, 158, HST, 800, 220, 70 etc)

Would you prefer to have a minimal DLC load but have one or two units in the wrong livery or even a replacement train (mainly to avoid the 220 DLC to avoid one single XC consist on the whole route) or would you prefer to have a high DLC load to make it as accurate as possible.

One thing to note, no changes to DLC have been made in this instance that would change timings. Using 3 DLC I can create the whole route as a decent representation of timings / passing locations and stops.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Personally I look at a Scenario and see how many reskins I need to run the scenario
    By using the 801, which is available as a reskin, means I would have to download and install it.
    And then look to see what else I would need to download

Somebody else had done a scenario for Waterloo - Portsmouth and had used a lot of AP Sound/Enhancement packs.
    Which is OK for the player train but buying them for EMUs I might not drive very often puts me off
    Ok, I can swap the stock with RW Tools but then the enjoyment goes if I have to spend 30 mins changing and saving for a 30 min scenario.

3. ARuscoe

Me too, just wondered if it annoyed people that the "Crosscountry service from Nottingham to Cardiff" which would be a Class 220 in real life is actually a class 158 which would have a similar timetable in game.

The service timings are all accurate, but it means you need three DLC rather than 8 or 9

On the 801, Would I be able to put that on the workshop because of external content?

4. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

I too am put off by large amounts of re-skins. These days I just don't bother any more if I see all the links to other sites to get downloads, bah.
    Its a shame really as all the hard work to make the scenario can't be seen and enjoyed by the many who don't want every Tom Rick and Harry's version of a re-skin for every train ever ran in history.
    Use of another item instead is just called "Artistic License" and is always welcome in my books.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Mark me as also against scenarios that require numerous re-skins, not to mention lots of DLC in general. If I find myself tempted to insert "foreign" (i.e.: rolling stock not included with the route on which the scenario takes place) engines or waggons, I make a "plain vanilla" version first and then, if the temptation lingers, which it seldom does, insert non-included materiel. After all, I'd rather have people drive my scenarios than avoid them.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Currently Cross Country uses 3 car Class 170 units on the Nottingham Cardiff run - No 220s to Nottingham.

7. ARuscoe

Thanks for that
    I won't be using those units either

8. ARuscoe