Loco Dlcs: Do You Prefer All Scenarios On A Single Route?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwf.green, Apr 29, 2023.

Tags:
?
  1. All scenarios on a single route.

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Scenarios split over multiple routes.

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) most loco/train DLC (by that I mean a DLC that only includes a locomotive or train, and not a route) usually have all their scenarios play on a single route.

Note: This thread is about scenarios rather than timetable services. Timetable services fortunately often layer on multiple routes already.

The benefit of this is that you at most need to buy a single route to play all the scenarios. It also allows you to "get to know" that specific route in the context of driving that specific locomotive or train.

The downside is that you lose variability in setting/environment. Let's take an existing loco DLC as an example. The Dispolok BR182. Being owned by a leasing company this locomotive could be seen almost everywhere in Germany (and even in some neighbouring countries as well). The DLC had 3 scenarios. Rather than all being on Kassel-Würzburg they could've been divided over 3 routes: 1 on Dresden-Riesa, another on Dresden-Chemnitz and the third on Kassel-Würzburg. Or in some other permutation (2 on KWG, the remaining on DRA or DCZ).

I haven't really heard many opinions on what people prefer from these two options so I thought a poll would be interesting. I'd also love to hear your thoughts in more detail: Why you choose one of the options or perhaps if you prefer scenarios divided over multiple routes if you want them maximally divided or maybe a chunk on one route and then a few single scenarios on other routes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I think it would be quite interesting to have the scenarios spilt over routes, as for me the variety is very important and generally the scenarios have something in them which wouldn't happen in a normal timetable service and, so, this in turn adds that extra experience into other routes. It could potentially breathe new life into older routes as well, which is always a good thing.

3. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of marketing: how do you sell a DLC that requires a lot of other DLCs in order to play all the content?
    Imagine someone buying the Loco Bundle, who only owns TSW3 Standard Edition. They could only play a fraction of the scenarios, unless they go out and buy DCZ, DRA, etc.

I think a much better option would be separate DLCs for scenarios and timetable services, like the "New Journeys" DLCs. Adding separate scenarios and timetable layers on existing routes, to mix in locos and rolling stock you already own.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

What if only 1 of the scenario is on the trainset you, and the others are on trainset(s) you do not own, it would then loose it appeal to many players as they would not be able to play all the scenario

• Like Like x 2
  5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yes in all fairness it was just gone 2300 so my brain didn't take it into consideration. Even if most of the scenarios were for it's 'home' route and then maybe one or two were for others.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Easy one this
    The default five or six scenarios on the loco home route
    Plus another two or three on a route it will layer to

• Like Like x 2
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A few corrections about timetable services first of all. When a loco DLC releases it usually only has a timetable for the one route. It then may appear on later routes but not earlier ones unless it is an actual locomotive and then it may substitute on existing services in older routes. It is a new concept with the Acela where it released with timetable services on more than one existing route.

This has meant that usually all content (timetable and scenarios) is for the one route with only substitution on other routes or later layers provided if routes are revisited for updates, which is rare.

For scenarios it has also been the case that they are all made for that one route that the loco DLC is released for. This should remain the case if it is also the case that the usual three scenarios are all that will be made. If the number of scenarios is increased then they can be spread across multiple routes. What I can’t envisage happening is that any loco DLC will be released with substantial content spread across numerous routes. If the playable content is to remain at the present level then the usual practice should also be followed.

If on the other hand there is a certain loco that will only have a few services on a route, like the RHTT then I see no reason why that can’t have scenarios and timetable content for more than one route released at the same time. An Amtrak train-set that has a few services each on all US freight routes would be an acceptable level of playable content if such a train was to be released as a loco DLC.

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Regardless of what I think of your idea (really like that example of the Dispolok 182), cwf.green, ^^ this will be the downfall of it. I’d be surprised if DTGs’ beancounters won’t quickly show you the door when approached with this idea. Imagine a casual/new customer looking at the description of a 15€ loco DLC and reading that they should own 3 route DLCs 35€ a piece for the ‘full’ experience.

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Have them split on multiple routes because some routes have services that run onto the other route for example 1F09 on ECW does continue to BML so is the return trip 1F96 & 2C96. In the case of a Loco DLC Dispolok Baureihe 182 Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg & Köln Aachen where you can run it at 200kmh during the evening and daytime towards Aachen Hbf as ÖBB Nightjet 424/425

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't care much about scenarios. I'd rather see more content for Timetable mode, preferably spread over multiple routes.

• Like Like x 5
  11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If I'm buying a loco DLC my expectation would be about 3 scenarios of the home route. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

But what I really don't want to see is loco X having 3 scenarios across 3 different routes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This would be an obsolete question if we had a decent scenario planner.

Besides, the question is asked here for scenarios. You may ask the same question for journey chapters.

I am hesitating. With TSC we have a workshop where you see that sometimes you need huge amounts of content. to play something and there is not an easy to use substitution mechanism in case you do not own specific content. The next step would be that for scenarios you need several routes and several loco DLC to play them. It is exactly for this reason DTG is a bit reluctant with loco DLC because how beautiful it may be only a small amount of players will be able to play a specific scenario.

Now it is already not very helpful that in principle identical rolling stock is duplicated over routes to make sure the rolling stock can be adapted per route.
    Considering all this, I think DTG should move away from the use of scenarios and extend what you can do in a timetable, like cold boot and refuelling operations.The first may be a bit complicated, but I think DTG could create scripting variants for AI (no cold boot) and player content. Because as a player you normally select a service before the simulation starts. If not, you take control in a yard or at a platform in which case this should not be an issue.For AI trains it would be possible to set the engine state on departure, to make sure it all is set properly, which may be a useful addition anyway.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would suggest maximum coverage... As an example if we got the much requested Class 108 DMU, it would fit on NTP, TVL and WCL.
    However I agree the priority should be fitting into a timetable layer, either additional or substitution. The huge limitation of TSC is that you are stuck with whatever scenarios the route creator decides to include, the chance of finding something suitable on Workshop or delving in the editor to make your own.

14. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

As others have already mentioned, the absolute priority should be to offer timetable layers on multiple routes for loco DLCs. This would make loco DLCs accessible to a wider playerbase because you don’t have to own a single specific route to use the loco in the timetable.
    I honestly don’t mind locos having a “home route” where they are 100% accurate, have a really good timetable and a few scenarios. Examples for this include the RHTT and ROG add-ons, both of which have especially nice services and scenarios on SEHS, but have also started to appear in the timetables of other routes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

16. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

And maybe High Iron Simulations could jump on and make TSW Scenarios for the US routes?

17. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

It all depends on the DLC. With a German Freight loco DLC, for example, I don't need any extra scenarios. For the BR 103, I would like a decent scenario for Kassel-Würzburg, one where you can drive the BR 103 at Top Speed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  18. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

I like thing as they are BUT that doesn't mean that things can't change in the future
    Take for example the RHTT! This loco pack is sort of set for SEHS but we've been told by Matt that it could be seen included for future routes so I think it would be great if when these future routes are being developed there are 1 or 2 additional scenarios developed for that loco pack that will only show if you have the loco pack installed (not sure if they could make that bit work!) If that was possible then it would certainly give those of us with the loco packs a bit more bang for our bucks!