Glasgow Central To Ayr / Largs / Wemyss Bay / Gourock

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gordon7000, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Glasgow Central routes to the above Clyde Coast towns. I don't think TS20xx ever featured them. It would be great to see them in TSW.

Glasgow to Ayr and Glasgow to Largs follow the same route as far as Kilwinning (about half-way).
    From Kilwinning, one train service proceeds South to Ayr, passing through Troon and Prestwick Airport stations to Ayr (the terminus). The other train service passes through Kilwinning and then heads north via Ardrossan, West Kilbride and Fairlie to Largs (terminus).

[​IMG]

Glasgow to Wemyss Bay and Glasgow to Gourock also follow a common route for part of the journey. However the service to Gourock proceeds via Greenock to arrive at Gourock ferry terminal (for Dunoon), while the service to Wemyss Bay proceeds via Inverkip to arrive at Wemyss Bay ferry terminal (for Rothesay).

Map

[​IMG]

(These train destinations link up not only with ferries but also with the world's last sea-going paddle steamer - the 'Waverley', which operates on the Clyde Coast during the summer months.)

These four routes have a journey time of approximately 1 hour or less - so they are not unduly long. I first travelled on these routes in the days of steam locomotives, and continued through DMUs to the present EMUs.

[​IMG]

Now, these routes, are being operated mainly by ScotRail's class 380s or similar. All lines are electrified.

The Royal Scotsman rail tour train - hauled by a diesel loco - has made visits to Wemyss Bay.

EWS (now DB), GBRf, and Freightliner formerly operated freight services from Hunterston Terminal near Fairlie to Longannet (now closed) and Drax Power Stations, travelling on the Largs to Glasgow lines and beyond.

Distances
    Four separate routes (all routes common between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street stations)
    Glasgow - Ayr : 32 miles
    Glasgow - Largs : 35 miles
    Glasgow - Wemyss Bay : 25 miles
    Glasgow - Gourock : 23 miles

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  2. redgor thenoob

redgor thenoob Member

This route would be awesome. Plenty of opportunity. I remember reading somewhere that they would have liked to bring this route to TS. I even made an attempt at it myself but for the life of me I was never able to get stations and tracks sorted out properly, a Modder for TS I was not.. This is my local line ( Gourock train passes right past my window) and I have travelled on each leg of the route numerous times growing up. Aye train to go to everyone's favourite holiday destination in the 80s, Burkina. Going to Irvine for the magnum centre and the fair ground that was outside it. As I said, plenty of scope and in the future if older locos get released you could make it era specific. The 303 that was released on ts came already equipped with the destinations as did the 380s that came on the GARL route. I would LOVE to see this in tsw, that dlc I would not have second thoughts about paying £20 for

• Like Like x 4
  3. DeclanGamer75

DeclanGamer75 New Member

Would be awesome, originally from around this area!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rodmerrall70

rodmerrall70 New Member

Good Idea

5. deancalder15

deancalder15 Active Member

When release date soon?

6. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

No. It's just a proposal. These routes would need to gain sufficient votes for it to be considered for development.

7. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

Would be a cracker, and if you could set up for delays , more red and amber sigs I would be a happy bunny.

8. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice, network-style route that's just the right length for DTG to consider it. If they set in in the modern era, it could also include only 1 loco- the class 380. Perhaps not a sell for customers, but a sell for DTG and something I'm sure people could get over.

9. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I would love to see the class 380

10. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

It certainly is unique. I just meant that every time there's a route with only 1 loco or multiple unit, someone complains. (IMO as long as that loco covers all the important traffic on the line, it's fine).