Peak Forest Preview Stream - Q & A Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dtg_jan, May 3, 2023.

1. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Hey gang!

Please use this thread to post any questions regarding our Peak Forest Preview Stream, which will happen tomorrow, May 4th at 18:00 UTC / 19:00 BST.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Assuming the screenshots and short video of banking are representative of the final product, why do the freight services not have a guard's van which was compulsory in 1963?

[IGNORE THIS - VANS ARE PRESENT!]

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  3. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

• Have you thought about introducing a steam layer to West Somerset Railway? One of the few preserved 4Fs was even stationed there until late 2019, so a layer would be quite historically accurate! I believe Matt stated he’d love to see steam on WSR back when Liverpool-Crewe came out.
    • Judging by the walkaround video and the screenshots you shared, there does seem to be improved scenery along the route. I’m noticing new grass and bushes, nice texture colors and rock shapes. Can we expect this new scenery quality to be upheld for future releases?

• Like Like x 2
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why have you left out a complete tranche of services, i.e. the Millers Dale to Buxton shuttle? Can you confirm you intend to put those services in at some point? Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Just a couple from me
    • Is there more liklihood of getting more dlc to flesh this route out? As many of us feel like SOS has been left very empty and there was a lot of hints at release there was space to be filled out in new dlc.
    • Are pick up and drop off freight services included at all? It would be a really nice addition and typical to how freight worked back then :)
    • What kind of sources were used in the making of the route and how did that impact upon choosing the 4F specifically over say something more suited to local passenger trains?
    • Will custom liveries be able to be used on this route as it would be a nice addition for variation?
    • Is the timetable more realistic/human calculated? As many people found the unrealistic running times on SOS to be frustrating?
    • How realistic is the timetable layout? Have you used much creative license to be able to work in more varied content?

6. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

1. What's the number range for the 4F?
    2. Is there any other use for the 4F to be used on other routes?
    3. What are the current/future plans, if any, for Steam locos (even non-promised ones) after Peak Forest?

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Is it a static/hollow 4F that sits on WSR as mastery or is it something different?

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Most of mine reprise what's already been mentioned in the forum but anyway...
    Please justify why the route did not start at Derby (accepting also running to Manchester would have been a large undertaking). We have a route that essentially runs nowhere to nowhere instead of having at least one big traffic centre.
    Why is there no diesel layer when this type of traction was just as prevalent on the route in 1963 as declining steam. You can find resources to retask the 323 for MGH, but not the Class 45 into green livery.
    Why is there no DMU for the Miller's Dale shuttle, either the Class 104 which was allocated to the service by then, or at least a reskinned and revised interior 101?
    Why have we still got no buffet or restaurant car in express formations, either a RMB, RBR or similar?
    Why do the screenshots show a route that is almost squeaky clean and over bright with light saturation?

Are there any plans to, 1. Extend to Derby, 2. Get a Class 45 in the route, 3. Get a Class 104 in the route, 4. Get a catering car in the formation? Or is this another fire and forget DLC which you will be proclaiming with great fanfare tomorrow but in three months time shelved and relegated to a "former" product?

• Like Like x 9
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The 4F in the mastery tile is essentially the outer shell of the Train Sim Classic model, so no connection whatsoever to TSW’s 4F. I was asking about playable steam services.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Does the Jubilee and 8F have any notable differences to the versions included in Spirit of Steam? (e.g. any era-appropriate fittings or livery modifications such as more weathering).

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I knew you were asking about playable steam services, I was just trying to figure out if it was the 4F that was there already or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

All of this - and the additional question that given the route was announced earlier than usual, why was all (and it was essentially all) of the community feedback ignored? There was a whole thread where people with a deep knowledge of the route and operation made (imo) very sensible suggestions to bring this route up to a level where we would have been collectively happy with it and where it could have shone.

(I would also note that not only were we ignored in terms of our requested features, nobody from DTG has found the time to be (reasonably) open and explain why to us that we could not have the route scope that we collectively requested. To be honest it feels a bit condescending towards a community that spends quite a lot of time and money on the product. I don't mean any ill will towards any one person in particular, but it's really disappointing.)

• Like Like x 6
  13. theorganist

It seems to be with historic routes so far on TSW that they fall short in some way. Obviously you know there will be compromises that is understandable but when you have complete sets of services missing, or stupid layers or misrepresented trains like the class 101 it makes you wonder how seriously historic routes are taken.

If MML came out with just a HST and no 158 and therefore no local services at all can you imagine the outcry, well it wouldn't happen. Even the meagre timetable is being worked on, yet SOS/Peak Valley have complete sets of services missing but that is deemed acceptable, yet apparently "gameplay" is of utmost importance.

SEHS had the wrong ballast and the wrong fence that was swiftly changed but incorrect of incomplete rolling stock on a historic route, no problem. It isn't as if the material and knowledge isn't out there and I would always be happy to help with research if they asked especially where first generation DMU's are concerned as that is my main interest and I am sure many others on here would too.

• Like Like x 7
  14. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I think we covered the rationale for the route start and end points in the April Roadmap: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...es/article/train-sim-world-roadmap-april-2023

When we look at the extents of any route project, we look at more than just where trains naturally start and end, consider what we want to focus on, and what the key elements of a project are. In this case, the journey from Ambergate to Chinley across the Peak Forest and the Wye Valley, as well as really capturing the incredible beauty of this area of railway line were our primary goals.

We want to provide immersive player experiences, and we felt like this was the best option. Hopefully during the preview streams you’ll see what we mean!

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

Point taken but we are also looking to simulate an operational railway which has it's logical start point at Derby, also historically regarded as the gateway to the Peak District. Neither Ambergate, nor Chinley for that matter, are even calling points for many of the express services on this route. To the casual observer it still looks like a fudge to manage the route building capacity at your company.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Can you show us the 4F’s valve gear in detail?

17. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Have lessons been learned about not including a Diesel layer into a route that was heavily dieselised?

• Like Like x 2
  18. theorganist

I have not doubt it is going to be very beautiful and I am sure it will be clear a lot of love has gone into it, the screenshots so far bare this out. Obviously the main focus of the route is the scenic element however from an immersion point of view it doesn't work. If this was a modern route with a similar start point there would be much anger.

In fact driving an express from industrial Derby and heading out into the beautiful Peak district would actually provide a very immsersive element.

The only way I will purchase this route is if they address the missing services on the Millers Dale branch as that is another aspect of "gameplay" missing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. OldVern

Indeed. Imagine GEML starting at Ilford and finishing at Witham, or the LSW main line starting at Wimbledon and finishing at Pirbright. That's pretty much what they've done here.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve just noticed in the stream that the descriptions for the passenger services don’t say where you are driving from or to but just say where the service goes to off the map like in the service names (example pictured below). Combined with how after Add-ons Manager came to PS5 the mini map no longer shows where your service starts this will make it impossible to know what service you are about to drive from the menu. Can this be fixed for release DTG Matt ? IMG_0460.png

• Like Like x 1
  21. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Not for release - but I'll feed back to the team for how we improve it.

• Like Like x 2
  22. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Hey gang!
    The VOD for the preview stream can be found here, it now also features time stamps :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. tranquil#5345

tranquil#5345 Member

The BR number range was from 43835 to 44606. A total of 772 of them were built.

It would be historically accurate to add them to Liverpool-Crewe as this is also an LMS route of the right era. They worked all over the UK, from the Somerset and Dorset Railway (Bath to Bournemouth) in the south of England to the Inverness to Wick line in the north of Scotland.

• Like Like x 2