Glossop Line: Manchester Piccadilly - Hadfield And Glossop

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer, May 2, 2023.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Glossop-Line-Route-Map (1).jpg

The Glossop Line has been revealed in this month's TSW Roadmap, and i'm going to take a little bit of time to try and give a little insight into what this will feature.

Trains
    As announced in the Roadmap, the BR Class 323 will be our included locomotive. Already featured in TSW3: Birmingham Cross City, in West Midlands Railway livery, the 323 now comes back for a second time, featured in Northern Livery.

The driving experience will be pretty much the same, although the visuals of the train will be difference.
    [​IMG]

A Class 323 rounds a corner, near Dinting on the Glossop Line.

The Route

The Route from Manchester to Glossop clocks in at 13 Miles.

Services take roughly 40 Minutes to complete this section, calling at:
    Ardwick (Limited Glossop Services)
    A somewhat run down inner-city station.
    [​IMG]

Ashburys
    Seen here with a Class 323 in 2006. The Closest National Rail Station to the City of Manchester (Etihad) Stadium, home to Manchester City FC.
    [​IMG]

Gorton
    Your typical, North of England, suburban station. (Sometimes skipped by services)[​IMG]

Fairfield
    An underused Suburban Station. Not Served by the Glossop line.
    [​IMG]

Guide Bridge

Guide Bridge has a simple 2 platform layout, although, as the isolated catenary to the right of this image suggests, it used to have more. This station is served by the one train per week Stockport-Stalybridge 'Parliamentary' service.
    [​IMG]

Flowery Field
    What a name for a station! Flowery Field serves the Hyde area of Manchester, and has a very similar design to Godley station which you'll see soon.
    [​IMG]

Newton for Hyde
    The Second 'Newton' station in TSW (following Newton on Cathcart Circle Line), Newton for Hyde sits between the two Sibling Stations... Rude...

Seriously though, NfH has some lovely views from it, which will hopefully look good in the end product.
    Newton_for_Hyde_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1282068.jpg

Godley
    Like Flowery Field, Godley has the old school wooden design (from initial opening). (I haven't got much to write about these Stations, as you can tell.)
    [​IMG]

Hattersley

A little Island Platform here at Hattersley, offering something new:
    Hattersley_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1005066.jpg

Broadbottom
    This station actually looks quite nice, proper old school station building to boot.
    [​IMG]

Etherow Viaduct
    Crossing the River Etherow and the little valley around it is the Etherow Viaduct:
    2215030241_fd8c14983b_b.jpg

Dinting Viaduct
    And as you approach Dinting Station (from Manchester), you'll find the magnificent Dinting Viaduct. 1280px-Dinting6265.jpeg

Dinting
    [​IMG]

Dinting is the junction station nearer the end of the line. It has two platforms, one heading towards Hadfield, and one towards Glossop.

The Majority of services go to Glossop and turn back to go to Hadfield, but some peak services go directly to Hadfield from Glossop.

Glossop
    The western terminus, but also not a terminus. All trains stop here and change ends, however most aren't finished their journey until they reach Hadfield or Manchester.

Hadfield
    [​IMG]

Hadfield is a terminus no matter what service goes here, all trains go to Manchester, some stop at Glossop, some don't.

Timetable
    Services are half-hourly along this line,
    departing Manchester at:
    ××:03 (Arr H'ld - roughly ××:42 (same hour))
    ××:33 (Arr. H'ld - roughly ××:12 (next hour))

and, in reverse, leaving Hadfield at:
    ××:14 (Arr. Picc - roughly ××:55 (same hour))
    ××:44 (Arr. Picc - roughly ××:25 (next hour))

AI Services

Depending on when the Route is set, the HST and Class 158 from Midland Mainline could serve to represent East Midlands Trains services to, from, and through Manchester and the surrounding lines.

I don't think Freight offers too much for this line.

That's a short overview of the upcoming Glossop Line route. Feel free to add any info of your own.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 38
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The parliamentary "ghost train" from Stockport to Stalybridge and back only runs once a week.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Very nice summary. Only one small note, the majority of trains don’t call at Ardwick. Just a couple in the peaks, I believe.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Really like this thread, thank you for sharing!

• Like Like x 10
  5. Tom19721997

Tom19721997 Member

Ive got to admit thanks for sharing that information u must live close to have that kind knowledge or did u just look it up either way thank you

6. trainsimplayer

I researched it as part of a suggestion for the Hope Valley Line. I live in Scotland, although I've been down to the Manchester/Liverpool area a few times, including a couple of trips via Piccadilly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. trainsimplayer

Thanks JD. Really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. A nice change of pace (and region) for UK content, something I've been silently wishing for in the last few months.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

Nice thread!!

9. Tom19721997

Tom19721997 Member

Aye same should looked profile 1st to see class 380 and 314 i dont know what station know but yeah i enjoy Cathcart circle alot and just brought and playing as i type luzern sursee so this route im looking forward to and your information confirmed that good see northern on the game i just want i know its such a rare train and class 156 is proably the train someone will make but northern class 155 it would be amazing by way not saying for this route that train just in general since dtg have got northern liscense for tsw

10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The oddest thing for me about this route is the lack of sales opportunities for addons at a later date. I mean nothing else runs down here in the current period.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

That’s nicely done. I like the fact they kept the old catenary gantries at some section from the defunct Woodhead Line that I wish to see on TSW as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lcyrrjp

The catenary is an interesting feature of the route, and something which it is important - to capture the character of the route - to do well.

The route was electrified at 1500v DC, and later switched to 25Kv AC. However the gantries were retained and the majority of the 25Kv AC equipment is hung from the gantries erected for the 1500v DC electrification. This is why they are of an unusual appearance for UK electrification.

The 1500v DC electrification did not require the same clearances under gantries and bridges as 25Kv AC. When the changeover happened the clearances were not increased as they really should have been, meaning the route is rather prone to power flashovers, causing delays.

Edit; most of those gantries you can see in the photos are 70 years old and still doing what they were built for.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

I really hope we get the Hope Valley Line? Maybe Hope Valley line will merge with Clossop Line in the future This route could including Rolling stock
    Class 323
    Class 331 (Future DLC)
    Hope Valley (Future expansion maybe)

14. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Can't help but think how much better this would have been if it had been the London Overground...I'd of paid full whack for that just to see less trees.

• Like Like x 3
  15. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

But nonetheless, I'm excited for this route I hope it gets expanded on in the future for the Hope Valley line

16. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I hope DTG will recreates the route as in real life with the good gantries at the right location as it’s gonna be a short route around 13 miles if I reckon correctly. I love old gantries and I still enjoy when I see some around my place that are nearly 100 years for some. It was electrified at 1.5Kv DC and not 750 V DC, then converted at 25 Kv AC

• Like Like x 2
  17. trainsimplayer

Not everyone's cup of tea is the same as yours. People have been crying out for a modern North of England route for ages now.

• Like Like x 6
  18. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Very good overview mate and has weirdly made me sort of look forward to it's release, especially at 20 quid.

I would rather have this than the overground.

• Like Like x 6
  19. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Hopefully some AI container freight and EMT class 158s are included at Manchester Piccadilly

• Like Like x 3
  20. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

Very short route. But I’m pleased that they’re not charging full price for it. Hopefully this will be a nice detailed route to compensate for the size.

21. lcyrrjp

So it was, sorry - I’m getting confused with the 3rd rail voltage! Duly corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  22. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

It’s alright we all make mistakes

23. locobilly

Reason I wrote that is because with the LO you'd have a brand new train in the brilliant 378 Capital star instead of a rehashed train. That's a no brainer really. Also the 378 would layer in with the SE network. Miles better.

• Like Like x 5
  24. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Another missed opportunity to appeal to the railway enthusiasts who remember going to Guide Bridge to watch class 25s, 37s, 40s, 47s, 56s, and the 1500volt class 76s going about their business. Now reduced from 4 platforms to two, only units and the occasional freight pass through. In the words of Jim Bowen of Bullseye fame, "here's what you could have won"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhead_line

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  25. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The 378 would just be another electrostar train with a few differences. At least the 323 is a good unit which is interesting as modern emus go. There are other areas and eras rather than modern and southeast. The East of England still has no routes at all.

• Like Like x 3
  26. locobilly

The 378 looks and drives nothing like the 377 in fairness, hence the new name "Capitalstar. Also it could have layered onto SE and Clapham Jct. in London Commuter.
    As for this backwater Glossop Line - well nobody has ever requested it, which kind of says it all really. It'll be yet another major termini (Manchester) that will be boringly empty with just a Northern 323 to populate the entire station! Just like Glasgow etc. It's a real problem for UK routes, I'd prefer DTG build stuff to start stocking up the big termini to increase immersion. For me it's just a cheap and easy copout for DTG and I shan't be buying it.

• Like Like x 7
  27. trainsimplayer

FTFY

• Like Like x 2
  28. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice tour along the route! I love it already, the region seems so quite and peaceful and I would never have thought there are two viaducts!! :)

• Like Like x 3
  29. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I’m glad it isn’t London Overground. The UK is so much more than London and the more routes outside of it, the better. I’m happy with the route choice and it’s nice to have something that you can drop in for a shorter session if you’re pushed for time.

Focusing on building stock is a nice idea but it’s difficult for the UK as you have a fan base split across multiple areas, eras and they all have to be catered to. Personally as someone who much prefers historic content, I’d get bored fast if all routes were modern just to focus on building a modern stock library.

Besides, the 323 is one of the best units in the game. Having it in another livery on a route it runs in real life is hardly a bad thing! :)

• Like Like x 6
  30. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see this built as a network, rather than a single branch - doing so would give more long-term playability. Matt was talking on the stream about the balance between long and short routes, and I reckon a network provides both. Including the iconic Stockport to Stalybridge service and/or the Rose Hil/Marple branches would make a good little network, with perhaps a Northern 150 or 158.

• Like Like x 4
  31. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

JD, please congratulate the team at DTG for issuing this route.

Short is not everyones cup of tea, I know, but for me it’s absolutely perfect. Plenty of stations and a lot to do and see. If DTG can replicate it similar to the photos above, we are getting a fantastic route and at £20, it seems a bargain.

In my youth I worked in Manchester and haven’t been to Piccadilly for over 50 years, so I will be interested to see DTGs version of the old London Road Station. Can’t wait to find out the release date, which I suspect will be in July sometime.

• Like Like x 5
  32. redrev1917

After a bit of reflection here's my thoughts on the route.

As long as it's well made with minimal bugs then the price point is fair, I do enjoy the 323 to drive but the biggest reason I don't drive it as often as I would like to is that on BCC is the length of services with most being in excess of 1hour, this gives me the chance to drive the 323 on a shorter route so that's a big draw for me.

Im glad we finally get Northern onboard as it brings a wealth of opportunities, but if I'm honest as we are getting a short branch I'd have much preferred a diesel branch in the hands of a pacer or super sprinter. But I get why theyve gone for another AC line.

Will I buy it? Possibly not on day 1 or even pre-order (even with a discount, I mean what's two quid going to get me) but as long as the initial unbiased reviews are positive overall then yes I'll be adding this to my collection. My biggest overriding concern is variety and longevity, other than perhaps a round trip behind the RHTT I don't see what else they could bring to the route to keep it fresh and I fear it will end up like Cartcart where I play it to death then put it away and it only comes out for weddings, christenings and funerals.

Do I love the route? No, but by the same token it does have a number of redeeming features so I certainly don't hate it either.

As a route selection I think it's a C grade, with the keener price point it pushes it up to a B-

• Like Like x 2
  33. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Cant think of anything worse than overground. BCC was dreadfully dull because of the long stopper services and LO would just be as bad

• Like Like x 2
  34. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I suspect a LO route would have been more than £20 anyway.

I would love to see the NLL with the WLL and Goblin lines at some point, would make a nice network but it wouldn't be a £20 route.

• Like Like x 3
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for as they have the ROG 37 and the five coach steam special to layer into routes now. So I have been told on another thread, apparently many would like to see things like this layered in to make a route busier and increase gameplay than aquiese to us bores who prefer realism.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  36. trainsimplayer

Re; the debate about "Building up (collections of) trains for a region" (Thread idea? ;))

Look at this on the flip side.

We now have Glasgow Central & Queen Street, Edinburgh Waverley, London St. Pancras, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham, Liverpool Lime Street*, Crewe*, Manchester Victoria*, Leeds*, Darlington*, London Victoria, Brighton, and Birmingham New Street all in the Game.

*Set in the past

This provides a fantastic base to do exactly that with Regional Hubs with multiple routes coming from them.
    You can't build a catalogue of trains up without building up a catalogue of routes. Now that pretty much every major region of the GB Rail Network, apart from Wales and Anglia, are covered in-game, with these hubs, now is the tile to start looking at building networks around these hubs, and building up rolling stock.

German DLC and the Southern/Southeastern Routes do this well. London Victoria is vibrant on BML because of Southeastern's contribution to it. We see a rare substitution of a Southern 377 on Southeastern 375 services, providing a little bit of variety. And the core of that region's trains, electrostars and networkers, are already there to be used if we decide the SE of England is in fashion again.

Scotland is on its way to doing this and probably could become a well worked network around Glasgow with a 380 + Inverclyde or Ayrshire and the 318+320 with the Argyle Line, or something like that.

Alternatively, for Edinburgh you could achieve it with the Borders Railway, Fife Circle and maybe the North Berwick line/ECML North.

Birmingham could have the Chase Line, or the line up to Crewe.

Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield, or to Liverpool could provide the foundations of a modern Northern Network. Depending on the rolling stock on offer, the leaked Preston - Blackpool route might be able to add to this as well.

London St. Pancras to Bedford would compliment SEHS, Midland Mainline or, if set in the right time, the 700/0.

Brighton has one route to be made and that would be the West Coastway, the 313 and 377 are already there waiting to make new appearances.

What else is there... Derby, Leicester and (less so) Nottingham could hugely benefit from routes involving them - particularly Derby - Sheffield with a 222 perhaps. That would really spice it up a bit.

My point here is, we are now at the stage where we can, and should, be looking towards building up 'regions' of routes that compliment each other in terms of rolling stock, assets, and stuff like that.

• Like Like x 6
  37. redrev1917

If they end up putting the WCLSS on to every Tom, LOVE and Harry route, then it's just another reason to never purchase it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  38. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

If DTG do go down the path of network type routes, I'll only be happy if they do historical ones as well as modern. The network style of route does lend itself to TSW's timetable mode perfectly though.

Something along the lines of Weardale & Teesdale Network in TSW would be the dream, though at 200 miles worth of track, it might be a stretch for TSW currently!

• Like Like x 3
  39. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to see the new Manchester route as a sort of IOW line, where I don’t expect it to be anything like Brighton Mainline or anything but still have it’s likeable quality, if so I’ll probably pick it up eventually.

I only hope Piccadilly to be filled with proper Ai just like any other route, should those locos be/become available in the future.

40. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this route, especially considering it’s not full price. The 323 on Birmingham is getting great reviews, but I haven’t gotten around to buying that route yet, so this will essentially give me a critically acclaimed loco as well as a lovely unique route for little more than the price of a conventional loco-only add-on.
    With the comparatively short route length, I believe we can expect great scenery, textures and attention to detail here. I personally adore shorter and more rural routes, so I’m very glad DTG is still catering to this part of the community and not always exclusively listening to the “I want a 1000km high speed route!!” crowd. If done right, this could sort of become the British Niddertalbahn! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  41. trainsimplayer

I would quite like to see a legacy route in the Southeast or perhaps in Wales.
    And, even despite the time difference, plenty of assets can transfer back (especially for the southeast) to give a realistic, historic, route.

Either that or we build off of Manchester Victoria, Darlington, Liverpool L. Street, Crewe or Leeds.

42. trainsimplayer

^ Note: I am 100% making a thread about the UK and potentially building up routes that compliment each other.

Yk, because I seem to be making all the good threads at the moment. (That aren't rage threads, repeating topics - ok this one did technically but it took a different direction - or "the DTG bad thread")

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This route intrigues me since I have watched several videos of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  44. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Having seen the video, i think this could be a nice little route. Of course the devil is in the details.

• Like Like x 2
  45. trainsimplayer

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/the-connecting-uk-routes-thread.69898/

I'm a man of my word.

46. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think this could be quite good. It's a lot more urban and run-down in appearance than i was expecting as someone not from the UK or familiar with the area- was expecting more rolling hills and and fields tbh.

But, before you yell at me, I think that's great- being from what we call the "rust belt" here in America, it's my favorite type of railroad scenery!

Really hope with the short length that DTG can nail the scenery and grimy vibe as shown in OP's photos- not too shiny and glossy please.

Also the 323 is one of the best-made models in TSW IMO, so i'm looking forward to new rails to drive it on.

• Like Like x 3
  47. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This should have been a Code C Electric DC D Diesel Electric The Woodhead line to Sheffield Victoria and Tinsley Marshalling Yard

48. trainsimplayer

No, the code was correct, because this is the Glossop Line, not the Woodhead Line.

• Like Like x 4
  49. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for correcting me but I see it as Woodhead line before being cut to Hadfield

50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It was originally electrified at 1500v DC with Class 506’s (which as an aside are very similar to the old South African suburban EMU’s) but was modernised to use 25kv AC.

• Like Like x 1