Wherry Line Speed Limits

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by puternut, Jan 23, 2019.

1. puternut

puternut New Member

Just started running this line and have a query as regards speed limits.

Just to the east of Norwich going to Gt Yarmouth is a short bridge - just before the Brundall Gardens station.

Using a class 170DMU I notice a sign showing a speed change - apparently affecting goods only - as the sign shows 20 over 60. Effectively no change for the DMU..

On the same track with a Class 37/4 BUT running an experimental passenger service, I have to slow to 20!

I understood the different speeds wee between frieght and passenger only. Would the weight of the loco affect the limit?

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

For some reason It's not passenger/freight, but MU/loco hauled, so in that case where there is a weak bridge a lightweight multiple unit can waltz across but the heavier engines cannot. I imagine it's to do with pressure gradients when having a multi tonne vehicle compressing the ground at high speed

• Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't think the system can tell the Difference between Loco and MU.
    A Scenario I downloaded had a Network Rail HST and the sign came up as 20 mph.
    When I checked the timings the Author of the Scenario has the train timed as a Fast Goods Train
    I changed it in the Editor to Stopping Passenger and it let me go over at 60 mph

There is nothing in the Manual for the Route saying anything different

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wolf

Wolf Member

I think only the West Highland Mallaig Extension by Thomson Interactive has the MU speed limits, which are shown as a seperate yellow board above the speed limit.
    However as far as I know if they are obeyed or not is largely at the players discretion.

So I would agree with Peter, that it's mainly due to the train type selected.