4th May - Update Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, May 4, 2023.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

When they release some DLC for the missing stopping services they can make a new timetable ;)

I had hoped the timetable issue would have been addressed though.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Gotcha. I'll go make enquiries and find out some answers :)

Thanks for the detail :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 8
  4. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

So I've just completed brake van tour. What a difference! You can easily reach 60mph and no wheelslip at all! Safety valve is much quieter, and the physics are a massive improvent overall. Still no gold though lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

Hi Matt I was just wondering why I haven't got the freight service on the mml are you able to look into it

6. yeah the ai ones matt thank you for your reply im going to test it out soon on a livestream

7. NicoHD

NicoHD Active Member

Matt JD The ICE 3 RB Is Not showing in The Szenario Planner

8. ukairwaysttv

ukairwaysttv New Member

Trying to prepare train and stuck at red 486yrds from the 7 coaches to pick up. Tried 2 different times and the same story.
    How to request clearance through red on xbox controller with classic controls?

9. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

This will be coming in a future patch. It had to be removed just before release, as we had some performance issues.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Me with a train

Me with a train Active Member

I see there’s still no mention of the gen8 LOD issues for the ROG 37

11. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i had a derailment on SEHS doing a freight service 4Z62 Rochester to Tonbridge.

As i was on Dartford station waiting at a red for 4 mins. the train flew off into the air its probably on its way to mars.

12. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to getting back into SOS after this patch and drive again without the AI spads.

13. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

OK thank you

14. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Just wondering now that US piggyback flatcars have the correct daul axle semi trailers,will the European triple axle still at least be in the scenario planner as a options?

15. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to having a go as sos and check this out

16. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Just redone the ROG37 tutorial, one small observation is the Matt's Voice over is a little on the quiet side, especially when outside the loco. The same applies for the American Loco Tutorial

17. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

How do I keep steam pressure up? I’ve got the fireman on automatic but he’s not doing much, really struggling to get speed.

18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Select manual firing in options then make sure both dampers are open. (M and Ctrl M on PC to open, Shift M and Shift Ctrl M to close). Make sure you wind the cutoff back to a mid or low setting as soon as possible and don't necessarily use full regulator, in other words don't rag it like a boy racer in a B&Q car park. In fact one of the earlier text based driving games (Simudrive) used to relieve you of duty for incompetence if you kept the cutoff high for too long. 75% and full regulator is going to put the fire through the chimney.

19. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

CJP car livery is still boring like hell... where is cc randomization?

20. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

FYI I'm still getting missing firemen on at least one service - spawn in on foot at 16:30 at Lime Street and take over the 16:32 departure from platform 2 to replicate.

21. DTG Matt

If you set manual firing, please remember to keep adding coal consistently and regularly. Else you might find "service terminated" messages ending your session unexpectedly. Personally, i'd steer clear of it unless you definitely and absolutely know what you're doing.

Other things that are tracked in the simulation despite simple "firemass" (how much coal is in the firebox) is:

How hot the fire is (too cold and game end - keep it hot with airflow, either dampers or firebox door)
    How much BURNING coal there is vs how much WARMING coal there is - its BURNING coal that contributes to what you're doing so just throwing a load of cold coal on the fire won't stop a service termination if you run out of BURNING coal and it takes a little bit for warming coal to start burning.

None of this is in a UI anywhere, hence, if you don't know what you're doing, steer away from manual firing.

It's perfectly possible to drive the steam engines into orbit with the auto fireman - it's all down to technique.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I'm doing really really fine with the auto fireman. Even managed to set the safety valve off at 80 mph. :D

23. owenroser19

Thanks Matt. You’re definitely right, it needs some practice and finesse.

huge well done to the team for getting this out of the door, it’s made SOS very fun again. And also bolstered my excitement for Peak Forest.

24. DTG Matt

Interesting, can anyone else replicate this?

I've tried this by starting the service directly (fireman appears) and by spawning on foot and taking the service - fireman appears at 16:32 when the service starts.

Matt.

25. OldVern

Indeed. Depending how it goes later, might even drop the tenner on the Cornish steam pack.

26. mattwild55

Aha - think I've found the immediate cause after a bit more testing.

If I stay sat in the driver's seat until 16:32, the fireman appears as normal. However if I take over the service and then walk to the back of the train, ready to uncouple the rear loco as it's the first activity required, the fireman fails to show up. So I think it's something to do with having to be physically sat in the driver's seat when the service starts. Does that make sense?

27. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Nice to see in the update notes for the WCL pack that the rust has been removed from the wheel linkages for the rail tour Jubilees. Was a real bug bear and you'd be shot for a preserved locomotive coming off sheds looking like that :D

28. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

I gave up on SoS when the ‘Express Freight: Northampton - Edge Hill’ journey always failed in that tunnel, I’ve now finally been able to complete it. :)

29. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

With the improvements to steam physics, any chance of longer formations on WCLSS please?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

[TSW2]
    Similar experience to the other pros; hitting 90 at the bottom of the descent before Hartford (Acton Br 3.7mi)
    Manxman 1.jpg
    (and in full hooligan mode, 104 at the end of the descent into Ditton Jct)
    [Manual firing - non stop shovelling, dampers full, blower 7%]
    manxman - Max 104.jpg
    Just like James? said, running a cut-off of ~25 when I would have been running ~15, easy to reduce pressure to stop the safeties, volume reduced (but happy for it to be increased to realistic levels once firing sorted), smoke looks even better.

It looks like the Manxman was hauled by 7P Patriots (29500lbf) rather than 6P Jubilees (~26500lbf). I'm rather surprised the Duchesses didn't haul it.

Is it me or are the loco graphics even sharper ? (I've returned to SoS for this after a good spell on BML)

Good job, thank you all involved.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  31. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone is interested:

YES, it is possible now. :)

32. OldVern

Excellent news. Just grabbing the update off Steam now and I'll be catching up with all the freight runs that previously couldn't be done.

33. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

34. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Feedback sounds very promising so far, can’t wait to take the Jubilee for a ride later!
    I am already looking forward to having a drunk fireman who completely refuses to shovel any coal, causing me to come to a halt on the Lime Street -> Edge Hill incline :D ;)

35. DTG Matt

as posted in the other thraed - if you're on manual firing, please try automatic.

Matt.

36. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

08:18 Express Freight: Northampton - Edge Hill

This is a service which I could never complete due to AI spads, and now Ive just ticked it off as complete.

What can I say about the update? Well, wow what a revelation!! Ive probably been one of the biggest critiques of SoS, and whilst I am certainly not an expert on if this updated physics is prototypical or not, but what I can say is that this is the best fun I've had on this route since release.

Matt & the team - you possibly dont hear this enough, but thank you for all your hard work in bringing this patch to us.

Oh and I've pre-ordered Peak Forrest, if its as much fun as Ive just had on SoS it'll be worth every penny.

• Like Like x 6
  37. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Same here. I’ve just about had time for another run and everything feels much improved. Seems steam traction is heading in a positive direction after all.

• Like Like x 1
  38. mattwild55

Another minor bug: the 18:25 8F departure from Edge Hill yard doesn't set the correct (or indeed any) lamp upon starting the service directly from the menu. Haven't checked on foot yet.

39. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

I thought I had automatic turned on in the settings, but it turned out to be on assisted. Resetting to automatic helped. Thanks Matt. :love:

40. owenroser19

I’ve noticed that on some other 8f services as well. Can’t remember exactly which ones though.

41. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Just echoing the calls above for the sectional running times to be corrected. After so much work to improve the physics it’s a shame to have unrealistic and unachieveable scheduled running times (I’m referring to the expresses - I’ve never tried the locals as there’s no realistic loco for them).

I’d be happy to be corrected, but for all the discussion of them on this forum and elsewhere, I don’t think anyone from DTG has ever acknowledged the problem exists. It would be great to know at least that it’s on a list somewhere to put right, even if there are no promises as to timescales.

Also I am another person who would buy the West Cornwall steam add-on if it was given a realistic load (at least 8 coaches).

• Like Like x 3
  42. davod2021

davod2021 Active Member

update hasn't worked on xbox one s still have loud safey systems for the west cornwall jubliee and sos jubliee DTG Matt

update could be more quiet still loud but getting better

43. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

You mean that system warning thing rivets added?

44. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

First attempt on 'The Manxman' and I got it to 110mph with ease, without dropping boiler pressure below 220 psi.

The screenshot is not far before Acton Bridge (and yes I did manage to get it down to the right speed by Weaver Jct - just!) but I had it up to 105mph when 4 miles before Action Bridge, but left it wide open just to see how fast it would go.

I don't know a huge amount about the performance of the Jubilees, but I know enough to know they're nowhere near capable of this sort of performance with such a load. Before the update I could get it to about 102mph in the same conditions, but now it seems you can do almost whatever you want with the regulator and cut-off (within sensible limits, obviously) and the boiler pressure won't drop significantly.

I can't help but feel that the Jubilee is being made into a monster of a locomotive to try to get it to achieve the unrealistic timetable, rather than correcting the timetable to reflect the realistic performance of the loco.

upload_2023-5-4_20-38-46.png

• Like Like x 2
  45. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Well-Known Member

Really reliable rescue fails, with scenario failed, just after you hook up to the failed train, no derail or spads

46. OldVern

Well that really is too fast for a Jubilee. IIRC the fastest speed for a LMS loco was 114 MPH set by Coronation Class 6220 Coronation in 1937. Highly unlikely a Jubilee would get anywhere near that and if it did, probably suffer severe mechanical damage in the process.
    So it does look as if the Jub needs another pass or three through Simugraph to tame the performance.

• Like Like x 3
  47. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Finally been able to complete the early hour edge hill sheds to edge hill yards with out the wagons launching you into orbit upon coupling up to them, also the physics are good not getting wheel slip in the 8F at speed anymore! So far so good, look forward to the other upcoming patches!

48. davod2021

davod2021 Active Member

no

49. DTG Matt

Just to clarify the performance of the loco is not being adjusted with any respect to the timetable at all, its just being enhanced as more factors of simulation are taken into account. It could probably use some more time tuning with new parameters as well :) We aren't done with tuning and enhancing steam yet.

Fixing the timings on the timetable by and large means a new timetable has to be made from scratch - otherwise you're hand editing hundreds of nodes... easier to start again. Not saying never, but I am saying not planned.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Hello guys. Just asking (no strictly relevant to today's update).
    By any means, I'm not a steam engines expert. But when you already gain some speeds, let's say 75 mph, and the track is flat with a little to no gradient change at all, is it correct to coast the steam engines by open the regulator as little as 5% and set the cutoff to "D" (Drift) position to prevent a vacuum to build up inside the cylinders? Is it well simulated in TSW at the moment? Thanks in advance.