Upcoming Release Peak Forest Railway - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Benjamin, Apr 25, 2023.

1. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

This route in a more modern setting with a 60 + appropriate wagons to pull them stone trains & I would be in! Top marks to DTG for making those old ICI vac wagons! I used to see them every day rolling in & out of Oakleigh sidings pulled by 2x 37's.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I am sure there will be an add on at some stage as it was commented on in the live stream that it was a possibility as the track had been laid. So maybe sometime later this year or next?

3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it’s because they made a model for WSR.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Lots of people insist on talking about extensions to and " networks " built on existing routes.

They are building " castles in the air ".

DTG's current business plan for TSW does not include extensions or networks and DTG personnel have said nothing to encourage that kind of thinking. In fact they have said just the opposite, if for no other reason than experience has shown that they don't make money, even in TSC.

And before anyone responds that SEHS 2 is an extension, it isn't.

They're not on any Roadmap and they're not happening.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The middle part of the route (the most beautiful part) doesn't exist in a more modern setting and would consist of a branch from the MML, a heritage line, a cycle path and network of freight only lines. It is nice that the ICIs are included, though a shame about no appropriate diesels.

• Like Like x 3
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Ah I didn`t realise, I thought it was the route the modern day Tunstead - Northwich working used, thanks for the info :)

7. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

That's alright mate, glad I managed to help!

• Like Like x 1
  8. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Another week to wait for its release, getting more excited as every day passes like a little kid. It’s Steam and a UK route which is what’s wanted.

9. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I do hope that its quieter than that. Would've been nice to hear more of the locomotive sounds especially for a walk around!

Was that tender first running I spied? That would be a nice addition! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. its way to loud they need to turn this down huge if they dont i hope someone in the community can add a mod to fix it on the community site

12. Schuppenheizer

Schuppenheizer Member

I was really looking forward to the route, but after the 4F video I'm holding back for now. Unfortunately, the steam locomotive physics are still far worse than in TSC. safty valves...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

It looks very odd. The lighting is too bright and the trains look too clean, would expect a lot more grime on them in 1963, when they were being replaced by diesel locomotives.

I don't have high hopes for the preview stream.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

15. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I hope the safety valve fix addresses the looping nature of the sound. Perhaps it's just me but instead of a steady hiss, I hear a repeating phrase. For the musically minded it goes up a full tone, then down a full tone, up a 4th and down a perfect 5th. Over and over and over again. Drives me nuts. Apologies to any musicians if I've got it wrong.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  16. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

I like that Steam has been included in TSW - I don't particularly have an interest in Steam myself but I purchased SoS upon release because I was curious to learn more about Steam locomotives and how the experience would be driving them in Train Sim World. For me personally, I don't see enough progress in the backend of how Steam functions to feel I can support the Peak Forest route. Forgive my ignorance if this is the expected behavior but in today's walkthrough preview of the 4F there is not a single frame where the safety valves are not going off?

I kind of wish Spirit of Steam was polished to the best it could be and maybe add a loco DLC or two to spice it up before we started getting entirely new Steam routes. Regardless, I hope Peak Forest sells well and Steam continues to be developed and improved. Maybe then I will come back to this one in future.

• Like Like x 4
  17. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

I was just going to mention about the safety valve going off its frustrating when you're trying to drive and all you hear is that going off you would of thought it would of been sorted by now

18. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Just gotta mention that the scenery looks surprisingly gorgeous in the video! Seems like they have some new rocks and a variety of grass/weed textures. Good to see they’re finally working on making the scenery better as it has mostly looked the same since TSW first launched (No, I’m not kidding. Played West Somerset Railway and East Coastway yesterday, and scenery-wise they’re both better than many of the routes we’ve gotten in the past 12 months).

• Like Like x 2
  19. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I hope we see more steam locomotives issued soon. For me a Prairie Tank and a Pannier Tank would be an ideal start together with a No 8 shunter. Flying Scotsman would be a classic addition as well.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Still got the loud safety valves

• Like Like x 1
  21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Wow, that is loud. Just hope this was shot before the safety valves were muted.

What's with the cotton wool puffs out the chimney, looks like Ivor The Bl..dy Engine?

And yes there is still something not quite right with the colours and lighting, looks like the Med or Tenerife not Derbyshire and everything is just too clean. It actually reminds me of Trainz in appearance, more so than any other TSW route.

• Like Like x 2
  22. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I have to say seeing this steam locomotive do banking really woke my interest - looks kind of crude and industrial from the screenshots which I like. But as you can see, I know absolutely nothing about steam at all so I think it's safe for me to wait until some steam experts/pros/lovers give the community a review before jumping right in. It makes no sense (to me) to learn everything (steam) from scratch when the mechanics (ingame) are not quite there where they should be and are about the be changed anyway (later probably)...

But yeah, getting more and more interested in steam in general

23. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

If one's on the fence when it comes to giving steam a try...Then the WEST CORNWALL Steam Rail Tour is worth considering.You get a improved jubilee steam loco for a very reasonable price.That assuming you have the west cornwall route.

24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Have a question about the missing shuttle services people have been mentioning: Will there be no passenger services on that stretch of the line at all now? Which would be kinda sad.

• Like Like x 1
  25. OldVern

Hopefully we will find out tomorrow. I believe there were a couple of through trains to London at one point, though these don't appear in the 1963 Table 187 or 182 on Timetable World - just the Miller's Dale shuttles. It's going to be a bit stupid if these services aren't represented as, going by the Don Coffey YT cab ride of this section in current day it's a very spectacular 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  26. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Currently watching the preview stream, route looks great so far! Absolutely love the scenery and atmosphere. Stations also feel much more alive than on Liverpool-Crewe.

• Like Like x 2
  27. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

I agree very impressed with the route

• Like Like x 3
  28. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I should say I'm pretty impressed by the route. Perhaps getting it on the next sale whenever it is.

29. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m blown away by the detail of the route.

I thought we we were supposed to see the whole route though. They missed out the particularly pretty part between Matlock Bath and Matlock. On the first service run they drove to Matlock Bath then they shut down that service and started again at Matlock. I asked three times in the chat but, as usual, they ignore any questions that don’t fit the script.

I wonder what is wrong with this part of the route that they do’t want to show it or talk about it. I thought initially that they had missed out the cable cars to Heights of Abraham and wanted to avoid questions, but then remembered that it is set in 1963 and they weren’t there then.

So come on DTG, what is wrong with this section and why didn’t you show it?

• Like Like x 2
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve had a go on SoS with the steam physics update and watched the stream for this new route. I must say I have somewhat lost any fears I had for buying this route now. The timetable is a bit light and I’m still not entirely convinced by the amount of effort the locos are providing at low speeds but I think it is all on the right track and the route certainly looks better than SoS does. It looks like an immense amount of fun in lovely well made scenery and hopefully it will be expanded in the future with either more trains or at least more services. As it stands it is already looking like a definite for buying and possibly even next week when it releases if there are no horror stories from those who buy it immediately.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I suspect nothing is wrong, but they simply ended the route at the wrong Matlock.

32. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Must admit I nearly hit the refund button as Matt struggled to get the 4F going on the banker service, but as the stream went on it along with the fun Ive had on SoS this evening it strengthened my decision to pre-order.

Still think it needs a dirty diesel or railcar adding (or better still both), but I'm sure with whats been provided on release will provide hours of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  33. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think the route looks stunning I have to say. And there is so much detail in it as well. The team have clearly put a lot of love into it.

The loco's are a little too clean, certainly by 1963 steam engines were looking run down but that doesn't bother me too much. I was disappointed there are no pick up type freights in service mode for the 4F, pottering about in Bakewell station yard picking up a van and a open wagon whilst a Jubilee thunders through would be a very immersive moment. I love the idea of the banking services.

It does seem to have a similar problem to SOS in that there are services missing from the timetable, I was expecting the 4F to appear on some local services.

I won't however be purchasing it just yet as I want to see what they do with it in the next few month or if anything is announced in the coming month or so. Hopefully local services will be represented, even with the 4F and some mark 1's, although Stanier period 3 stock would be more realistic and we will get a DMU of some description for the Millers Dale shuttle.

I was pleased that reference was made to possibly adding local services and even the DMU was mentioned. Obviously with the Caveat that nothing is planned etc etc, but they were saying that about the Trenton timetable a couple of months ago!

I also hope that maybe the 4F can feature on SOS maybe on the local services on there if nothing else is built for them, also obviously it would be ideal for more freight action on SOS with all the yards we have on it.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Is there a technical reason why we never get local freight services picking up and dropping off wagons along the route? For me its a notable omission across TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  35. theorganist

I wondered that, maybe it is hard to author them as part of a timetable as certainly with this and SOS they were still very much part of railway life.

36. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

There are a few isolated cases of that sort of thing happening in timetables, like the NTP service that drops two coaches off at Huddersfield that an 08 then shunts, but they're not common.

• Like Like x 1
  37. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

After watching the stream tonight. I thought this route looked truly fabulous and the detail was awesome. Well done DTG for designing an excellent route. I will definitely be buying it for my xbox on May 9th but will wait for a sale before I add it to my steam library.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

5 years of promising steam, and now guessing 5 more years of getting it right. A shame that, after watching the stream, this route has interesting scenery to show off, but as usual sacrifices the timetable and locos that goes along with it whether if it's authentic or not. (And funny enough that this route was the last attempt to see if I want to get TSW3 with some of the locos and routes so far. But alas, this ain't happening at all now.)

Will have to see later on for what the future of Peak Forest is gonna be like now, let alone SoS after the update.

• Like Like x 2
  39. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Would also mean we get to use more of those fantastic little goods yards that are part of every station! Thats the big thing on steam I do really want to see because as you say it was a massive key part of the railways back then.

I do have to say I'm looking forward to the 2 hour 8f service just purely because its the closest we'll probably get to running those services for now!

• Like Like x 3
  40. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Why is the lighting nuclear on this route again? So bright

• Like Like x 8
  41. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

That's what caught my eye as well. It's probably meant to create ambience, but it's been taken too far as the route looks way too bright. On Spirit of Steam it's sometimes hard to even see what's ahead of you. I hope that DTG could someday tone it down a bit (or just add brightness slider onto settings).

• Like Like x 2
  42. OldVern

Not watched the stream or the YT highlights but what if anything was said about the chances of a green Class 45 in there at some stage? Also what services are we getting on the Buxton section? I mean, I’m buying it anyway just curious if the concerns were acknowledged.

43. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing on the first count, express passenger and freight only on the second.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. OldVern

Thanks Matt. Hopefully it will come.

45. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

The usual "not in the roadmap".
    I suspect there will be an ehancement pack added later to fill in the gaps with diesel later.

46. OldVern

Thanks. I’m still pumped for the route and will be eagerly waiting tea time to come and go on Tuesday so I can get upstairs on the main PC and get stuck in!

• Like Like x 1
  47. stormy#4839

stormy#4839 Member

Visually, route looks really charming. I just love that entire region of the UK tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  48. orb

orb Well-Known Member

The scenery looks great, definitely more interesting than in Spirit of Steam, maybe with exception of the amount of trackside clutter. I'll still need to see more videos and what mods will appear for it. Anyway, I'll be getting it sometime next year.

• Like Like x 1
  49. theorganist

Matt didn't mention anything about a Peak that I heard and I watched pretty much most of the stream. He did reference the Millers Dale shuttle and the fact it would have been run by a class 104 but also referenced a class 101. But with the usual "there are no plans". Hopefully that means that at some point even a green 101 at least is in the pipeline as he didn't ignore it. It would be great to see a Peak too, for me personally the missing DMU services are more of a priority, as they are missing. The passenger timetable did look very light in general but again they were making noises to suggest that will be addressed. They were talking about putting the 4F on passenger duties which would be good. It does sound like they have plans for this route.

I am on the fence at the moment, as I do like the look of the route very much and driving the Jubilee on SOS after the stream was a very enjoyable experience. However I don't want to purchase it and find that in six months time nothing has happened, as has happened with SOS, well that has been about a year. I will sit on my hands for a while.

Likewise if SOS doesn't now get a revised timetable and some more services it will be very dissapointing as it feels far to empty, ironically Peak Forest seems busier which I am sure shouldn't be the case!

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  50. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

I noticed the overly bright lighting as well, It just doesn't look like a typical Derbyshire sky. I've pre-ordered the game as the route is beautiful & the rock surfaces & scenery are much more detailed than before. The smoke from the smokestack looks to be more realistic too. I'd love to see a standard class 4 tank engine sometime on steam locomotive games though.