4th May - Update Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, May 4, 2023.

1. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, Matt. A bit more tuning of the Jubilee sounds good.

Understood about the timetable. I’m crossing my fingers that the lesson’s been learnt and that all future routes will have times input from real timetables, not AI generated times. The timetable mode is the thing which sets TSW apart from other simulators, but it’s only good if the timetable’s realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I would hope that this is corrected before the manual firing update. Steam locomotives practically demand an option F5 HUD.

3. fietsbel12

fietsbel12 Member

Nice I like the loco add on bundle for CJP I love that the correct USA type trailers are in the game now. Does anyone know at what time you can run the new trailers? And are the number lights on the SD70ACE fixed now ?

4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

we already have a comprehensive design for a full firing hud - have had one since the start, its just only a bit of it implemented right now :)

• Like Like x 6
  5. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

There are valves called snifting valves which open to atmosphere when you shut off steam. This is to allow the locomotive to coast freely, allow cool air to pass through the superheater elements and prevent a vacuum developing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

So there is no need to set the cutoff lever to Drift position during coasting?

7. Tonto62

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Suryaaji#2369

The Drifting cutoff position on the Jubilees and the 8Fs is indicated at around 55-60% (both forward and backward) i believe.
    I read somewhere that putting the cutoff lever to 0 or midgear during coasting is not recomended by most railroads. But again, my reading sources are limited.

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Just had a very enjoyable run out of Lime Street, the physics seemed much better, I actually managed to get more than 20 miles an hour out her climbing towards Edge Hill! Reminded me, as I haven't used steam in TSW for a long time, how good an experience it can be. It felt alive, like you were actually on a real footplate, I have been a couple of times. It also reminded me what good route Liverpool to Crewe is. I hope we do see an expansion of steam both on the routes we have but more UK steam and also worldwide steam.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Tonto62

I've never noticed that drift position to be honest. I'll have a look when the update finishes downloading. Thanks.

11. Suryaaji#2369

Go check it out, it's indicated by a simple "D" marking on the cutoff lever indicator, situated in between 50-60%.

• Like Like x 1
  12. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Good to hear.

13. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

"Time for Scouse" is still broken!!! One sweet day I'll actually get to finish that scenario!!!

Still getting hit with a "scenario failure" out of knowhere on the descent into lime Street... On PS5, auto fireman.

14. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Hi DTG Matt
    Have spotted a strange little bug on Series S. The head out camera view seems to be broken and colliding with something when clicking the right stick on controller? Seems to either put you out above the locomotive or out beside it. When you cycle through the inside views it does put you in the right place but it is a bit of a faff :)

Apart from that loved my little test run in the Jubilee the safetys being low volume are a world of difference and the physics do feel much nicer!

Edit - Have also submitted the video and a big report ticket

Video for reference:

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  15. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Currently testing the patch with a (scenario designer) Jubilee run on West Somerset, and I’ve got to say that I’m incredibly impressed! :D
    • I cannot understate how much better and less buggy the entire steam driving experience feels now!
    • The great-looking steam smoke from TSW2 is back, looks so much better than the untextured white steam we’ve had since TSW3’s release.
    • The loco interior looks amazing now, even on old gen consoles where it was previously a low-res mess.
    • The Jubilee safety valve has such a nice volume now. You definitely still hear it clearly, but it isn’t obnoxious anymore.
    Also:
    • Wow, steam really feels amazing on West Somerset! These locos feel so much more comfortable to drive on there than the diesels, and they look amazing in the beautiful landscape. We absolutely need a West Somerset steam special add-on… will perhaps make a detailed suggestion soon.
    • I was pleasantly surprised by the scenario planner. I don’t use it often, but it worked really well with the Jubilee on WSR. I was up and running quickly! Only thing that was missing were more detailed consist descriptions for the Jubilee. There were two consists with 5 loaded MK1 wagons, it doesn’t tell you the difference. Thankfully, I managed to pick the one that gave me a nice mix between different wagon liveries.
    Bugs/Issues (PS4):
    • Jubilee Head Out camera seems to collide with something and move away from the train slightly (as explained by another user).
    • Medal count in the profile section of the main menu is still way too low.
    • The “New” banners on all the routes are still not disappearing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I noticed this as well on PS4. Basically the only steam bug I noticed on my entire West Somerset run (except the missing “automatic” taillights on the back of the last wagon, but I believe this is already a known issue).

• Like Like x 2
  17. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

I'm frequently getting -00.01 shown on the brake gauge after releasing brakes. Never had this before. Any ideas folks?

18. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

19. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

As someone who is basically done with West Somerset Railway, what missing services from Timetable mode should I be looking for? What are the run numbers?

20. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

If you’re responding to my comment from above, there are no steam timetable services on West Somerset unfortunately. I used the scenario planner and created the service myself, a simple end-to-end run from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead stopping at every station except the halt with the short platform (because that thing is way too small for my looong steam train).
    I actually asked Matt about steam on WSR and he replied in the Peak Forest preview stream. No official news but he would really like to get a whole steam timetable done for it.

21. 8F Issue i went up to all the cords to release vaccum brakes i went to take off and i get wheel spin even on 20 to 30% and then go up to see what happened and the vaccum brakes were back on even know i released them all its a clear bug and cant play fright services because of this issue on PC Steam

22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I too would love to see a steam pack for WSR. Maybe something like a Pannier or Prairie tank, or perhaps a Hall, all of which would have reuse potential elsewhere.

Anyhow I finished my 8F run without any issues. Is it me or has the lighting on the route had an overhaul too? It seems to have lost that slight yellow/mustard tint that was very apparent previously. Anyhow looking forward to getting back in later and giving the Jubilee a thrashing.

Thanks again to Matt and the team for finally sorting out (most of) the issues and have to say Tuesday and Peak Forest can’t come quick enough.

23. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

In Scenario Planner I had a Jubilee and
    In Scenario Planner I had a Jubilee steam engine and five coaches going up the Lickey Incline. Before, I managed to get it up at 2 mph. After the update, it went up the hill at 15 mph!!!!! This says everything! I'm going to have real fun. I've been really waiting for this! Next try, Liverpool Lime Street.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Tonto62

Just had a quick blast on the 8F and it was a much better experience. Safety valve noise is there but not overpowering like it used to be. Managed to get out of Crewe without the random spad issue spoiling the fun and it looks like the patch has brought back all the layers on other routes which disappeared after the add ons manager was released. Many thanks to the team. I now have something to do while that coronation is happening.

25. OldVern

My only thoughts on the 8F is that it still seems a tad overpowered. Maybe the Northampton to Edge Hill consist is fairly lightweight but it seemed very easy to get up to ~50 MPH and stay there. Otherwise, all good.

• Like Like x 1
  26. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What reverser setting are you using and 20% throttle is possibly to high.

Also are you leaving the small ejector open. If both ejectors are closed then the brakes will reapply. I don't think this a bug and is working as intended.

27. OldVern

You really do need to advance the regulator gradually on the 8F. Even 10% seems enough to induce wheelslip at > 55% cutoff particularly in the rain. Definitely need to apply sand too! Doubt this behaviour is entirely prototypical but it can be worked around. And as the Rev says, make sure the brakes aren't leaking back on, with a fitted train (and bear in mind although the vacuum gauge on the HUD might show 21" it takes a few moments to propagate through the train).

• Like Like x 1
  28. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

My only complaint with the 8f on SOS is that irl they would have only been running at 40/45mph. The AI seems to do 60mph and the timetable doesn’t allow for this slower speed.

• Like Like x 3
  29. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Yeeeah and thats depending on consists the more Mineral/unfitted wagons its more like 30mph. Or even 25mph with a fully unfitted train :)

30. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I have the same impression. Tried the 8F train at 8 o’clock and it got up to 60 in no time, wanted to go even faster, too. Steam is not my forté, so I can’t judge it too well, but it did seem a tad too powerful.

31. OldVern

I will have to try the BMG version again in TSC to compare, but certainly my recollection taking an 8 coach passenger consist over The Port Road, it was much less lively. Put it this way, if you stuck to the true speeds these freights actually ran at, would require virtually no effort from the loco.

• Like Like x 3
  32. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It would be useful when driving any freight on the sim if there was some kind of guidance regarding speed. I was driving German freight the other day and was not sure what the maximum speed was and whether the sim is set up to acknowledge this. I did trigger an overspeed though on PZB at one point. I could look it up but some kind of quick guide in the sim would be useful.

It would be good if AI could stick to realistic speed limits as seeing a mineral train racing past doesn't exactly aid immersion.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

And now it’s time to throw in a steam rail tour with a banker up The Lickey Incline!!!

34. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Remember that the regulator releases steam at the boiler's current pressure which builds inside the chest. 10% open doesn't equate to a constant limit of 10% power to the wheels. Even 1/3 open for a few seconds will build enough pressure to slip most locos from a standing start, tractive effort being inversely proportional to speed (i.e. the slower you are the more prone to slipping). This is why drivers will pump the regulator to get a loco started and minimise wheel slip.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  35. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I use that technique a lot, I also find starting with the drains open to help because it's softer on pressure to the wheels (since it's venting elsewhere as well) and you can manage the steam chest more easily until you're out of that low-end easy to slip speed.

It's like having "manually lapped throttle" - with the added complexity that each chuff spends it and between the chuff you're building it up, "whacky manually lapped throttle", new technical term for you all. :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

I wonder how do you plan to visualise it for HUDless drivers.

37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I don't imagine any 5P class loco could ever get 10 coaches up to 100! That was A3 territory

• Like Like x 1
  38. Suryaaji#2369

isn't the Jubilees classified as 5XP under LMS Power Classification and classified as 6P under BR Power Classification?

39. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on Steam Trains and until the latest patch, had given up on the route as it just seemed to break whenever I tried it. Just played through the tutorials again to remind myself how to drive them and it seems a lot better (quieter safety valves make a huge difference especially on headphones). I'll try some more over the weekend. The new steam route has gone from a definitely not, to a maybe.

40. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you want a Panier steam locomotive then might as well pair it with an autocoach Maroon Colour with Class 438 4TC for Metropolitan line running

41. OldVern

Sorry chap, but this really has nothing to do with my proposal... :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Update work for me smoothly on Xbox series X in some situations if you have the reverser set to forward 40% and apply the brakes you will start to slow down immediately

43. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

It doesn't appear so, at least not on the Epic Games version. BNSF SD70ACe number boards still remain dark.

The safety valve volume reduction is nice.

DW

• Like Like x 2
  44. Taylor Deay

Taylor Deay New Member

Superb work, DTG better add journeys for DB BR 155 in Ruhr Sieg Norg, BR Heavy Freight Pack (Class 08 & Class 40) in Northern Trans-Pennine, Class 33 & Class 52 in West Somerset Railway next in the future JD, would be a brilliant addition for TSW 3.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  45. on Cajon pass are the new trailers with the trucks in the timetable and if so what are the names for them?

• Like Like x 1
  46. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

SD70ACE still dynamics broken (rear dpu) and length counter a well... ;) comoon people... broken loco bundle into new route? Not good. ;) Ticket submitted some time ago.

47. Suryaaji#2369

Certainly hope the ACe receive the much waited & needed update in the near future. Even Matt himself said it was a last minute decision for the ES44C4 to have this new banking comm capabilities, so i assume this fix is relatively not that hard to implement.

48. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

Excellent patch on SoS, services are now possible to complete; and cutting that safety valve volume down is great. Next is to calm that fire-person down so that they are not constantly shoveling so that safety valve goes off every time you stop when shunting or at a station.

49. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Sad how the new trailers, depsite being loaded with containers, don't have randomised colors.

• Like Like x 1
  50. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

When you put the 8f On a hill start It just talked to Jack knife And the train does go back out of control and I doing anything wrong