PlayStation Class 101 Braking Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HappyJose, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Evening all

I need a bit of a dummies guide to braking when driving the 101 on NTP as I'm making a dogs dinner of driving it. Im finding it more challenging braking when driving the 101 than anything else I've driven on TSW so far.

What is your approach when slowing for stations/signals etc?
    Do you have to swing the brake handle round from fully released to applied at a certain % then back all the way round to fully released once you have slowed to your required speed?
    What exactly does the lap setting do?

Tips/guidance always appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

My basic understanding is learnt by trial and error while you are driving have it at lap, the midpoint between brakes applied or released

When applying brake, move it out of lap to apply brakes and look at the vac dial bottom right of the hud. When you have applied the amount of brake you want, set it back to lap and it holds the brake there. If you don’t lap it the brakes will eventually come on full. Same with release. If you want to release brake slowly, from lap you release a certain % and lap it again. The brake releases slowly where you lapped it until fully released.

Essentially, it’s the % SPEED the brakes are applying rather than how MUCH brake you are applying

Hard to explain and easy to show, there’s probably a guide on YouTube somewhere

You’re not alone though, it’s def the most challenging brake system so far in TSW imo

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Generally from 50 mph I start to brake around 700 yrds out. Aiming to be at around 25mph entering an average platform. I also use the cursor instead of the triggers. They react to slow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Braking on the real thing - which also works on the sim - is pretty much as TinTin_57 describes.

Move the handle from the Lap position to Apply (you don't need a very high %) and wait until you have the level of vacuum you want, as shown on the dial. If you're braking from speed on a falling gradient, you'll probably need 5-10 inches of vacuum to achieve decent deceleration. At lower speeds and on rising gradients then 10-15 inches of vacuum will be sufficient. When the needle reaches the level of vacuum you want, move the brake handle to the lap position (one thing that's useful to know, if you're using a keyboard, is that the '/' key takes you directly back to Lap).

From that point on, make small adjustments to the amount of vacuum by moving the brake handle to Apply or Release, to control the deceleration. Each time, you need to return the brake handle to Lap when you have the new level of vacuum you require. At the moment the train comes to a stand, you should try to have a reasonably light brake applied (perhaps 15 inches of vacuum) if you don't want to give your passengers a jolt.

The speed entering the platform depends hugely on the length of the platform. If you're coming into Dewsbury you can be doing 35mph (with the brake applied) entering the platform and stop comfortably in the right place. If you're coming into Slaithwaite, with it's very short platform, I wouldn't recommend more than 15mph.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Hi I could not have described it more accurate. I would like to use your text (crediting you for that of course) in the Route Guide for TVL I am creating and later as well for the NTP Route Guide. Is that OK for you? I do not want ot do this without your permission.

6. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

When I approach a train station where I should stop, I always drive with about 15 miles into the station. For me it is the easiest method.