Midland Mainline Update Progress

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jane-skyhook, May 5, 2023.

1. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Quick observation (I do a lot of those); I believe all (?) of the foliage assets were updated for TSW3 from TSW2 in terms of fidelity even on old routes, this is why some of the older stuff looks crisper in 3. I noticed this most running NTP some months back, and NTP still has the tile load hitch in 3 (PS5). One assumes that these shared assets would be used in all routes including the newest stuff

• Like Like x 2
  2. FredElliott

Because for every route, the assets have to be placed to cater for the lowest common denominator, which is 1. "Minimum" specs as published by DTG, and 2. PS4/Xbone. I don't know what the PC settings do, but if there isn't a specific "foliage density" slider, I suppose the settings will just be for AA, draw distance, LOD, texture size and all that technical guff, none of which exist on console of course

3. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Sneak peeks of next MML update, how sweet!

4. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Well yes, but that’s not the full story. Consoles are consoles and are a different build, so they don’t figure in this really. It goes without saying that the visuals on the PS5 should be better than they are on the PS4, not simply just smoother. I'm sure DTG just pick the setting that works best on a given console and lock it at that.

On the PC, however, there is indeed a ‘Foliage Quality’ slider which is effectively a density option. TVL looks ok here, but it still isn't up to modern standards even on Ultra. Why is that? Ultra should be as good as UE4 can be with all the bells and whistles enabled. You can see for yourself below. I've also turned on RivaTuner stats for Low and Ultra so you can see that, to all intents and purposes, there is very little difference between the two (note my GPU is barely ticking over, the percentage used is irrelevant as the clock-speed, power-draw and temperature are the important pointers. The memory isn’t even being taxed as it runs at close to 9900mhz when being pushed).

In an attempt to stay on topic then, my question therefore is why not chuck everything at the lineside foliage, because ultimately people can choose what suits their machine best?

Low
    Low FPS.jpg

Medium
    Medium.jpg

High
    High.jpg

Ultra
    Ultra FPS.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have said this is not how they dev routes. They dev ON pc FOR pc and then dial back on the other platforms.
    At one point the settings on console were permanently fixed at less than PC to avoid crashes etc, but that was done after the route was made
    Older console versions have lower textured assets and even lower max settings

• Like Like x 1
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

If tocs want their trains to be represented in a certain way, then dtg has no respect that. If dtg just did things without permission then dtg risks losing the license. It's also why we don't see certain decals and some units can't have livery designer support. I remember back in the boston providence stream that dtg said something about amtrak not wanting their trains to be extremely dirty. It's the tocs reputation too which is also why some tocs won't give their license if all people do is crash and derail in purpose and advertise it on social media.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JetWash

I wrote a long reply but it’s wildly off topic. I’ll DM you instead.

8. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Polyphony Digital have been criticised for years over their crash representations and vehicle damage (or lack of) in the Gran Turismo series. They explained many years ago that they are quite capable of making the cars crash, but the car manufacturers refused to let their vehicles become wrecked within the game. Maybe one or two were okay with it, but their issue is they can't have one model of car with full crash simulation and the rest bouncing off each other, because that would look silly. I think they managed to get permission from all manufacturers to show minimal damage to their precious cars, as we now get some scuffing on the bodywork, but full-on crashes are still a big no no in the latest game.

I'm sure Matt has said similar about at least some train manufacturers not wanting them represented in anything but pristine glory. But the good thing DTG have going for them is that all add-ons are like separate games so you can have one route with a beat-up train and another with only a shiny new looking train.

9. JetWash

I appreciate all of this but licensing or not, none of it excuses the texturing of the inside of the 158. That’s not pristine, it’s a block filled single colour texture.

• Like Like x 4
  10. FredElliott

Fair, but I was talking specifically asset placement rather than overall quality settings, as seen in JWs snaps above there's a foliage slider that simply isn't present on console, and (without knowing of course), it looks to me as if that slider is set at its lowest on console, even on PS5 (or maybe procedurally generated foliage simply isn't present, which would go back again to my comment about asset placement for the lowest common denominator)

11. JetWash

But what he’s saying is DTG don’t develop like that. They make the game on PC then dial it back for console. My point is that when they make it for PC, the are deliberately making Ultra nothing like Ultra. They don’t place assets for the lowest common denominator, the make Ultra then dial it back. Why are they not making Ultra actually Ultra?

• Like Like x 4
  12. March Hare

Yes, that one doesn't even look "textured".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive also tried the grass density setting. It can damage FPS, partially because it places grass and goes ott on flowers , but more crucially places these assets where it isnt wanted, ie the track.

• Like Like x 3
  14. JetWash

All I ever wanted was the grass draw that you see with the materialquality=0 tweak without all the other detrimental effects it brings with it. There HAS to be a way to do that, even if DTG do it through the editor. Why would you not make that Ultra? It makes no sense to me but there you go.

15. FredElliott

Slight correction here - there's only one build, but the consoles have console specific flags enabled so they get console specific features (think trophies, store integrations and the like). Matt said this at some point during the discussion about whether add-on manager was suitable for PC, where he mentioned it isn't feasible to have multiple builds. Quality defaults would be one of these flags I suppose. Agree that the foliage slider should actually add more than it does on PC though, that last snap is still pretty barren

Edit to clarify this: By one build, I mean that there is one unified code base that is then compiled with options for each platform. Routes themselves will be in the same manner, and indeed there should be zero difference in the route packages themselves since trackage, assets (foliage excluded) and despatcher stuff should be identical across all platforms, with the only difference being layer exclusion in gen8. My belief is that there is a base set of foliage placed in the route itself for gen8 console, with the rest of the foliage for PCs being dynamically generated based on the foliage slider, with "rules" where said foliage can and can't be placed, though it appears this isn't optimal as the other poster said grass ends up on the track in places

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. JetWash

If that’s true then that goes some way to explaining why the PC version looks so below par, and why we’re here talking about performance to this extent. Ho hum.

Caveat, this game should absolutely be on consoles. However, I’ve always suspected that the fact that it is has been detrimental to the PC version despite DTG saying otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FredElliott

Agree to an extent, my experience is that in routes that were ported from TSW2, they look far better on the PS5 version than the PS4 version. Haven't really compared foliage though. Back to the point, I agree that gen8 is possibly a limiting factor in some things, as they obviously have to make sure that version runs as well as it can since they still sell it. Gen9 should be on par with a(roughly) top line PC as of end of 2020 spec wise

18. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, I agree.
    Unfortunately, times have changed. PC gaming is simply not in the same place, or as important, as it once was. (Barring a few examples).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Certainly a very interesting discussion considering foliage density and quality here! For example, as a PS4 player, I was personally not aware that the amount of foliage could be individually decreased/increased on PC. Certainly looking forward to trying out the PS5 version of the game as I’m assuming it will have a higher foliage quality preset (and thus also more foliage in general across all routes).

Edit: Just a quick suggestion, but it might make sense to pin this thread instead of the feedback one since we’re now firmly past the stage of providing fundamental feedback and instead eagerly following and discussing the progress on the upcoming update for the add-on!

• Like Like x 2
  20. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I happen to agree with you regarding the lack of ‘worn cab’. My initial impression of both of the cabs was ‘oh it is very clean’

Hopefully once all the major things have been fixed a bit of ‘TLC’ to the cab textures can be done to make it feel more ‘lived in’ etc

• Like Like x 5
  21. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Slightly OT but the only UK trains in-game that really have much noticeable weathering are the WMR 323, BR Blue stock, RR 150, SE 465, SE 465, SEB & SEW 375, ScR 385 and ScR 314.

What do they all have in common?
    Why, they're all state owned!

Now, considering that:
    A. The DfT own the East Midlands Trains brand, and:
    B. EMT is a dead franchise, with a reputation that can no longer be impacted.

I don't see why it would be licensing that has forced Skyhook into a lack of weathering, as suggested above...?

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. kilroy126

kilroy126 Member

Jane,
    Agree with the others here that it is refreshing to have a developer actually answer questions and be transparent. Thanks for that.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in these threads but will the patch address the bugs in the release. The new scenery looks great and will be a nice improvement but there are issues with the actual gameplay.

for example Scenario Set Pieces cannot be completed. When you go to shut down the first train, the controls lock up and you can’t remove the master key. The hold X and slide using the left joystick doesn’t work for any of the controls.
    PS5 TSW3 for information.

Thanks. Looking forward to the improvements

23. JetWash

Just like they own Northern too! Curious.

• Like Like x 1
  24. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

It is the signal of the track side of the great western photograph of the reference article, but it is in some in the Midlands, but does not work.
    There is no numbered wire indication at a red light at the time of the Derby third approach

25. jane-skyhook

jane-skyhook Well-Known Member

heya,

Yes, there are many many bug fixes. We have people working on bug fixing, whilst others work on new content. Both groups are working in parallel. I have passed your bug report to the team for when they return from the holiday on Tuesday.

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. March Hare

On the forum generally, every time I go to edit a post because of a typo or quickly adding clarification, it accuses me of spamming and refuses to save...

• Like Like x 2
  27. JetWash

Me too. It’s annoying.

28. FredElliott

Change was made to combat the linkbots from a few months back. Things that would trigger it based on what people have said in other threads:

- Multiple hyperlinks
    - Rapid consecutive posts
    - Rapid and/or multiple edits
    - Posting hyperbolic comments with no substance no wait, ignore that one

not aimed at jw, general commentary

• Like Like x 7
  29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, a pair of troublemakers like youse guys are obviously on the watch list. :D:D:D:D

No seriously, I had a rash of these episodes a couple of weeks ago and I complained mildly.

JD said he thought it was very strange and I wasn't being singled out.

I posted an example.
    Then it stopped and hasn't happened since.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Yes - thankfully Skyhook does not fall into that category !!!

31. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Jane
    Please revise this signal relations.
    All which the third approach of the Derby station and type signal of 1 subordinate light type are the line whole, and was installed is non-lighting

32. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello,
    Firstly, I am so glad that Skyhook Games have taken over Train Sim World. I am so happy to see the welcomed changes you are making to the Game and we finally have a Studio that is listening to its fans.

I would also like to make the suggestion to bring the Class 222 to the Midland Mainline route and to also extend the route.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  33. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

This isn't the topic for suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

They haven’t.

MML is just a third party DLC made by Skyhook, thus the content is (mostly) their responsibility.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello,
    Yes, I am aware that Skyhook Games are a third party Studio, However, can you not see the difference in their work and the care for their fans??

They have already created a lot more things for the exisiting routes. For example, Landmarks, cabin changes, AI improvement. Skyhook Games are already showing their love for the Game and for the fans of the Game.

Thank you for your comment

36. JetWash

All we know about Skyhook at the moment is they released probably one of the worst received DLCs ever for TSW.

We hope they are going to rectify that, but until they actually do it’s just words. Try not to get carried away.

• Like Like x 6
  37. trainsimplayer

Fixed that for you :)

• Like Like x 2
  38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This doesn't indicate if they've "taken over" or not, only that they've made some stuff for that game.
    That they're addressing the issues now (ie after the horse has bolted) is less an indication of them showing love for the game, and more about them feeling a need to clean up that which should have been clean to begin with
    And we haven't seen the results of that labour to know if it's any good as yet so I'll hold my opinion until I get it in my posession

Either way, only one person from the company has made any attempt at communication on any scale, so maybe that's on that person rather than on the company as a whole

• Like Like x 1
  39. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I was addressing your statement which was “glad to see Skyhook has taken over TSW” but never mind I suppose.

I would caveat the rest with saying Skyhook still need to get their updates out the door (not rushing anyone here, just stating the fact) and we don’t know what state the update will arrive in.

All of their fixes pertain to only this route, and whilst I agree it is a very good example of community focused development, I don’t see this happening on all TSW content.

This new found love is only coming after they’ve released the product too, whilst I am indeed excited for it, it certainly doesn’t escape the fact that the DLC should not of launched when it did.

There is also the small (not so small) issue of their past content too, which Skyhook told us they were working on, but never released anything other than patches that further degraded the content.

• Like Like x 5
  40. trainsimplayer

So have Dovetail.

41. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

No they don't, there is always excuses being thrown out, especially with the latest Peak Forest DLC. I think your forum observations are certainly lacking.

42. JetWash

Well no, a few pictures granted, but also an awful lot of words. I prefer to wait until it’s actually been released and see what state the route is in at that point rather than fling superlatives around before anything has actually happened.

As it stands the route is pap, dwarfed by Peak Forest. If Skyhook turn it around then more power to them but that remains an ‘if’ for now. Either way, nothing excuses the route being released in the state in which it currently sits.

• Like Like x 4
  43. trainsimplayer

If a few bad DLCs means they suddenly don't give - pardon my french - a sh*t, then I guess not a single developer on the planet cares.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely this and while no one wants them to rush things and/or forgo thorough testing, the old cliche about proofs and puddings does hold true.

• Like Like x 6
  45. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

They can't be more liars than DTD, though

46. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They would hardly be showing screenshots of improvements and providing details of how many services there are in the new timetable if they weren't planning on releasing these improvements.

That would be a piece of PR so mind bogglingly ridiculous it would make Gerald Ratner look like Saatchi and Saatchi!

As for DTG not caring, I think that is wrong, you only have to see the passion from Matt and JD and Alex etc to see that they care. Circumstances seem to occur though with releases which maybe makes it look like care and attention isn't what it should be.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  47. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello JetWash,
    For your information it isn't just words. Do your research. Jane from Skyhook Games has already revealed the improvements they are making. Files have been shared on the work they are carrying out. Don't just assume you know everything because clearly you haven't done your research

I do not want to argue about this, but before commenting make sure you have done your research before going after Skyhook.

Dovetail is the Studio to blame for releasing so many DLCs that have many glitches and lack of authenticity of the Routes, Trains, Landmarks and Stations. The files in which Jane from Skyhook Games has shared is evidence that Skyhook are clearing up the mess that DTGs have created.

Thank you for your comment

48. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Let’s not get bogged down by who showed what. As Sam used to say, improvements are useless unless they’re in the players’ hands. It all seems well and good what is being shown here, but as others have said, let’s wait for the update before we count our chickens.

• Like Like x 5
  49. JetWash

Er, no, but thanks all the same.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  50. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s not DTG’s route, they did not make the mess that Skyhook are cleaning up.

• Like Like x 5