Peak Forest Railway: Ambergate – Chinley & Buxton Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dtg_jan, May 9, 2023.

1. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Good morning gang!

With Peak Forest Railway: Ambergate – Chinley & Buxton releasing today I'd like to provide a dedicated feedback thread where you can talk about your experience, just to keep the forums nice and tidy :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

Just watching the stream from British Ace, and it's gone from a 'not interested' to a 'buy', it looks pretty well done to me....

• Like Like x 4
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

+1 on the above reply.

I'm not big on steam but having watch the preview stream and Dad Rail's video on the route, my interest has been raised. The scenery, both lineside and distant, seems really well made, and the stations are lovely.

Might pick this one up at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  4. adamski#9148

adamski#9148 New Member

For some reason I am unable to buy this in the x box store and it doesn't show in the dovetail store. Any reasons ?
    Edit. Ignore the above. Bought and downloading eventually.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

From jasonpfc upload_2023-5-9_12-28-11.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Several xbox players reportng the same, the team are awake.

Jason

• Like Like x 1
  7. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

I don't have the route, but I'm literally just this moment catching up on the preview stream from the other day and maybe it's me going mad, but I've just got to the moment where there's a "Stop at Location" and also a red signal. Jamie says don't forget to stop at the signal, not the"Stop at Location " marker, to which Matt jokes about signals being optional. On the distance displays, the red signal should come well before the stop marker, but in reality the stop marker comes before the red signal anyway – and this despite the fact the distance counter that's actually on the marker says that Matt is still over 200 yards away from it even when the loco is right on top of it.

I welcome the suggestion that I was hallucinating this, but equally welcome people telling me I'm correct and "Oops, let's fix that mistake".

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. dtg_jan

Can anyone else having these problems confirm if this is now fixed or not?

9. deeuu#6908

Someone on The BA stream said they couldn't a few minutes ago.

10. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Xbox store has just let me purchase and is now dowloading.

11. adamski#9148

adamski#9148 New Member

Downloaded. Just having first look. Hopefully all ok.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dtg_jan

Perfect, thank you for the feedback!
    We have QA looking into it, but please let me know if this still happens to you.

13. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

This is because one of the distances is measured from the player (who is at the BACK of the train) and the other is from the FRONT - so the distances are, confusingly, all correct :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

I'm downloading it now looks a great route

15. March Hare

Ah, yes. If you'd kept the POV at the player end (and if I weren't working at the same time on another laptop), I'd probably have realised haha

16. adamski#9148

adamski#9148 New Member

Looks amazing. So far am still smiling :))

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Just been watching Trainsimulatordriver and the route looks very nice. I didn’t think I would be buying this one. But I’m definitely going to reconsider (as soon as the Gamepass discount shows up). I really enjoy scenarios and these look really fun.

18. MarkCovz4761

I'm playing peak forest doing the peak shunting scenario when I loaded the wagons up with stuff it wasn't coming out of the loader just said 100% loaded up but the stone is actually in the wagons

19. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

There's a minor issue with the 4F side doors i put info in the technical page.

20. coursetim

I've done the introductions and a couple of Jubilee services and I do really like the route. On Series S there are a few stutters here and there out in the countryside but I was suprised how smooth loading into Buxton sheds were.

The scenery is beautiful and I love the clutter and luggage etc around the stations and yards it adds a lot to the route. Nice to see a Cat in Buxton also :D

Despite only doing Jubilee services and having a poke around the 8F and 4F I do really like the route so far and haven't found anything game breaking.

The only issues I've seen so far are (playing 2-3 Services):
    • 4F safety valve could do with lowering to same levels as the Jubilee and 8F
    • The head out camera when you click the right stick on console is still broken for both the 8F and Jubilee and seems to be colliding with something. Not had anyone from dtg acknowledge this yet but did post a technical report and in the SOS feedback for this issue.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. TheRagingPOTATO

TheRagingPOTATO Member

I was going to hold off buying new routes for their first few weeks after what's gone on with MML but after reading through here and watching TinTin_57's introduction video my arm is well and truly being twisted into buying this
    It looks beautiful and very polished with (so far) no massive/game breaking issues reported. Also an area I'm familiar with when I was growing up specifically Chinley, Buxton and Chapel-en-le-Frith (though the steam era was very much over by that time, end of BR Blue and start of privatisation is more my generation) - still have family in the area in fact!

• Like Like x 2
  22. SHINO BAZ

I have driven both these locos on many routes and at speed and haven't had any issues moving the camera to any point.So is this a major or minor issue?

23. davod2021

davod2021 Active Member

i am very happy with this dlc Thanks DTG A day 1 purchase for me

24. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Does anyone have a video demonstrating the issues with the headout camera on console?

25. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen of it so far in streams (not has a chance to buy it yet), the scenery and the trains look great. However, colour wise it looks a bit pale and washed out. I thought, having seen the preview stream that it might be the streaming that’s the problem but looking at Hentis’ stream today, it seems to be a problem with the route itself. Can DTG please have a look at this and correct this issue in a patch? It just needs toning down a notch.

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I posted in the other thread, DadRail almost immediately commented it looked like a route from Diesel Railcar Simulator, which as we know is a Unity game. Will judge for myself later when the Steam version generally releases.

Will also be watching the physics with interest. Not a strict comparison but the Jubilee + Load 13 on WCML over Shap, standing start from Eden Valley UGL on to a continuous rising 1 in 125 had barely topped out at 40 MPH before the gradient levelled off at Hardendale. So if Load 8 or 9 is whipping up 1 in 100 at 50 MPH, the TSW Jubilee definitely overpowered...

27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

One was posted on another thread, quoted below…

[

• Like Like x 1
  28. deeuu#6908

I think there is an issue with lighting in the game in general, there are plenty of instances where it can just look "bad", on any route.

edit : I'd probably go as far as to say that fixing it is outside of the realms of the current iteration of TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  29. March Hare

I thought the same in the initial part of the preview stream – it didn't look great to me – but the Royal scenario looked good. You've got the "distance fade" technique, but that looked to me on par with other games.

I think some lighting situations in TSW3 need some calibration, though, as you start to lose detail and depth in the assets. It becomes washed out.

30. March Hare

I wouldn't. It's perfectly within the capabilities of UE4 to look fantastic across all lighting scenarios, so it's down to DTG to do some lighting and colour calibration. I can't imagine a technical reason why that couldn't be patched into TSW3, rather than waiting for a TSW4.

• Like Like x 3
  31. deeuu#6908

I was talking more about the development time needed on an improvement that isn't part of the monetisation of the product.
    You've got to appreciate that the economy is on it's backside, and as much as we'd like our hobby products perfect and not spend any more on them, it's going to be more of a consideration for the team.

32. coursetim

Hi Matt
    This was my video from the other threads and ticket:

Cycling through the views works totally fine but clicking the right stick is to get head out collides the camera as shown :)

• Like Like x 3
  33. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Only had time to do a short shunting service with the 4F and wholeheartedly agree. Please lower the volume! I thought we were done with the loud safety valves after the last patch.

• Like Like x 2
  34. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

Can you kindly get the Steam (Valve) people to release this for those of us Commonwealth cousins across the pond? I've pre-ordered it and would actually love to have a go.

Kind regards,
    Dave

35. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Will release within the next couple of hours, same as always.

• Like Like x 1
  36. kepo#6276

kepo#6276 New Member

A time would be great. Just vaguely waving your hand and saying "soon" doesn't help those of us with responsibilities.

• Like Like x 2
  37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Well I didn’t want to give a time as I have no idea what TimeZone 85Leaf is in. It also can release earlier or later depending on when Valve press go, but it’s safe to assume 6pm BST.

Unfortunately, your responsibilities do not align with Valve, or DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  38. March Hare

ea
    On the flip side of this, from a customer viewpoint, the customer has expressed dissatisfaction with this since day one of TSW3. The customer has paid for TSW3 expecting high quality, at least on a par with the previous iteration and with improvements on top. Where something seems like a downgrade, the customer can be expected to ask for the improvement to come in the iteration they have already paid for, not have to wait for the next version. It's similar (not entirely the same, granted) as players of TSW2 still not having a working save game. Why should they need to buy TSW3 to have what was sold as a core feature of TSW2, but that is still broken in that game? I'm fairly certain improved lighting was a selling point of TSW3, but many players (most?) don't see it as an improvement at all (not in all lighting situations).

DTG have said before that they were holding back a bit on release schedules to concentrate on improvements instead, so they have put that within their "realm of development" themselves...

• Like Like x 3
  39. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

To everyone who already purchased the route and tried to plays Peak Forest, is it worth the full price or should i wait a sale for this route?

Don't get me wrong, after watching the preview stream i become very interested to the route but I still have some doubt to buy it as a day 1 purchase.

40. imnotgreek#2530

imnotgreek#2530 Member

I don't know what the release date in the US (on steam) is, but the timer said "in 1 hour" and now it's been on "coming soon" for almost 2 hours. Is the release date at noon?

41. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

47 mins

42. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Steam always releases at 10 am its own local time, that is US Pacific (currently daylight-savings). Ergo 11 MDT, 12 CDT, 1 EDT, and 6 BST.

43. coursetim

I've played a couple of Jubilee services and I'm loving it at the moment. Was a little hesitant buying day one but as of now I've really enjoyed it and can't wait to do more of the services and scenarios :)

Had a few little stutters of lag on series S but its been much better than SOS.

• Like Like x 1
  44. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The release times won't change. There is no rush to play a digital product so just be patient nor is it going to disappear and go out of stock

45. MarkCovz4761

I agree I'm really enjoying it I'm loving the 4F good to have another steam engine added to the game to

• Like Like x 4
  46. swift19

swift19 Active Member

Great route. Done two runs, Buxton - Chinley and then Ambergate to Buxton. Super scenery.
    Would love some passenger runs with the 4F or the 101.
    Also, not being an expert on steam handling, I found the kettle easier to control since the update and I could keep to time which is a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  47. SHINO BAZ

I'm wondering if anyone's noticed the access doors anamation issue with the 4F?It's not a major issue but the 4F is the star of the show you would think it get fully tested.I have a note on the technical page about this.

48. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Had a one short run with the Jubilee, and one shunting service with the 4F. So far, this looks like an exceptional release from DTG.
    What I have seen of the scenery is very well done, and it might be the most scenery full route done by DTG yet. It is not Niddertalbahn level, but it is not that far off, considering the route length. It is very impressive.

It also looks like DTG is finally figuring out how to do proper visual clutter in UE. There iis long distance visible grass, fields, tons of telephone/electricity poles, and other clutter. The water is not perfect ocean blue, but more greeninsh, natural. Very well done.

I also enjoyed the shunting service, starting with an 8F uncoupling the consist, and me then moving the consist to another sidding and stowing the brake wagon to a dedicated sidding with other brake wagons, while, what I believe is the same 8F that originaly brough the consist, runing around the operation through another sidding. It looked like a freight operation, something that wasn't always the case in TSW.

Honestly, this + long awaited SOS patch has been huge W for steam fans in TSW.

• Like Like x 10
  49. SHINO BAZ

The routes great but the 4F sides acsess doors need checked for anamation errors.I posted in the technical page about this issue.

50. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

I love the setting's atmosphere; the semaphores, signal boxes, automobiles, even the fashions worn by the botty bots adds to the feel. Have completed a couple of the journey scenarios (which I've come to really enjoy btw) around Buxton. First impression is this DLC is quite lovely. YMMV.

Kind regards,
    Dave

• Like Like x 4