West Somerset Speed Limits

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FredElliott, May 7, 2023.

1. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

So I like WSR in general, but by crikey those speed limits make it a dull drive. As far as I know, these speed limits are enforced by NR (or some governmental body) on the basis that its a heritage railway. Obviously this wasn't always the case before Beeching. Does anyone have any info on what the actual line speeds would be along the entire line would have been while it was still part of the national network? I'd like to try running it according to that, rather than guessing what's appropriate

2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I think I have seen the figure of 45 on here before but I don't know how accurate that is.

3. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

I think in the order of 40-50mph.

4. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I have seen something somewhere or another that stated about 40-50mph on the section represented

though I would imagine any section below 25mph, is still part of the older system/standard

5. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I found this on a forum post. Not sure exactly where the 40 limit is but it was around mile posts 181.30 to 182.75 if I've read it right? Not sure if anyone else better understands the language here :D Otherwise 55mph seems accurate?

"Under BR there was a speed limit to 40mph between 181miles 30 chains and MP 182.75
    for UP and DOWN trains (Washford station is 182m 11ch) There was no restriction over
    Black Monkey Bridge other than the overall 55mph."

6. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about WSR in particular, but many heritage railways around the world stick to low speeds for reasons such as -
    • Reducing the wear & tear to the infrastructure & equipment ( thus reducing the maintenance cost ).
    • Giving passengers more time to enjoy the ride.
    • It also gives a chance for onlookers to come a little closer to the railway which otherwise would've been uncomfortable for everyone had the trains been operating at MPS.
    And the usual constraints of -
    • Government regulations.
    • Outdated ( preserved ) infrastructure

• Like Like x 1
  7. Taihennami

Taihennami Well-Known Member

The main constraint is usually the "Light Railway regulations". These are much less onerous and costly for heritage railways to adhere to, but they do come with the blanket 25mph speed limit - which can only be lifted by prior arrangement for special circumstances, such as test runs or cinematography, on non-public running days.

There is one heritage railway that is not bound by the Light Railway restrictions: the GCR.

Incidentally, there are 80 chains in a mile. So the BR-era 40mph limit was between miles 181⅜ (ie. halfway between the 181¼ and 181½ mileposts) to the 182¾ milepost.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

ISTR someone mentioning the line speed in BR days was 40 MPH so not incredibly fast.
    I have exceeded the line speed myself on WSR a bit (if you consider 55 MPH “a bit”) without consequence other than not getting AP. Of course on a timetabled run you end up waiting at stations but at least you can enjoy a bit of thrash!

9. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

TSW scoring needs some reconsideration. Reckless, impatient over speeding, no signs of derailment and ............ a gold medal. Yay!

Train Sim World 2_20220802185145.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  10. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

It's classed as a light railway and since the early days of the Railways light railways were limited to 25mph as it was cheaper to run.

11. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Coincidentally I did that scenario as well yesterday! Honestly I think these relaxed medal score thresholds aren’t that bad, they give you a chance to run the line at its former non-heritage running speed without being punished.

• Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Among other things, "Light Railway" classification means that they don't have to install anachronistic TPWS etc on their vintage trains.

13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I find I never play the route.
    Those speed limits may be authentic but they are a total gameplay killer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FredElliott

True, but this was only applied after it reopened as a heritage railway. Before it was shut down in (presumably) the Beeching cuts it was part of the national network and not subject to light rail/heritage regulations

15. FredElliott

Hence the interest in finding out what the limits used to be. Since the operators of it went to the trouble of making the stations look like they were preserved (which is represented in game of course) it wouldn't be an immersion breaker to run an ancient loco (steam or diesel, unsure if diesel would have ever run on here in the day) at line speed as of ~1960, though would likely have to be done in scenario planner so timetabled locos didn't get in the way

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well the speeds and gradients would be more of a challenge if we had a small steam loco such as a Pannier or even a Prairie hauling 6 or 7 coaches. But a 2750hp main line diesel capable of 95 MPH just seems pointless. Even the 33 romps away with most trains, as does the Western.

17. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The route is great in scenario planner! No dreadful wait times at the stations, you can just tackle the route at your own pace. Tried it with a Jubilee last week, was so much better than the timetable runs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. Yes it is slow but it also is a beautiful route. There also is a lot of shunting activity at the endpoints of the route. The steep grades also make driving not really a task you can do while asleep,

• Like Like x 3
  19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Diesels were used on the line, in the early 60's DMU's would have replaced steam, probably class 116's, 118's or 120's from Laira depot. The line was open till 1970 or 1972 so after the end of steam. I have seen a photo of a class 123 running a summer Saturday through train from Paddington.

Shame we can't have an era switcher, one existed in MSTS so you could run it as a heritage line or back to the 50's with a Prarie tank.