Blackpool Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andyward1971, May 12, 2023.

1. andyward1971

andyward1971 Active Member

Hi all. So I bit the bullet and downloaded this route. I needed 2 of the payware routes as I didn't have them so got them now. I now need the chaddock engineering but I keep getting an error when trying to access the UK trainsim website. Does anyone know anywhere else I could get the chaddock engineering? I have searched on old threads and tried the various links but no joy. Thanks

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  2. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I'm 99% sure it's on uktrainsim.com. However the site is returning an error so I can't give you a link. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I'm 100% sure it is on UKTS :). There are two files you need for both versions of this route. LNWR signal boxes, and footbridges. Just wait for the UKTS site to come back online, as I'm not sure where else you would get them. Also... UKTS is due to close later this year, so once it's back up I recommend scraping it for as much as you can get. I would particularly recommend the "freeware packs" and the Chaddock stuff, as many routes use these. Once safely downloaded... please back the files up, as once they're gone, they're gone.

Not sure which route you have downloaded... Northern Lines V2.3, or Northern Lines Electric, but the non electric version has some long standing issues that have never been fixed despite being reported several time.
    Approaching Blackpool the 15mph limit comes into affect well before the sign.
    Leaving Poulton on the down line, you will always SPAD, so if you have the game set to quit upon SPAD, you will never complete this route. The issue is that the signal that is ON for the Fleetwood line seems to be treated like a SPAD for you, even if the left hand signal for the mainline is off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. andyward1971

Hi. I got the Northern Lines V2.3. The route is working which is good. I will keep trying the UK trainsim website for the files I need.

5. Pookeyhead

I would just send them to you, but unsure if that infringes anyone's rights. Can anyone confirm this?

6. andyward1971

I would appreciate that if it is ok to do it. I've been trying all day to access UK trainsim but keep getting too many connections error

7. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

Like you guys I no longer can access the UKTrainsim site, and must admit am a bit cheesed off as I am paying for premium access and can not even access the site. I also have the Chaddock engineering files already downloaded but am wary of passing on as I don't fully understand how this sits with copywrite etc.
    Personally I don't see how sharing a file that is already available as freeware on a non - accessible site can be in breach of any copywrite whatsoever?
    Surely as long as no money exchanges hands then it is just a case of the same software files being distributed from a different server?
    Am prepared to be educated otherwise by those more learned than I.

8. jrnyfan4life

jrnyfan4life New Member

Copyright isn't about money changing hands. You need permisson from the original author of the work to distrubute it elsewhere, and if said permission isn't sought or granted, then that's copyright infringment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pookeyhead

Which is why I didn't do it :)

10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's not copyright as such it's intellectual property rights and the author of that property has the right backed by law to choose how that property is distributed if at all.

So no, short answer whether it's for profit or other gain or not, it's still not allowed to be shared, freeware or not, unless of course the author has stated in writing otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

I totally get where you guys are coming from but where do I stand?
    I have paid my subscription to a site that now says "YOU CAN NOT DOWNLOAD SOMETHING YOU HAVE PAID FOR"
    UKTS They have taken my money but denied me access to their content.
    Is that not fraud????
    And yet the commentary is about whether we can share some freeware without upsetting someone?
    IN BLACK ::- you have taken my money and I cannot download the content I am entitled to.
    IN WHITE :- you won't let me share the content I have already downloaded because the other customers have paid a subscription and have been denied access to the content they are entitled to?

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  12. andyward1971

A lot of these 3rd party routes etc ask for these files from UK trainsim. Pointless downloading the routes at the moment with no access to the website. It's not good you have paid for a subscription and no access.

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I don't make the laws fella, I'm just offering clarification to someone who asked, and whether the host (UKTS) charges for a premium membership or not has no bearing on the mod authors rights, his rights remain the same whether they are distributed freely or not and those rights are not bound or affected by the host sites billing or maintenance policies.

As for UKTS being down it'll probably be back up shortly it usually is, this is a regular occurrence now for the last couple of years, and it's not at it's final plug pulling date yet (August iirc) so don't fret too much, just try again tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jrnyfan4life

jrnyfan4life New Member

It's not fraud at all, you're overreacting a bit here. It would only be fraud if they took your money then closed down the site, and this isn't the case here at all, you haven't been denied access, the website is simply unavailable at this time. People take their intellectual property very seriously, hence the laws surrounding what you can and can't do with someone else's work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Hardly fraud. you go and buy a car that has a 40L tank capacity of petrol you drive the car out the car lot with half a tank do you go crying back to the car dealer because you only have half a tank of petrol ??? no you paid for the service of the car not the petrol it requires. Same prinicple here you have paid for premium downloads on a website nothing else. The website will go down you just need to wait

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you pay a Digital Subscription and are then unable to use it your complaint should be with people who sold it you.
    If that was possible one person could download anything and share it with anyone they wanted
    Nobody would therefore need a subscription

17. andyward1971

Just managed to get on the UK trainsim site. Paid for a month's premium access. Found the chaddock engineering files I need. Clicked on download and nothing . I will keep trying though. But a bit closer to getting the files I need

18. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

Check that your browser/windows is not blocking the download on security grounds. There is not a problem but the security certificate has expired and the browser doesn’t like it - you have to override and it downloads.

19. andyward1971

I was using Chrome but I changed to Microsoft edge and got the downloads. The files are now in my download folder . Got there in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It's also worth taking into account abandonware, software that you will never be punished for distributing as the creator or owner will not or cannot enforce it, as is the case with old games like Test Drive Unlimited.