How Would You Feel About An Ato Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by west coastway trains, May 13, 2023.

?

Would you like an ATO (automatic train operation) route in tsw?

This poll will close on May 13, 2024 at 9:05 AM.
  1. Yes, at full price

15.9%
  2. No, not at all

58.9%
  3. Yes but I wouldn’t pay the standard £30

12.1%
  4. I don’t mind

13.1%
  1. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

Just a poll to get your thoughts on whether an ATO route in tsw would go down well with the community. Whilst it is boring for some, others enjoy to sit back and have the train drive itself, stop at stations and red signals and follow the speed limits. After all, ATO is the direction which the railways are heading.

2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Boring, you can drive as a second man or passenger already.

• Like Like x 12
  3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

As long as there is the provision to drive manually, it would be okay. The Glasgow Subway route in TSC has ATO simulated and it's actually quite fun. I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Victoria Line (with 1967 and 2009 stock) or maybe the new Elizabeth line with the manual/automatic changeover procedure (although the full line is likely too big for a single DLC).

Although there's still plenty of contemporary routes that would be more appealing than most ATO enabled routes I can think of.

• Like Like x 7
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

An ATO route would be as boring as the million and one polls started in the forums every day.

• Like Like x 7
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

But the poll helps to answer the OP's question. ATO has been dismissed, so case is closed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. west coastway trains

People are more likely to vote in the poll than answer the thread, and the poll has done what it was meant to: give a conclusive answer

• Like Like x 1
  7. redrev1917

A sample size of 28 will never give a conclusive answer at all

• Like Like x 4
  8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind ato routes. Sometimes I just want a nice, relaxing ride.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

ATO might be interesting if it's only a small section of a route, like Thameslink core for example but a full ATO route without the ability to drive would not be interesting at all.

• Like Like x 7
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are plenty of people who would like an ATO route because it could depict a route they like, such as DLR, that won’t ever be made if ATO isn’t considered. It would be fine for sitting there and relaxing, watching the scenery and train traffic if that is something you like to do. I don’t think the numbers of players willing to buy it would be sufficient to make a DLC of that kind commercially viable though, not while there are so many DLC to choose from where you actually drive the trains.

I haven’t voted in the poll. I really don’t know if I would buy such a route, not that I’m ever going to have to make that decision.

11. west coastway trains

When the overwhelming majority of those 28 people say the same thing, it looks conclusive

12. redrev1917

Doesn't help when you have 2 positive answers, 1 neutral answer (what does "Dont care" even mean, did you mean "Dont Know"?) and only 1 negative answer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I can't imagine my spending more than $5 on something like this. After one or two trips, the whole route would have no further appeal and would be back in the closet.

It would be equivalent to one of those trivial routes they sell around the holidays.

And, as was pointed out, you can already do this by riding as a passenger or sitting in the second man's chair.

Or, I can watch a cab ride or a YT movie.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  14. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Well, we can all do basic maths, can't we?

As of now, it stands at:
    11 - Yes (4 only if conditions are met)
    5 - Don't Care
    30 - No

• Like Like x 1
  15. west coastway trains

Don’t care, maybe to your surprise means don’t care. I know what I meant, thanks. Just to clear it up, it means ‘I don’t care whether an ATO route comes to tsw or not’

• Like Like x 1
  16. redrev1917

The question will you buy an ato route answer "don't care", please make that make sense because it doesn't make any sense.
    I'm always saying I son't care if I buy something?

17. west coastway trains

Don’t care if the item is made, not purchased

18. Omnicitywife

Omnicitywife Well-Known Member

LZB with AFB already does this. I never use AFB for this very reason.

19. redrev1917

You are using AFB wrong then

20. west coastway trains

Not stopping at stations like full ATO does, though. Lzb is the closest thing to fully automatic train driving

21. Omnicitywife

By not using it? Sure, buddy...

Some LZB systems are design to be "full ATO".

In game, it is very possible to stop at stations with LZB and AFB without any input if the signal at the station is set to red, is it optimal? Probably not, but it works.

22. redrev1917

No by allowing AFB to brake for you, my understanding is from others in this forum who are far more knowledgeable then I am in German railways is that you should never allow AFB to brake for you, its there as a safety feature to prevent you over speeding.

23. Omnicitywife

That is true if you use the AFB lever to slow down, AFB with LZB will follow the LZB brake curve nice and smoothly, far more so than I ever could anyway.

24. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Looks like the "nays" have it, including mine. This is why the proposals for modern tube routes rarely get an upvote from me as most of those are ATO.

25. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve just voted “Yes, at full price” after having a think about it. I haven’t totally made my mind up about buying a fully ATO route and it still remains that it is highly unlikely to ever come up but it is the most likely answer that if they did make one I would buy it. I buy everything.

26. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

LZB does not know anything about stations. Not every platform has the exit signal at its end, nor is every signal red at a station.

So LZB is not ATO at all. A passenger stop is always performed manually.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2023
  27. Crosstie

Ooh, developers love you then. They don't have to try very hard. :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. Omnicitywife

Again, some LZB systems do, LZB isn't exclusive to one specific system designed for ICE trains running 160kmh+.

DTG could create a route with the correct equipment or a route that has signals at all stations that are set to red (like bakerloo line).
    Now, the community wants to operate the trains, and DTGs have acknowledges that, so neither will happen, in the near future anyway.

29. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

If there’s the option to manually drive the train too, definitely, as long as the quality of the DLC is worth the price and it releases in a good state.

30. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

Not a full only ATO route, but partial or the ability to drive manually. Elizabeth line would be good as part ATO part manual. Something like Paddington to Shenfield, with ATO between paddington and Whitechapel. Then an "extension" out to Reading with an "updated" GWR pack (idk if I'd care about the Abbey Wood branch). But I'm wishful thinking and should pop it in the suggestion forum. Point is, I'd pay full for ATO as long as it's just not only ATO. But we all have our own opinions on it. Interesting to see how everyone else feels.

31. RedTiger SA92

RedTiger SA92 Member

Only with working toilets.

Serious, not interested because I like to drive.

32. trainsimplayer

I don't see why people are using 'but you have to do station stops' as an arguement here. That's basically just stopping the train and getting it started again. It's the exact same thing loads of people complain about when it comes to high-speed routes, namely Great Western Express and the German High-Speed routes.

If you want a driver-less experience, go into an AI train that has a second seat in the cab and sit there.
    If it's ATO with the option to drive the full route, then fair enough. But then you would struggle to keep up the timetable, as in reality that is defined to go with ATO if it's used in regular service.

Therefore, I voted no, because I don't see the reasoning behind a driverless route in a game that focuses on driving trains...

33. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

ATO is an absolute no no for me because as others have said there is no point putting a driverless train in a game where it's main focus is driving trains.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Actually, it is close. IIRC from my university statistics course, you need 32+ answers to start to consider it representative.

35. trainsimplayer

Interesting. I always took it to be "as many people it takes until the poll agrees with my point of view"... the more you know :D

36. west coastway trains

A lot of modern trains are ‘driven’ by pressing a few buttons and that will become the norm in a few years

37. matt#4801

Not really I still have to use much more than a few buttons in real life and this is on one of the most modern units in the country. It may well come the norm eventually but I think it will be decades rather than years before it is just a few buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Crosstie

Well, that may be so on real trains, but the way DTG are making " electrostar- type " trains for ( it seems like ) almost every UK route these days, they virtually run themselves with a couple of buttons for lights etc.. All you really have to do is push the power/brake handle back and forth. So they're very close to ATO and that's why I don't care for them, even on very good routes like BML and SEHS.

• Like Like x 2
  39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There’s actually a long and growing list of DLC I haven’t bought. Some defunct loco DLC like the M3 for LIRR and the 204, plus the unnecessary 187 I will probably never buy and the 1938 stock is looking like I’ll not get that either. I’ve hardly bought any TSW3 DLC and most of it needs to be in a sale before I will. So when I say I buy everything, I will if the quality is good enough and the price is right. I like the variety.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Except the people on this forum are the more dedicated fans of the game, thus polling here isn't representative of the full playerbase which also includes a lot of more casual players not active on the forums.

41. west coastway trains

Maybe I phrased it badly. By ‘a few years’ I meant 20-30 years or so

• Like Like x 1
  42. matt#4801

Oh yes, even the trains I was talking about aren't too far off that in fairness, but at least I get a nice window! I think I might cry if we do get another electrostar route and as the family would tell you that is a very rare event!
    Ah right, sorry that was me understanding it as few years in my head was about the 5 to 7 year mark. That's probably more likely, though definitely at the thirty end of the scale.

• Like Like x 1
  43. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

They also stop on a dime, so you can hit the platform ramp doing 30 MPH and not even break a sweat that you’ll stop in time, probably not even need Step 3.

• Like Like x 3
  44. west coastway trains

True, another underground route would, for me, ideally be part manual, part ATO, like the district or metropolitan

• Like Like x 1
  45. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yeah, as I said that is the minimum. It is not the full picture but also not something that you should completely ignore. This is one of those cases where the cost to find the fully representative answer costs more than the worth of the info that you would get from it.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  46. redrev1917

We also dont know the breakeven point for a route in terms of sale vrs the owners of TSW. I mean if 4/10 TSW owners would buy X route is that high/low/somewhere in the middle of the expectations of a DLC?

47. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The result of the poll is just one thing to consider. There are many others, like how much money / development time you would invest into making such a route, or if the selected route has other features that would also make it desirable that is not the ato train, etc ...

• Like Like x 1
  48. redrev1917

A far better and much clearer question would be "On a scale of 1 - 10 (with 1 being would never consider purchasing and 10 being a definite purchase), how likely are you to purchase an ATO route?"

49. trainsimplayer

This poll is perfectly clear.

50. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I personally don't care for ATO on a simulator, any more than I would want a flight sim where the plane took off, changed direction and landed itself. I don't want passenger mode or guard mode or anything such, I want to drive trains. If I wanted to watch trains being driven I would go on YouTube and rerun through the Don Coffey video list and watch people doing it properly... I see no reason to go into a fake world and not do anything for up to an hour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1