Ideas For A Potential Community Spotlight

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dtg_jan, May 5, 2023.

1. Thanks. Just putting the ideas out there..... it might help.

Lately Matt has been invigorating us with information. The guy is like a Professor!

The Professor of Train Sim World. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I fail to see any of that. Wrong thread?

3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry, deleted.

4. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Good morning gang!
    I'm always looking forward to sitting down with my morning tea, reading this thread and seeing all the cool ideas you've been coming up with. You have, yet again, not disappointed me. Well done!

I really like the idea of ingame challenges like this! Don't know if we're able to do that, but I'll certainly write it down and will make sure to approach the appropriate people. Well done folks! Very well done!

A livery designer challenge sounds like a fantastic idea. Having the winners and runner ups be highlighted in the article sounds great too, maybe we could have first place be on the front page for the Creators Club as well?

Trainsimplayer is correct, the focus should be on the community, not necessarily train tech news. But I also like SD40Australia's idea.
    Say, for example some cool new tech gets released, maybe we still mention it? Maybe as a small note at the end of the article?
    I personally am interested in the new digital automatic coupling (aka DAC) that's supposed to be implemented in European freight trains, or maybe there's news on maglev trains?
    TL;DR tech news could work if it's big enough news.

Gang, I know I keep saying this, but you keep knocking this thing out of the park. Thank you so very much for all your ideas, and please don't hesitate to keep them coming. We're still in the very early stages of development for this segment, but I'll keep you in the loop.
    Also, make sure to check out the counterpart discussion for this thread on the TSC forums to see what the other members think here

• Like Like x 7
  5. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Hey Jan, you very often use the term: gang. I think you didn't want to call the community a group of criminals, onstead to use a trendy term. It's always a good idea to adjust the forum, so that the community and its content can be represented in a better form. I also agree with many aleady mentioned suggestions.
    One could also think about a developer corner, where current screenshots of content in development can presented to get first inital feedback from the community. I know that DTG often likes to surprise its fans on special streaming events like the Festival of Rails. But it would give the community the possibility to make a kind of course correction, if some uncertenty on the developer side is present and to prefent such things as missing skylines or wrong PIS.

That's it for now from this gang member! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

dtg_jan DTG Jamie I was surprised to see my Peak Forest Railway screenshots being featured on the TSW social pages, thank you for that, seeing that made my night :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  7. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Hello, I can add some useful insight here!

I've worked with our Data team on events and how we can tie in data to help bolster these, so if you are curious below is a list of most the game telemetry we can currently track from players:
    • Experience
    • Distance Driven
    • Scenarios Played
    • Collectables Gathered
    • Distance Walked
    • Wagons Loaded
    • World Sessions Started / Ended
    • Max Speed Achieved
    • CreatorsClub (Play with a CC livery)
    • Scenario Origin (Play with a CC scenario)
    • Various CC (Publish a livery and play with a downloaded one)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Thank you for the answer about the collected information !

All of these sound like they could be used or showcased for various events. If the idea of a "player of the month" or such is to competition-inducing (also cheatable through mods), then maybe it could be used after a DLC release to showcase some highlights of said DLC ? Some games do that in a very unique or fun way, and I'd love something similar TSW:

hitman-year-one-infographic.jpg

If the data is collected anyway, and both the playerbase and the content are so wildly different, why not showcase it proudly, right ?

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  9. trainsimplayer

Off Topic but I refuse to believe that they made it possible to escape a full on militia base with a blue dinosaur bike.

But yes, the above is a good example of what could be done for TSW, like you said, the data's there anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  10. simpman

simpman Well-Known Member

They had done this right at the launch of the initial Train Sim World. They also had challenges. They haven't been around since mastery was added.

[​IMG]

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...article/introducing-community-challenges-beta

• Like Like x 3
  11. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Yep, just like that ! With a bit more humor here and there, and a bunch of tips and tricks in the style of "Did you know that ... ?" and I think they would be fun and interesting for each DLC release !

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Are you sure the word 'Class' is allowed to be used? (Profanity filter says NO)

I like that, they could split it into the three regions as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. trainsimplayer

Well played... Well played indeed :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

The opportunity for community to pop on a dtg stream once a week or something. Either virtual or in the office

15. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Hey all,

really like these ideas and just wanted to let you know that this hasn't been abandoned but is very much still being worked on!
    Just have other tasks and projects that I'm working on at the same time that are currently higher in priority.
    Once I've got less things on my plate I'll focus on this project.

All the best,
    Jan

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. One idea I have is to showcase a city's rail system?

For example, Manchester and Birmingham (are they hinting WCML coming soon???), would love to know if the 323s go past old Trafford.... and some lines in Birmingham... it is all interesting! When these routes are released I am certain it must generate some curiosity.

My own city of Perth in Australia has 5 lines and a tiny branch to Thornlie which at this time is being extended.
    The railway is 3'6" narrow gauge, 1067mm.
    But since 1967 we have partially changed to standard gauge, but not the urban network. WA is the same as Queensland. Except in the Pilbara WA has true to spec (exactly the same) American Class 1 Railroad infrastructure which is standard gauge as we mine hundred of millions of tonnes of iron ore annually.

The five suburban railway lines are:

Joondalup (built in 1991-2 runs up the middle of the Mitchell Freeway and is not the most interesting around apart from it's efficient services)
    Fremantle (famous for 1987 America's Cup race)
    Midland
    Armadale
    Mandurah (the newest line running along the Kwinana freeway which is void of any landmarks etc making it truly boring)

A new line is being built to Ellenbrook. And Joondalup is being extended to Yanchep. It will add millions to the state budget costings for maintenance, staff and operating costs etc.

As Perth is a huge mining hub it is growing rapidly. I guess population in the UK hasn't been growing much or am I wrong?

Also the problem with building in the middle of the freeway is that you get the odd vehicle from time to time obstructing the railway because of maniac driving. Train speeds vary from 120 on the Joondalup line to 130kph on the Mandurah line.

Fremantle is the most scenic with Midland the second most.

I forgot to add we have just opened the Perth Airport railway line (High Wycombe) and we have lots of English names as you can see.....

IMG_5526.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2023
  17. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

When I was in Perth (1999, jeez!), we took the Australind to Bunbury for a day trip, an interesting rural line, IIRC. UK population is growing, but not as fast as WA (or Perth, in so far as there's a difference :)).