Peak Forest Railway: Ambergate – Chinley & Buxton Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dtg_jan, May 9, 2023.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So a customer can do a lovely green reskin of the 101, okay probably still with the BR blue interior, but DTG with all their art resources couldn’t manage it!

• Like Like x 4
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have bought this route and it is such a gorgeous route, definitely one of the best scenically, vying with Linke Rheinstrecke which I have also recently bought and has lovely scenery too.

Those screenshots of the green class 101, just look so right.

I have played a few services with the 4F and echo the thoughts about the loud safety valves. It is a lovely looking loco though but I feel it could do with a few longer runs, some trip freights and some stopping passenger trains. It wouldn't have been impossible to have seen them on some lightly loaded stopping services.

I do feel that with a DMU and a Peak pack and the missing stopping services between Ambergate and Chinley, the route would feel very much more alive.

I do hope if a diesel pack is released it doesn't usurp the steam hauled passenger trains but adds to them.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MatsH

MatsH Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

I second that! And now we have a second example of a community mod in less than a week (first being the green DMU), this time fixing something that should have been taken care of in house before release and will no doubt be weeks or months waiting an official patch if it gets patched at all.

I know DTG hate it when we use the "L" word to describe the mindset at the company and I choose not to use it. Nevertheless there has to be something seriously amiss with the production discipline and work ethic when simple things are being missed or put in the too difficult basket.

• Like Like x 7
  5. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

Another lovely shot.
    upload_2023-5-13_18-35-10.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Wow, those are really impressive screenshots. So why the community has to beg again DTG? Why not release a dlc pack right from the begin in addition?

Its really not the point to get anything for free, but the thin timetables (clrearly not because only because the rolling stock isnt available), together with the fire and forget politic of DTG, makes me believe tsw is a one way road.

Would pay a LOT of money for dlcs (route extensions, loco dlcs, wagon dlcs, service dlcs, "green DMU packs ;)"...., but unfortunately the developers just move on to the next project after releasing their half finished routes. Looking at SOS - Crewe liverpool, i dont get the point of all the research and huge effort, just to leave it behind with all the huge track side, effort went into the scenery etc.

DTG!, our 1 Dimensional thinking strategy just cant keep up with whats necessary to make tsw a true sucessor, clearly visible at the threads after release seeing you running around with fire extinguishers..

Its about time to realize the creativity belongs to the playerbase, means in constructive words:

- consist editor
    - extended pathing for scenario planner (to place static stock / use all the sidings)
    - simple tasks in scenario planner
    - timetable editor

If your todays budgeds only last to the point where you run out of time again and again, probably it would be better to do something...,
    currently i see wasted opportunities on many corners of all releases, basicly on DTGs vision at all.

• Like Like x 15
  7. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Reds on Royal Appointment scenario need fixing. Even in the 60's stopping the Royal Train was a big no-no because the entire trip was worked out probably months in advance. I'm constantly getting reds after a green and I'm having 300-400 yards to stop the train from line speed which at the slowest is 45mph

• Like Like x 3
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Correct- the Royal Train has A-number-one trumps-everything priority. This is as much for security as anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

Yes. Barring an actual incident the Royal Train never gets a signal check and is usually “double blocked” to further minimise the risk of a preceding train delaying it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Can the signals be checked between Matlock Bath and Matlock? If the dispatcher sets a route as far as Matlock platform all preceding signals are off. Leaving Matlock Bath you get 4aspect green > 3aspect green > Semaphore clear > [Matlock platform] > Semaphore danger. I can see why this happens, but the logic is wrong. This was observed in the 08.12 off Ambergate in the London-Manchester service. (If we did have proper 39A then this wouldn't happen ;)) But the 3 aspect needs to be yellow in this case, as not all signals in the station are off. MRFS

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  11. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Matlock is a non-standard aspect sequence oddity due to the concatenation of 2, 3 and 4 aspect signals, as well as the use of auxiliary aspects that don't normally light: firstly the signalling at Matlock on the down is predicated on there being a compulsory stop (which adds to the potential interpretations of aspects) and secondly the meshing of what is controlled by Matlock Bath and Matlock makes for an unusual series of aspects: it is something that has exercised the minds of the signalling department quite considerably - not just me, but also Ben.

I have not yet found a notice for the harmonisation of signalling aspects in that stretch; but I am looking. If the date is after Midsummer 1963 then we will hopefully revisit the aspect sequences.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. stormy#4839

stormy#4839 Member

Its quite interesting to see how complicated signalling can get. Would love to hear more about the challenges behind programming things like these for various other routes

• Like Like x 3
  13. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Those shots are simply stunning, makes we want to purchase the route but I'm holding firm. I want to see DTG put some effort in and improve the timetable and also include some Green DMU's

• Like Like x 2
  14. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Thanks :D yeah the timetable could definitely do with beefing up a bit and the diesels are a lot of fun ragging up and down this route. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long before we get these improvements.

15. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I'm working on a little pack to change some stuff (hopefully for the better!) on this lovely route. To be honest, there isn’t a great deal to mess about with but one of the issues in particular is that a number of assets are very vivid in colour and brightness and look out of place. I've toned down a number of things including;

- Phone box
    - All vehicles
    - Platform Trolleys
    - Platform luggage
    - The 3D flowers
    - Collectible lunch
    - Curches

I've also added a bit more vibrance to the fire buckets as they looked washed out compared to everything else, and completely changed the colours of the truck because the yellow and blue was far too bright and vivid. All-in-all subtle changes but the overall look is now much more harmonious in my opinion.

I've also added a bit more realism to the posters and the blank chalk board. Finally, for now, I've doubled the resolution of all the cab and tender textures for the steam locos as although the originals are fairly high resolution anyway it doesn't translate into in cab. In theory this should use a bit more VRAM but I've not noticed it at all. I can include a version without those just in case. Bellow a few screenshots of the changes;

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

...and a couple of before and afters of the colour changes...

Before
    Beforevehicles.jpg

After
    aftervehicles.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. JetWash

Before
    beforecase.jpg

After
    aftercase.jpg

Before
    beforephone.jpg

After
    afterphone.jpg

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Thank you. Very nice adjustments and the cat looks happier too !

• Like Like x 3
  18. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

Hi I was meant to just put this in here but accidentally made a thread about it without realising( don’t ask!) but where is/ what happened to the walking path as I can’t seem to find a trace of it.

Thanks in advance!!!

19. JetWash

Also had a go at these glowing churches. Better right? I think I could maybe even go a bit darker with them still.

Before
    church 2 before.jpg

After
    church 2 after.jpg

Before
    church before.jpg

After
    church after.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

What the heck is this creepy-as cat doing on the rails?? It disappeared after we passed... :o
    upload_2023-5-14_21-22-8.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  22. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

It had to be done! It was a long walk! But Monsal Dale Viaduct is worth it.
    20230514212510_1.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  23. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

How do you get there? Where do you spawn? Thanks!!!

24. MarkCovz4761

MarkCovz4761 Well-Known Member

I noticed that to when I was playing

• Like Like x 1
  25. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I know it's not realistic, but please don't green light this run! Don't change a thing.

This is my first scenario on this route and it is one of the best in the game in my opinion. It is SPAD - o - rama unless you know the signaling cold. So, it is a great introduction on learning semaphore signaling. Make sure you save frequently; I learned one SPAD at a time. The Royals onboard were not impressed.

Here is how I learned to handle it. I look forward to those of you with more knowledge correcting me. When you see an adverse distant signal, treat all the subsequent signals as if they are going to be red until you pass a clear distant signal. Treat every yellow light as an adverse distant signal.

26. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I bought it this morning on the xbox with the discount and I'll tell you something the route is really beautiful. I took a peak for a spin to Buxton and was astonished at how well the scenery has been recreated to the point where I literally know where I am and can see some of the roads I have driven on. It also showed me how much the route needs a Peak and DMU as the sheer beauty can't be taken in from the cab of a kettle. The 4f looks lovely and sounds lovely under 20mph but go any higher and it's a muffled mess. Another thing that bugged me was the window bug on the 8f and jubilee which needs fixing ASAP and I must admit the lighting does seem overly bright (I won't include steam physics as they aren't a route specific thing). Overall though I am pleased with my purchase and glad I did bite as it is a well made route let down by a few things which can hopefully be sorted in a patch or dlc pack later on (my wallet is still open for a green diesel pack with a 45/0 and a 101, a 104 dlc pack and a class 25 dlc pack).

Just a special mention at the end to the genius that designed that all mixed up scenario as it is the best I have ever done in the game and worth the 2 and a half hours I spent doing it.

Well done DTG!

• Like Like x 5
  27. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  28. OldVern

Amen to that on the diesels. I really hope for once DTG are listening and already have a 25 and 104 on the whiteboard along with the retro skin and interiors for the 101 and Class 45.

After a bit more time with the 4F sadly have to agree about the sounds. It has a lovely crisp bark on first pulling away but, just as with the Jubilee and 8F, deteriorates into the wall of white sound at speed. Steam physics and (presumably) the Simugraph projection to the sound engine need a complete rethink where steam traction is concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  29. NanoRoo

NanoRoo New Member

I can only see two achievements for this route, is this correct?

30. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

A nice little touch on the station platform is a old man reading a newspaper and then he turns the page. Love that. We need more of this everyone walks around empty handed

• Like Like x 10
  31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Vision to me means, at least 1 diesel pack should have been released parallel to the main route. Especially in the constellation of peak forest.

Not sure whats going on over there in their dev house. But the current situation reminds me more that dtg doesnt have "a need" to change something. Sales over all 3 platforms seem to be more than good. (Just an asumption).

A constructive feedback.
    Dtg has the capacity of building excellent routes if they want, so why not sell the fullscale enhanced timetable via dlc?

- Br Green dmu pack with an accurate timetable

There would be so many ways to sell the content, of all 60 tsw dlcs 85% seem to follow the ususl abandon type system, which is wasted potential when looking at the work went into routes.

Just wish they would follow the example of sehs, which combines probably 5 or 6 dlcs by now with all layers.

• Like Like x 5
  32. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Just driven the only Derby to Buxton local of the day. I wondered what happens to the loco and stock as I can't find anything in the timetable that takes the carriages back anywhere.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  33. OldVern

The mystic portal awaits...

34. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Would you indulge me in making a couple of perhaps pertinent observations on the timetabling: through no fault of DTG's there was a significant delay in the acquisition of suitable freight timetables and for information, a fortnight ago en route home from Castellón I picked up several hundred freight timetables from the period 1954 -1967, covering a lot of the BR regions excepting the Southern. I am in the process of cataloguing them, and have opened up a dialogue with Gameplay to see if there is any interest within DTG for their future use.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. theorganist

I haven't explored Matlock on the route yet well not in detail I assume there is no turntable there. I wonder if a large passenger tank would have worked that service and worked bunker first in one direction.

I expect it just disappears when you aren't looking!

• Like Like x 1
  36. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

There is a turntable up by the shed. Some services earlier in the day departing Buxton are supplied from the carriage siding and reverse into the midland platforms, but I think this is the only arrival from Derby. Very odd! It could have been a DMU but the daily timetable for Buxton ends early evening, and theres no return working in game either.

And a massive typo I made earlier. Please read Buxton as Matlock!

• Like Like x 1
  37. theorganist

Ah okay I thought I couldn't remember seeing that in the timetable.

I know it is very sliimed down anyway, but the timetable they have supplieddoesn't make sense, Rowsley for example doesn't have any train stopping in one direction so it seems. Also, there are large gaps where no passenger trains seem to operate at all. I would normally baulk at this suggestion but some semi-fictional services being added in wouldn't have been an awful idea in my mind.

38. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Another bit of feedback: we could really do with some sort of PIS implementation for steam-era routes, even if it's just a list of departure times and destinations on a chalkboard. If you're wandering around on foot waiting for the next train, it may be some hours away (especially with the current timetable) so it'd be good to know.

There is an asset already in the stations that looks like a blank chalkboard with a red wooden frame with British Railways written on it - can that be adapted, or is it otherwise an early non-functional version of PIS?

• Like Like x 5
  39. theorganist

Yes I agree I was hanging around on Peak Forest station (after playing with the 4F) and not a train in sight and no way of knowing when one was coming. Looking at the timetable later I think I would have had to wait for a couple of hours to see a passenger train.

40. ben#4046

ben#4046 Active Member

Is it too early to start talking about a diesel layer or timetable additions?

41. ben#4046

ben#4046 Active Member

This is the game. A route without faults is like bread without butter. I laugh at most of them! Unless they're game breaking they're kind of funny to me now.

42. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I believe that asset was also in SoS, and unused there as well.

43. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I remember on a roadmap many moons ago where they showed a picture of a PIS chalkboard for WSR! It never saw the light of day, we need PIS for steam routes and preserved routes

• Like Like x 1
  44. OldVern

Definitely not, in fact I think we should picket DTG Towers until they give us the required Class 25 and Class 104 DMU.

And I agree about PIS, this is a route where it would be nice to do a Day Rover type of activity, alighting at intermediate stations having a walk around then catching the next train on down the line. This would truly put the “World” in Train Sim World…

• Like Like x 6
  45. theorganist

You can do it now if you don't mind a three to four hour wait or in some cases more!

• Like Like x 1
  46. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The sooner the better. Having been burned with the purchase of NYT, I won't buy MML or PFR or indeed any future route that doesn't come with a full real life timetable.

This is a problem that is of the developer's own making, as evidenced by the remedial work now being undertaken for NYT and MML at least.

• Like Like x 6
  47. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Did you miss my comment that getting freight timetables for Peak Forest was delayed (and delayed due to reasons completely outwith DTG's control)?

48. OldVern

I suspect it's the lack of the full pasenger service which is more the issue, particularly local stopping trains, the expresses not booked to stop at Ambergate which start and finish at Matlock and of course the missing Miller's Dale to Buxton Class 104 DMU shuttles.

• Like Like x 5
  49. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting they are to be included as a form of courtesy? I think you are intelligent enough to know what we are asking for.

• Like Like x 1
  50. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

That turntable is, I think, unique among TSW routes because it is hand-cranked! Whoopee!!!!!