Three Routes On My Wishlist- Which Should I Get First?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by james64, May 14, 2023.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

So I think I'm ready for another TSW route, I've got three I'm interested in, but I need help choosing which to get first. I'll get the other two eventually, but I'll probably wait for a sale first.

Peak Forest- I bought Spirit of Steam on release day and kinda regretted it. The route felt quite bland and empty, and to this day I've only spent a total of around 2 hours on it. I've actually spent far more time driving the Jubilee on routes other than the one it was made for. Peak Forest definitely looks more interesting, from both a scenery and gameplay point, and I really like the look of the 4F.

Niddertalhbahn- I'm normally not into German content, but I've heard very positive things about this one. I'd like having another DMU to drive even if it isn't British, and the route looks quite relaxing and rural, which I think I'd enjoy after my most recent purchases have all been quite urban.

New York- Trenton- So Boston Sprinter is probably my favourite non UK route. I really enjoy driving the ACS 64 and especially the Acela, and for this route I'm curious about driving the local services in addition to that. Despite that two things prevented me from getting it on release day- 1. Trying to cut back on excessive spending. 2. The reception on here to the route seemed negative. Having only a casual interest in American railways, I'm willing to bet I won't care or notice a lot of the things people have a problem with, but if it's genuinely poor even for someone not at all familiar with the area like me, then I'd rather stay away from it.

2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Well, I would wait on NYP Trenton until after they release the next update. There are still issues with the signaling/safety systems. I do not have the others so cannot comment.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Niddertalbahn would be the best option. Made by tsg. It is a first exclusive german diesel route set in the past. Very scenic and different activities to do.

Trenton is getting a new timetable. However, the safety systems don't work properly so I would hold off until it gets fixed.

Can't say about peak forest since I haven't bought it yet but here's what I've noticed from the videos I've watched. I like the gameplay, scenery and the 4f. It is still empty timetable wise and is missing services. There's also no appropriate rolling stock. But I like the scenery and banking operations.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Can't recommend NYT, at least not until it's fixed. Right now it's a mess.

• Like Like x 3
  5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Out of these I only have Peak Forest and my only major complaints are the lack of diesels and the slightly dodgy timetable but I would still highly recommend it.

6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Niddertalbahn and can recommend it big time, the DB BR 628 is so much fun to drive (if you like a bit of a slower pace).
    NYT is a route I got myself in a sale and it will sit unplayed until the "big patch" is rolled out, so can't say much about personal gameplay there.

Peak Forest seems to be the most scenic and best steam route so far for the game - but since steam is not my cup of tea (yet) I can't say much about it - but have a look in the most recent feedback thread - if you are into steam you might have a lot of fun there :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Don’t bother with NYT.
    Niddertalbahn is nice but the experience is very samey once you’ve done one run across the route in each direction, very much rinse and repeat. Plus I still can’t quite get it out of my head that the 628 sounds are not 100% genuine.
    But Peak Forest, yes I would say definitely buy it - one of the best routes DTG have done, caveats about steam physics/sound, the timetable and no diesels (yet) notwithstanding. Driving it is serendipitous especially if you go “Off The Rails” in a custom scenario with a diesel loco or DMU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I don´t know Peak Forrest or NYT, so I can´t compare. But what I do know is that Niddertalbahn is one of those few routes you purchase full price and yet, without any regrets.
    If you´re into cozy, picturesque and scenic routes, NID is for you. Besides you can feel the love the devs put into every detail. After some journey and timetable driving, I´m parting ON FOOT now because this route is an invitation for it.

9. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

For my personal taste, if you have Linke, then the Niddertalbahn, because I like the BR628 and think it's more fun to drive on the Linke than it is on the very slow Niddertalbahn, I'm probably in the minority, but I find the Niddertalbahn really boring lol, a bit like West Somerset.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

In this matter, a lot depends on your personal preferences.
    My choice is the Niddertalhbahn. This route is made at a very high quality level. The best for today. I without hesitation acquire everything that the TSG team touches. I don't find the schedule boring, it matches the realities of the route. Everything is thought out, beautiful, vegetation at the level of fantasy. I love BR363 and BR628.

New York-Trenton- I still have it waiting for corrections. I have experienced all kinds of gaming services and I feel like I am missing something. I am delighted with the rolling stock, but the schedule and the emptiness in the environment require serious improvements.

Peak Forest - I just started to get acquainted with the route, the first impressions are good. I would madly want to get a timetable with diesel traction for this route.

11. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

I should imagine the German route is similar in some ways to West Somerset - a pretty little route but quite restrictive in speed. Probably you'll soon tire of it even though I believe it's been well done. I don't have any of the 3 routes you are talking about, but I should imagine once it's sorted NY to Trenton will offer much more replay ability. I'm not a steamer so can't comment on that.

12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally I would say at the moment Niddertalhbahn, presuming it is the sort of route you would like. As it is a stunning creation and I haven't tired of it yet even though it has less variety in "gameplay" than the other routes.

The other two I would say suffer from lacklustre timetables, NYT is being worked on, I will pick it up when it is finished.

Peak Forest is stunning but I think it will really come into its own when new trains are added and the timetable beefed up as it is a shadow of what it would have been, certainly from the passenger side of things.

13. brickmaster#7638

brickmaster#7638 Well-Known Member

Niddertalbahn is a lovely route, even one of the best in my opinion. Even if you don’t want to drive the 628 or the 365 on it, it’s still fun to use other trains via scenario planner on it. New York-Trenton is meh, but it’s nice to have the ex metroliner cabcar back, and with coming upgrades to the timetable it still can become quite OK.

Although I don’t own Peak forest, so I can’t really say wether it’s good or not, but the scenery sure looks nice

• Like Like x 1
  14. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

Probably Niddertalbahn. It’s a level above most other TSW content. The train and route and both equally as lovely.

a few people were saying the 4f on Peak Forest was too powerful (I.e not realistic), so take what you will of that. Otherwise it seems like a nice little route.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Niddertalbahn seems to be the only one of the three that doesn't need a major overhaul in its timetable/stock.

However, being rather bucolic, you have to be in the mood to drive it with any regularity.

I would wait for a sale price for any route these days. The next Steam sale is about 6 weeks away.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 2