Tsc Screenshot Contest - May 2023 - Week 18

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by DTG Jamie, May 9, 2023.

?
  1. Nature and Animals

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Grand Vistas

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Reflections

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Tunnels

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Worldwide

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Welcome back to the Train Simulator Screenshot Contest!

This week's theme is: Freestyle

You can vote for next week's theme in the poll attached to this thread. What is your choice?

Follow us on Instagram (instagram.com/trainsim) to see your screenshots featured on our feed!

How does it work?

You can submit your screenshot to the thread, and every Monday we will choose which screenshots will go to the loading screens. Shortly after, we will open a new thread and announce the winners. Each week has its own theme which is voted for by the community.

Competition Rules:
    • Limit is 2 screenshots per person; 1 screenshot per post.
    • Include in your post the route the screenshot was taken on as well as the name of the train (if applicable).
    • Screenshots must be in a 16:9 resolution, at least 1920x1080 pixels.
    • Screenshots must fit the theme of the week, as stated at the beginning of this post.
    • In order to qualify for the competition, screenshots must be taken from products published by Dovetail Games that are currently on sale.
    Other Rules:

• Official content only. Please make sure anything that is not available on the Steam Store or Dovetail Store is not shown in the screenshot. - This means no reshade, repaint mods, track upgrades or workshop routes.
    • Your entry may be disqualified if it is deemed to not follow these rules. Please limit chat to only when absolutely necessary.
    • Competition closes at mid-day Monday (UK time). The winner will be chosen every Monday.
    • Winner's Prize: The winning screenshot will appear in the game as a loading screen for 1 week!
    (Please Note since the new update which changes loading times we have decided to change it to 1 week)

T&C:
    • Please refer the terms and conditions for this competition here:
    https://dovetailgames.com/competition-terms-and-conditions/
    • Note that by submitting an entry to this contest, you are consenting to us using your screenshot as a loading screen and showing it on our social media channels (such as Instagram)

2. 20230417223934_1.jpg
    Loco : Class 90 Intercity
    Route : WCML North

• Like Like x 4
  3. 20221128234938_1.jpg
    Loco : ES44AC Canadian Pacific
    Route : Canadian Mountain Passes
    Wonderful Springs Day over the Mountains of Canada with a stunning view from one of the many rivers

• Like Like x 6
  4. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Pretty fond of this one from the weekend, giving it a go.
    Route: Ruhr-Sieg, Hagen - Siegen
    Rolling stock: BR 101 DB Red, Coach Bimz DB Red
    20230506141343_1.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  5. triznya.andras

The second shot is from a few weeks back, got lucky with the place of this meeting.
    Route: Canadian Mountain Passes, Revelstoke - Lake Louise (via Golden and Field, to Eldon)
    Rolling Stock: GE ES44AC CP, Wagon Hopper-Potash CP, Wagon Well-53ft v2 Double
    Note: Just a few days prior, CPRR became CPKC with the merger between Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern being complete.
    20230418233204 - GE ES44AC CP, Wagon Hopper-Potash CP.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  6. I`m a railfan obviously

I`m a railfan obviously Well-Known Member

Route: Frankfurt-Koblenz train: DB BR 182, DB BR 429.
    A normal low angle shot. Screenshot_Frankfurt Koblenz_50.31456-7.58784_07-34-53.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_Weardale and Teesdale Rail Network_54.65828--1.69763_14-30-27.jpg
    Route: Weardale & Teesdale Network
    Loco: LNER Raven Q6
    Newton Cap viaduct can be seen in the distance as a coal train approaches Bishop Auckland.

• Like Like x 3
  8. bartlettchris48

bartlettchris48 New Member

Screenshot_Koblenz - Trier_50.29767-7.46145_06-05-44.jpg
    Route - Koblenz to Trier
    Loco - DB 145
    Author - Hamster Cheeks

• Like Like x 3
  9. simoselva

simoselva Active Member

Flying Scotsman A3 sulla linea principale di Chatham.

20230109015217_1.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. simoselva

simoselva Active Member

Amburgo a Hannover - DB BR103 and DB BR101.

20230422050543_1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

RGS #445 hauls a long (for the RGS) freight northbound across the second of three trestles at Gallagher. Screenshot_Rio Grande Southern_37.77693--107.93626_12-39-51.jpg
    Route: Rio Grande Southern
    Loco: K-27

• Like Like x 4
  12. carl.headley92

carl.headley92 Well-Known Member

20230206080049_1.jpg

ROUTE: METROPOLITAN LINE
    LOCO: S8 STOCK TUBE

• Like Like x 4
  13. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

Train: E233-1000
    Route: Tokyo Commuter: Keihin–Tohoku & Utsunomiya Lines Route Add-On
    1683904779777.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  14. unionpacificfan

unionpacificfan Well-Known Member

DB BR 120 on Hausach-Konstanz (Black-Forest Route) passing a railway crossing just before entering a tunnel

Screenshot_Hausach-Konstanz (Black-Forest Route)_48.13629-8.26536_11-08-23.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  15. unionpacificfan

ES44AC NS Heritage(Conrail and Norfolk Southern) with a heavy freighttrain on Tehachapi Passwhile another train passing on top of the tunnel which this train have just passed.

Screenshot_Tehachapi Pass_35.19954--118.53597_11-05-16.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  16. carl.headley92

carl.headley92 Well-Known Member

20220930104820_1.jpg

ROUTE: HEART OF BERLIN

LOCO: S25

• Like Like x 5
  17. zonkered

zonkered Well-Known Member

An Amtrak ACS-64 about to overtake a CSX Genset NRE 3GS-21B.

Route: North Jersey Coastline freestyle2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. zonkered

zonkered Well-Known Member

Ex-GWR Castle class flying past a signal box on the Riviera line in the 50s freestyle.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. Hornbyhenry

Hornbyhenry Member

Two JAs pass at Staircase
    Route: Midland Line: Aickens - Springfield
    Loco: NZ Ja Class Screenshot (40).png

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Hornbyhenry

Hornbyhenry Member

An interurban aboard the ferry, Ramon
    Route: Sacramento Northern: Suisun Bay – San Francisco
    Loco: SN 1003 Class Interurban Screenshot (491).png

• Like Like x 3
  21. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    An LMS Stanier Class 5 (Bossman) with a steam excursion passes Dumbledore's grave on the West Highland Line Extension route.

• Like Like x 5
  22. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    An ÖBB 1044 climbs up the Three Country Corner route towards St Anton.

• Like Like x 3
  23. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Have to say I was a tad surprised that this pretty standard winning shot accrued 11 likes when all the others achieved nowhere near that amount.
    I decided to click on the "List" Hyperlink to see which of our regular folks had liked it so much.
    To my surprise the majority of the likes were from New Profiles only created last Saturday / Sunday that have 0 postings between them but all liked this shot within around 30 minutes of each other.
    Considering gexuhang2 didn't post his shot till late Friday that's pretty impressive.
    A sudden new flock of Japanese route likers methinks :o ????????
    Guess they must all live on the same farm. ;)
    (Click on "List" then click on any of the names in the pop up list to view their profile)
    NOTE:- the only 1 Like given to the winning shot announcement is from gexuhang2
    Oh what a surprise. #howlowcanyougo
    LIkes-Question.jpg
    I thought the choice of winning shot was down to the personal choice of DTG Jamie , not likes, but imagine the amount of likes weighs heavily in a "can't decide between" situation.
    Just for the record this is not a case of me throwing my dolly out of the pram for not winning myself, as I never even got a chance to offer an entry this week, #needanewjob.com.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
  25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Damn Xi Jinping and his bots lol

26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Hmm, thought we were done using likes as a basis for winning shots after the 1st time it was abused. Seems like due to the bank holiday, the most liked shot was picked to keep the contest moving.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

This came from Jamie as a reply to a post in the general discussion forum

• Like Like x 2
  28. snapnfix

snapnfix Member

I wish there was still a dislike button, because that judging policy is bad.

• Like Like x 2
  29. triznya.andras

To be fair, it was a nice shot and I sometimes note the lack of diversity of wins - or offerings.
    If Jan's project comes together it could be nice to include a reel of the best shots - or all, sorted. I really like simoselva's and Ironbladder's as well. For a moment I thought Jamie could upload a couple images, but loading times are too low anyway.

Last thought, of course I'd love to win, but I'm not sure that being featured on the loading screen for a week or two is much of a reward anyway. For me it's also about the community aspect which is here. Also, if some admin would approve my megathread from a month ago ;) we could browse past contests anyway. Or just merge the posts or something. And add a sort by likes feature (like the top pictures on Steam) and voila.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Craigie-C

To be honest it was nothing special, in fact I would say pretty poor.
    There was no effort made in creating a good shot composition, choice of angle, lighting etc etc. just a case of jump out of the cab and snap.
    I agree, simoselva & IronBladder were denied a possible win with far better shots by a case of obvious Like Farming which in my eyes is nothing more than basic cheating.
    It certainly makes me rethink is it worth contributing to this thread any more, I really enjoy spending ages planning and creating a possible winner, but as last week showed once I saw the 11 Likes for a basic snapshot that any of us could take in a second I knew there was no point in creating an offering as it would have no chance and would just be wasting my time which was in short supply.
    I just hope Jamie and the team can sort this issue ASAP and get back to "THE BEST SHOT WINS" not who's got the most mates, who's got the most profiles set up, who has the best Bot software.
    EDIT: Also note our lucky winner gexuhang2 has not responded to any of these thread postings to argue his case despite being tagged on multiple occasions?
    I wonder why??

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  31. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

I also did not compete last week for the same reason, if you are going to post a contribution on the Weekend before the comp closes there is no way you are going to gain 11+ likes in 24 hours as was the case last week.
    I have been aware that the most likes have been the decider for the last few weeks and have tried to argue the case they are not important, "it is all down to the DTG team to decide on the quality of the best shot, not the likes"
    Looks like I was in the wrong. :(
    I am also questioning whether to continue unless we get some concrete promise that these shenanigans are stopped in their tracks, and we can return to DTG Jamie choses the best shot based on quality of
    • Meeting the Theme,
    • Choice of Subject matter,
    • Route,
    • Camera Angles,
    • Lighting,
    • Mood etc
    and use the "Like" factor for what it is, as proven this week a bunch of mates voting for each other, or other questionable practices.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  32. unionpacificfan

When I saw this picture which had only 1 like and then suddenly had 11 and then it won I felt there is something very wrong.

There are a lot of much more winable pictures instead of that one.

• Like Like x 4
  33. triznya.andras

While I generally agree with your post, I can only reflect one thing - something that was told to me.
    Don't worry about the likes and the win. Do it because (if) you enjoy sharing these shots.
    I don't wholeheartedly agree with it, but it has a point. My workaround is that I don't put much effort in it, contributing only when I remember some stuff that I'd love to add.

34. Craigie-C

If I just want to share my screenshots I would post them in the alternative Classic Screenshot thread..
    The whole reason to enter on this thread is to aim to win and get your shot on the loading screen, the buzz of being in a competition in the hope you can beat your fellow competitors and be successful.

• Like Like x 1
  35. triznya.andras

Yes and no.
    Yes, because that's the point of that thread. You know I normally do that, for example.
    No, because that thread seems to be rather dry, possibly because of the forum format.
    My main point was what Pookeyhead reiterated in the GD thread - stressing less about the win, offering your best matching the theme.
    Also, I just realized that the in-game picture itself isn't durable, it just goes away. If I wanted to merrily share that I've won the contest, I'd do so on Facebook or somesuch, and then realize that people can't see but thumbnails on these forums.
    I think at one point it was shared, then it stopped...

• Like Like x 1
  36. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

Hi, I admit that I have acted in this screenshot competition by asking my friends to vote on my screenshots and I would like to apologise profusely for the unfair result of this week's screenshot competition.
    I did this very bad act because I wanted to win that week's competition so badly and it caused a lot of upset.
    The reason for this behaviour is: I thought Jamie was looking at the likes of the screenshots to decide who won, and seeing as it was already Friday and the winner would be announced next Tuesday, I asked my friends to vote on my screenshots and there was this unfair competition!
    I would also suggest that Jamie should choose the winner based on the quality of the screenshots rather than the number of likes.
    Finally, I am here to promise that I will never behave in that way again and again apologise to everyone. And I thank everyone for the criticism of my behaviour. If I do it again, I will voluntarily delete my account and never appear on the DTG forum again.

• Like Like x 3
  37. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

The reason I'm not replying soon is that I've had very little time in the first half of the year and I've also had very little time on the forum

38. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

Also, my biggest apologies to Tritznia, who should be the champion, and I don't ask for his forgiveness.

39. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

I'm not asking you all to forgive me for what I've done, I just want you to know how sorry I am for what I've done

40. Craigie-C

Have to say, fair play to you, it takes guts to publicly admit you deliberately did what you did.
    As far as I am concerned I would just like to thank you for your honesty, you have obviously learned a valuable life lesson.
    We have all done daft things in our lives it is what makes us human, as long as we learn from the errors of our ways then fair play.
    What has happened, has happened and can't be changed, time to move on. Hopefully see your contributions going forward.
    Best wishes.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  41. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

I will remember this lesson, thanks

• Like Like x 2
  42. Craigie-C

To be honest, although deliberately boosting likes for your shot it is not a generally liked or approved practice, I think most of us were more unhappy, concerned with the fact that likes were used as the major factor in who was chosen as the winner. Don't beat yourself up over it. There are a lot of much more serious things happening in the world than a bit of like boosting in a niche game screenshot competition.
    As I posted earlier, you made a wrong decision and have been mature and adult enough to apologise for it. That sits very comfortably with me and I would imagine most of us here in these forums. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  43. gexuhang2

gexuhang2 Active Member

Yes, thank you for saying that and I hope that next time I can win in a normal way and not do something like this week's screenshot competition

• Like Like x 2
  44. Craigie-C

No worries, you should be very proud of yourself, there are many out there that would just shut down their account and start again with a new profile and carry on as normal.
    It takes a lot of maturity to stand up and admit you made a mistake, credit to you.
    (Edit) How good will it feel when you achieve your first genuine win? I will never forget mine.
    Don't be afraid to ask for guidance or help along the way. Good Luck

• Like Like x 1