Canadian National Oakville Subdivision ( Benefits From Others)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, May 18, 2023.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This routes has had it's ups and downs since it's release.
    It's biggest down was the fact it had a huge amount of track (especially when seen on the map) with about a 1/3 being show track that was useless.Which was removed by DTG because it was considered over promising but under delivering.BTW there still a fair bit of show track but that not what i really want to point out now.

Now onto the real point
    I know this may be a thing on other routes but on CNOS it really stands out.Take for example the scenario "Hamilton Explorer" may just be a perfect example of this.It's all the random rolling stock that appers from other routes.
    SAND PATCH GRADE CSX(All 6 of this routes rolling stock might be seen here)
    CANE CREEK UP(Most of this routes rolling stock sometimes can appears as well)
    SHERMAN HILL UP(Many of this routes rolling stock has appeared as well)
    PENINSULA CORRIDOR UP?(It's mainly this routes hopper that you might see)
    HOLIDAY EXPRESS RL(Both the red hopper and red bulkhead flat car can appear)
    CAJON PASS SNFC(Several of this route rolling stock can show up,plus if you get the extra BNSF loco the centerbeam flatcar color parade is a sure thing offen)
    HORSESHOE CURVE NS(Well except for the trash&piggyback flatcars just about everything else might show up at some point but the gondola is pretty regular visitor)

Sure make visiting the CNOS a interesting experience each time.

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yea, I like the variety in freight cars. I also like the short distance and service lengths. However, it does feel a bit boring. Probably could do with more switching and shunting activities.

3. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Member

Is there not any passenger services that use the stations. I don't believe there would be any passenger coaches that could be used. Thanks

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

There are none due to not having the license. Dtg was working on having the caltrain mp36 run passenger services on the route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well their attempts to licence passenger service don't seem to have borne fruit yet. A real shame the full potential of this route was never fulfilled by going from Toronto Union to Niagara and given old routes now seem to be getting zero love, probably never will.

However I do still regard it as a hidden gem in the North American TSW collection, especially if you want a relatively quick scenario or run.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SHINO BAZ

Your right this route would benefit from some kind of add on perhaps a AC 4400 CN loco or some extra CN rolling stock or something this route deserves to be more then a one and done effort.But the shared rolling stock project helps + scenario planner keeps this route above the surface of the lake.

7. SHINO BAZ

I have been going between the 3 versions of this route
    TSW2020
    TSW2
    TSW3
    Just to see how the dlc that where available during each route affected it's extra potential content.Sure TSW2020 was the most limited but maybe it really still does have the biggest effect.If it weren't TSW2/3 off the rails/scenario planner modes this would have been a very meaningfull addition.But the extras just boost this already nice feature.

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Not to mention it comes with arguably the best loco in the NA catalog, and one of the best in TSW. That would be the GP9RM.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The GP9RM and the fact its still the only NA route with the freightcar substitution still on makes Oakville a nice little route to take a break from the long mainline freights of the other routes. Its a shame this is still the only Canadian Route, and only primary switching route for TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For the freight trains might as well end them in Niagara Falls NY since OSD is part of the Boston/NYC freight rail corridor to Toronto, ON. Speaking of SPG you get Cumberland, MD to Toronto, ON freight services. Cajon Pass gives OSD San Berdandino Barstow Toronto freight

11. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Yep driving OSD always make me jealous about its diversity comparing to dullness of much bigger routes (CJP, SPG, HSC etc) DTG must solve this livery/randomization/load problem for good, and blow new colourful/diverse life into all US freight routes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Considering that one of the industries in the area is Procor, a number of different freight cars from their stable would be ideal - https://www.procor.com/rail-services-main-service-centres.html

13. SHINO BAZ

You'll note CLINCHFIELD missing from my list,because i don't this it substitute in any of it's rolling stock,at least i haven't seen any yet.Now there have been several different coal hoppers if any where from clinchfield i'm not sure but if they where you think they be clinchfield liveried.But you can at least scenario planner in anything that doesn't appear either way.For example piggyback trailer cars.But it's a bummer there no option to use trash train flatcars(with trash) either way.