How Are Future Routes To Be Made Actually Chosen?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by KatiaBLR, May 17, 2023.

1. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm basically just curious as to how the routes are chosen that are created for Train Sim World, and wondered if anyone had any answers?

For example there are constant posts in the suggestion forum for some form of the ECML to be introduced (which i agree with btw, York to Pererborough would be my preference), but we're yet to have anything like that added.. whereas we are about to receive Manchester - Hadfield and Glossop, which I haven't ever seen suggested (although if it has been suggested on the odd occasion forgive me)

I'm not saying Manchester - Hadfield and Glossop shouldn't be made or anything like that.. i'm just curious as to how these decisions come about, and if the posting of routes we'd like to see in the suggestions forum are ever reviewed and considered, or if all route decisions are made in-house?

There's a handful of routes i'd love to suggest for Train Sim World (as i'm sure most of us do) but i'm interested if it's worthwhile doing so if those suggestions aren't taken into consideration from areas like the forum?

This isn't a negative question or anything, there are routes on here i would never thought to suggest that i love to drive, but i'm genuinely curious if the suggestions we make on here have any influence on what we are actually offered in terms of future route DLC?

Thank you

• Like Like x 7
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It is puzzling.

I mean Peak Forest is good but if it was suggested at some point, probably the modern iteration which includes the quarry at Hindlow, not a steam era route.

There have been scores of good suggestions over the last few years, the ECML, WCML and GEML coming up frequently to name but three.

Obviously there are issues around licencing for modern routes and whether Network Rail and the TOC's will allow the level of access needed to get decent research. But you do have to wonder what we eventually get is more freelance in nature, the route builder(s) declare this is what I'm doing and submitting for possible release... Whereas you would have though a company with a disciplined production structure would be doing what the end users actually want to see. Certainly didn't see the short Manchester to Glossop route coming or any real potential to be a crowd pleaser, compared to doing (say) Fort William to Mallaig.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Short answer: Yes, they take our suggestions as an input to decide what routes to choose.
    Long answer: They explained the route selection process in the April 2023 roadmap.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I think I remember them explaining it before that they don’t exactly pick a route from the suggestions directly, but come up with ideas (routes) then check into player suggestions on those ideas (routes)

• Like Like x 2
  5. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. ctlee#2068

ctlee#2068 Active Member

I think the real reason is technical difficulty.
    TSC routes are longer and more complete.

An employee said if research time is not counted, the production time of TSC is about 4~8 months. And it is true that there is deadline.

If a route is bad quality to begin with, it will most likely never be better.
    TSW is difficult to create route, and once released in broken state, it is also difficult to repair.
    TSC has a bunch of DLC not repaired. TSW is also impossible to repair. They are busy doing the next DLC.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bethanielister

bethanielister New Member

I am a new person. How about designing an apk mod for Train Sim World's routes? Put all the mods in the dlc folder after you navigate to the tsw folder in the epic games folder, I think?

8. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

Mods aren’t available on console though

9. bethanielister

bethanielister New Member

Oh I thought it would have?

10. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I’m wondering how the new Glossop Line fits into the LAMP process?

Licence- got that, a useful licence to have too
    Anticipation- never heard anyone ask but the reception has been okay.
    Mix- same service pattern repeated with one train
    Prominence- most people haven’t heard of it but a nice line of you are familiar with the area

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  11. OldVern

I would say about 33%…
    Licence yes but Northern Trains unlocks far more substantial routes such as Manchester to Liverpool, Manchester to Blackpool or Manchester to Crewe, the latter which could have used the 323’s.
    Anticipation only increased with confirmation it’s a budget price route, but can’t say I’m exactly rushing off to buy a Steam voucher or two to fund it.
    Mix, awful another one train route and empty principal station.
    Prominence, pretty low would have gone up a notch or two set in 1500v DC days or if it had been the Woodhead route, in the case of the latter camping out at DTG HQ waiting release day!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, we all know that DTG has pretty much nailed down the ability to make good-looking routes. But they have also persuaded us that it's OK to populate them with a single loco, in this case one they've recycled from one already produced elsewhere.

And I fear the timetable for this route will again be the main bone of contention, meaning very little en-route AI and another terminal cemetery.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

In this case, seeing just 1 train 80% of the time is OK because that is what you would see in real life. Also, I do not think that the fact that the 323 is recycled from another DLC is a problem because the price of the route is also much lower than usual. The problem is the 20% of the route that is near Manchester, where you should see lots of different rolling stock and I think it will not be the case in this DLC (nor is DTG planning to give you the option of buying it separately with another DLC).

Totally agree that there are many other routes where you would be seeing a large variety of trains in RL all along the route and you will only see one train in TSW, with no option to buy the extra stock separately. This should not happen because it feels really bad.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I suppose my answer to that would be that it seems that recently they and their partners are purposely choosing routes that feature a single train in real life - Cathcart, BCC, EG, and now Hadfield.

I guess my point is that they are producing very few completely new trains these days. I wonder if we're getting $40 worth of content with these routes. ( Yes, I know Hadfield is closer to $30, but only because it's short ).

I'm sure there are UK routes they could choose which have a variety of trains sharing the tracks.

At least give us the option of buying additional stock to populate these routes, like Acela, for instance.

15. OldVern

I've speculated previously that I've wondered whether a significant number of people who were capable of developing traction and rolling stock for the game have either left (if employed) or disassociated themselves (if working on contract basis). We know there have been several high profile departures in recent weeks (Adam, Sam) so not altogether surprised if there's attrition at the coal face too. Short routes and little new stock (not even a buffet car which is essentially a rework of the Mk1 TSO) seem to indicate something of a personnel shortfall.

Of course I could be wrong and all hands are working on a 150 mile mega route with 5 new locos/units to usher in TSW4. Hmmm...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I don't think Cathcart is the best example of a 1 train route in RL.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HowcJeZqRFs
    Still, the point remains. The problem is not when you see just 1 train where that is what you would see in real life, but the many empty tracks or seeing just 1 train where you should be seeing lots.

DTG should pay more attention to the rolling stock synergies between the routes they produce, and probably adjust their route to loco DLC ratio. We are not getting enough loco DLCs to populate the route DLCs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Guide Bridge to Piccadilly has a large range of trains seen. However as this method of selling routes is here to stay by the looks of it. The power of TSW is not being harnessed any more especially for UK offerings. Modern day multiple unit one train and that's your lot (RHTT if your lucky).

18. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is the 20% I was talking about.

19. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

When it was set it was technically a 2-train route, but realistically the 314 ran the vast, vast majority of services back when the route was set, with the 380 only running peak-time services to make way for double-unit 314 services at the same times.

20. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Are you 100% sure that is correct?. I've read that class 320, 380 and 318 could also be seen in the area.

PS: Found a video from 2014.
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-bX0r8tcw

21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Glossop - LAMP

L - Length, is it nice and short - YES
    A- Allows existing trains to be reused - YES
    M- Minimal Effort required - YES
    P- Profitable - YES (You'd assume)

• Like Like x 7
  22. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This is so true for example missing overhead wires is no longer limited to a few here or there.There are whole areas with no wires yet all the locos that come with the route are electric types.