Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Dec 12, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That means something like Canadian Pacific kicking Horse Pass known in train simulator classic as Canadian Mountain Passes Lake Louise Revelstoke 155 mi 250 km.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I believe the route that is supposed to come to SimRail is based around Minneapolis.

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Answer. Looks like Simrail might get it's own Baby Bullet locomotive assuming this covers the Northstar line in Minneapolis-St Paul area

4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Searchlight has abandoned DTG and joined simrail instead?

• Like Like x 2
  5. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

There's also an AC4400 DLC in TSC that's awesome so I don't think I'll be disappointed.:love:

• Like Like x 4
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

On their website, it says they have several products upcoming.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  7. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Wow. Now we talking. This loco on the Minneapolis route shall be so interesting to drive on.
    Long heavy trains in multiplayer.
    Searchlight Simulations is a very quality company I think. I thought their locomotive was very good but unfortunately on a simulator basis that was poor (Train simulator)
    now they get to show off on a new simulator

Dovetail has, in almost in practice, been without competition before.
    Now they really have great competition, at least in the PC market. will be interesting to see how dovetail attacks this
    Some calls this TSW killer.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. rennekton#1349

I personally don't think simrail is a tsw killer. They both are different in their own way. Simrail has advantages in mp and editor which I have zero interest in. I'm only for singleplayer so unless simrail creates a full timetable for singleplayer like they did for mp, not interested. I see them both existing together rather than one winning and one losing and going out of business.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This. They can bring out all the high end add ons they like, but until there is a decent SP mode with a save game it remains uninstalled here.

10. AidenExt

AidenExt New Member

Hi, can I ask you guys why don't you like multiplayer?

11. OldVern

I want to be able to play the game at my own pace, start a run save it and resume later, not just jump in a train any old where, drive for an hour then leave it. I don’t want to be at the mercy of griefers and gankers who want to ruin the experience for others. Bar a bit of social (or anti social…) interaction, MP IMHO adds very little to a train sim environment, though obviously I respect there are different views and some find it fulfilling.

12. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Things can improve a bit if a person is allowed to host a private server and have control over the fellow players.

MP in unlimited open mode often ends in anarchy, and the better MP experiences are under hierarchy mode where malfeasants are kicked out and their IP's banned.

SimRail's developers will probably come to the same conclusion when they refine their game over its coming editions.

13. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

MP is the best thing of Simrail by a country mile. No run is identical to the one you did before, there are always some "variations" compared to the static TSW3 timetable.

• Like Like x 3
  14. OldVern

True enough, though it should not be impossible to programme in the chance of random variables for SP. Zusi 2 managed it (not really played 3) as did many of the older text based sims. Just seems to fall into DTG’s too difficult basket.

15. denis

denis Well-Known Member

In the near future an experimental feature (for performance reasons) called Screen Space Global Illumination, which calculates the light reflections in the scene between objects, which gives the effect of filling the scene with light

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. denis

denis Well-Known Member

17. denis

denis Well-Known Member

SimRail has ~500km of line, the multiplayer gives the thing where you get to dispatch as well as drive, so no 2 trips / shifts are the same unlike overscripted TSW.

18. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The idea that a wildly varying timetable is better than the "static" TSW timetable is subjective, it would be for the best if people stopped presenting it as a factual opinion. There is no such thing.

Multiplayer, in any game of this type, can lead to anarchy. Take ETS2's TruckersMP mod, for example, and the various (somewhat) viral videos of huge queues at motorway junctions, or of trucks space launching.

All it takes is someone to go afk in the middle of the line, or as a Dispatcher and the entire thing falls apart. Unpredictability is good, until it becomes problematic.

TSW's service mode allows you to be in control, and reflects a realistic operation of a timetable. The issues found in a MP Server, whilst somewhat realistic (serious delays, and such), are rarer than people like to admit.

That's my input.

PS: SimRail is not a "TSW Killer"

• Like Like x 3
  19. rennekton#1349

I like being able to play on my own without having to worry about other people. I like completing stuff and saving rather than to abandon in half way and not coming back to it. I also don't want to be in a situation where other players are misbehaving and goofing around and ruining the experience or where I get blamed for not playing properly or delaying everyone. I want a nice relaxing run rather than having to getting stressed. Sure, mp adds unpredictability but I don't enjoy playing with other people.

• Like Like x 2
  20. denis

denis Well-Known Member

Agree. It seems that TSW3 will kill itself that is hapennig with the game for the last 6 months

• Like Like x 5
  21. Jinoss17

Have you tried the multiplayer or are you speaking by hearsay?

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

You are aware that people who have played the multiplayer in this game have not experienced anarchy as you describe it. Just because you assume it could be chaos doesn't mean it is or would be because of not so great experiences you may have had in other games with multiplayer

• Like Like x 4
  23. DazrahT

DazrahT Member

It's already dead to me

upload_2023-5-20_16-19-5.png
    upload_2023-5-20_16-19-58.png

• Like Like x 4
  24. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It just won't though.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

why do you keep making comparisons between TSW and SimRail? The only thing they have in common is that there are rails and you can drive them with a train as a simulation.... nothing more and less! play what you like I would say.

• Like Like x 2
  26. denis

denis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  27. bence950906

bence950906 Well-Known Member

The game was fully afk protected in an update a few weeks ago. And it's quite a clever system.
    Unfortunately, TSW 3 is not going in the right direction at the moment.

I bought TSW3 last September and have played 78 hours so far. I bought the simrail in January and I'm at 150 hours and on top of that I've played 68 hours of the Simrail playtest.

• Like Like x 1
  28. OldVern

I would love to play more SimRail and I have a soft spot for the forthcoming EN57 as it was in Mechanik all those years ago. But the devs strung us along during the build up to release as regards the SP game and a save function. When the full release came, suddenly downgraded to early access, we discovered the SP game was actually a few scenarios with no means of saving. Despite their promises I’ve seen no significant progress towards improving the single player experience and none of the recent patches and upgrades have addressed that aspect.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. denis

denis Well-Known Member

30. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Oh man, i can imagine your life difficulty and pain in past, hard to believe that you survived all those Mechanik years ... how did you manage play Mechanik without Save game function which you are keep crying about ? - did you just edit that mechanik route file and delete the lines of data which you already drive so you can continue from the point where you end ? :) SimRail is right now mainly MP game... so how you will manage implemente Save game function into the MP game which is based on real 24h time ? For them no point right now to do that... once they fix all bugs in the game then i can imagine that they can import MP part into the SP for timetable mode and as you know they are going to release Scenario editor so you will have tons of scenarios after that for your SP. In that point there will be reason to implement Save game function.

And for your complaint that they downgraded final version to the EA... i see that like a better option then releasing the game like a full (even 3 times) with bugs which are not fixed after 6 years. So yeah, i completely agree with devs decision to release it like a EA as they know that the game is not perfect yet and it still require some work. On the other hands during EA they already add couple of free stuff which they dont announce before and there is still more to come. And they listen community and keep adding requested stuff too (yeah again i can hear your complain about SP and Save game function there but i guess your SP and Save game function is not that much requested like other stuff).

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

Most of the runs in Mechanik were quite short and memory tells me there was later a randomiser that allowed you to define parameters. It was actually quite advanced for its time! Only time will tell if SimRail will eventually deliver a better SP experience, one which offers the same timetable options as TSW or maybe a scenario editor and the save game.

Even Run 8 realised quite quickly many users simply weren’t interested in multiplayer and have done fantastic work on improving the SP experience even down to having a dispatcher that can think dynamically.

I certainly don’t appreciate your slight hostility towards my views and again if SimRail is so perfect and the DTG games are not, why are you coming in here and trying to promote it on a competitor forum?

• Like Like x 1
  32. yliu312

yliu312 Member

suppose to be new US map reveal for simrail?

Attached Files:

33. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If Simrail has a timetable mode as TSW does, which does not involve multiplayer, which I have no interest in then I would invest in it alongside TSW. If it is only going to have a few scenarios then I am not interested, even if some UK content comes out.

I think it amusing that some of the posters, to which TSW is "dead" to them, find the need to come and tell us! Why would you visit the forums of a sim you don't use, it is like those who are never playing TSW again then have the latest route six months later.

Surely the simrail forums are the best place to chat about simrail.

• Like Like x 5
  34. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

TSW is dead to me. I still visit this and comment on this forum.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Deep down everyone - even the harshest critics - wishes DTG to do well, so that we get the best experience that there can be on TSW.

So I still drop by to see what's in the pipeline. To see if rushed and overpriced DLCs are still the norm. I still see the same issues arising again and again that made me stop buying content, so until some practices changes the game is dead to me. But I still hope that the game one day will be in a better state. That's why I (and perhaps some others in the situation) lurk here.

I appreciate browsing the forums and seeing what people are talking about, and TSW is still number 1 player base wise, so there's obviously more activity in here than anywhere else (including Simrail's forums).

The thread is in "off topic" by the way, so I think the nature of the conversation fits. It is allowed to say that TSW is dead in this thread for instance. Anyone is free to voice their opinion, without being gatekeeped.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The system used in Red Dead Online to deal with griefers works pretty well, but it would involve equipping Simrail players with guns....

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Gee it's not like this thread is in the off topic section of the forum where there are many topics in this section that have nothing to do with tsw at all. Are you gonna tell those people that they shouldn't bring up things that have nothing to do with tsw to not post on the off topic section?

37. OldVern

There’s a difference between a polite restrained discussion of a competitor product which DTG are presumably happy with and the outright hostility being shown to those who don’t think SimRail is quite the promised land, we were - erm promised. Particularity vis a vis the single player mode and saved game which has seen little if any ongoing interest from the developer.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Jinoss17

I'm not saying TSW3 is dead: honestly I don't care. I don't play it anymore personally, but everyone can obviously do whatever they want.

The thing is here that many people didn't even try Simrail and say things that are completely wrong:

1) The game is not in polish language as somebody wrote some time ago
    2) The multiplayer is not full of trolls as somebody mentioned: in more than 50 hours of gameplay in different servers I've NEVER experienced a player behaving like a troll. Furthermore you can't just sit in the train and block everyone because you get kicked and this happens if you perform other "disruptive" actions too.
    3) As I said also earlier: I'm not the one telling you to stop buying unfinished DLCs for 35€ :)

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  39. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am not telling anyone anything, nor would I.

But it speaks volumes that this seems to be a popular place to discuss a rival train sim, despite TSW seemingly being "dead" to many people (whatever that actually means)! Yet despite the fact that DTG are allowing such discussions in the first place, there is so much angst aimed towards them and TSW, and indeed some TSW users, ironic really!

• Like Like x 2
  40. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Will there ever be a console version?

41. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

Yes, there is a console version planned but at the moment PC takes priority.

42. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Thank you for answer. Polish Railways would be a nice change.

43. CowBoyWolf

Only issue is that the controls are not the same as in TSW and some can't be rebinded

44. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

The game is still technically in early access and many features are being implemented at a rapid cadence, as well as upcoming content. So we are comparing an established title with something that technically hasn't been released, yet very promising on many aspects (compared to TSW).

The single player is perhaps not what Simrail is focusing on at the moment? Some of us enjoy a dynamic multiplayer experience. For many of us it is not far off a promised land :)

With what Simrail has shown I'm sure they could make a better - and most importantly, bug free single player than TSW, but now I'm just speculating. We'll see about that in a few years.

• Like Like x 3
  45. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

In development is controller support, so in near future we will be able to use it.
    As for RailDriver or others type of control are in queue, so we have to be patient and wait :)

upload_2023-5-22_14-28-53.png

46. CowBoyWolf

Talking about keyboard here

47. OldVern

Well actually with regard to the early access thing, ISTR they dropped this in at the last minute just before release presumably after realising how incomplete the game actually was.

Maybe I’ll fire up this evening just for a try out, see how things are. Just need to remember the key commands!!

I actually have nothing against SimRail just want the freedom to jump in and drive a train and timetable of my choosing, not end up repeating the same stretch as that’s all that was available on a server, all the time wondering if I’ll come to a grinding halt and have wasted an hour of my time. IMHO sorting out SP and the save game should be getting equal if not more priority than new routes.

• Like Like x 3
  48. jörgen Näslund

I really hope not it will be consoles to Simrail.
    I thought to myself at the time and now, things were going downhill for Tsw. then we can definitely forget about editors etc I think to simrail.

Simrail is not a TSW killer. They had the consoles market which is absolutely the biggest.
    for my part, I hope this forces Dovetail to take TSW3 in the right direction. Right now, I think it's mostly going in the wrong direction.
    they've talked about editors they've talked about multiplayer but now it's just quiet

Simrail have a really bad forum. This forum is much better. I think that is why many to choose to write here. But it is strange I agree. but I think it's good for dovetail to know what we like/dislike in Simrail and what we don't like in TSW

• Like Like x 2
  49. OldVern

I see what you mean. Definitely gone downhill since I was last on there.

As regards single player, very little discussion going on.

Picked up one thread where a guy complained that a pop up message explaining why he had been kicked from the server (and this is built in the game) accused him of being retarded. The subsequent discussion (ultimately locked by the forum admin) not exactly pleasant reading nor were the chat logs between the individual and the admin. Toxic is a word that comes to mind. Even if I was keen on MP, not an atmosphere I would feel at all comfortable participating in.

• Like Like x 2
  50. jörgen Näslund

I mean technically. not what is written. I have nothing against that.
    But i miss a general forum section.

Discord maybe everyone is but i don't like discord. Its a chat forum

• Like Like x 1