What's Bothering Me Today: Union Pacific Heritage Collection

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Krazy, May 25, 2023.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Many months ago, I read through a series of posts by Blacknred81. He showed in great detail a heck of a lot of livery issues regarding the Union Pacific Heritage Collection (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...d-for-new-us-content.65251/page-3#post-610565 for the start of that list). I'm so sorry Mr. Blacknred, I saw all of that effort you put into showing us how little effort was put into liveries that literally cost real world money, and I didn't listen. I saw the pack with a measly 20% discount about two months ago, and my Union Pacific-loving self couldn't resist. I spent $12 USD on six highly flawed liveries.

Immediately I realized my mistake when I drove the heritage locomotives for the first time. Took one look at the headlights, one look at the wheels, and I'd be shocked if more than a day was spent working on these locomotives. Here's a brief rundown of this issue:

First, the wheels. Have you ever eaten a black and white cookie? Because that's what the wheels on the heritage SD70ACes look like.
    [​IMG]
    It's not the easiest thing to show in a photo, but about a third of the wheel is purely black, fully covered in a shadowy void. It's painfully obvious and stands out when I use the external camera and face it towards the train. The wheels look very unnatural, as one would assume when they're nearly half shadow-covered. Not all trains have these weird shadowy wheels however, which I'll list later on.

For the other annoying element: headlights. Oh my goodness, what are the headlights? I'm just going to show photos for this section, and below the photo I'll tell you in words if the headlights are bad (though you'll probably see that for yourself), along with if the specific locomotive being showcased has the shadowy wheels. All of these photos were taken around 09:48 at Cheyenne, 24th May with light clouds.

Union Pacific SD70ACe (Flag scheme)
    [​IMG]

Headlights: Good
    Wheels: Good

UP 1982
    [​IMG]

Headlights: Good

UP 1983
    [​IMG]
    Headlights: Bad
    Wheels: Bad

UP 1988
    [​IMG]

Headlights: Bad (VERY bad on the top)

UP 1989
    [​IMG]

UP 1995
    [​IMG]

UP 1996
    [​IMG]

So that's what's been bothering me today. I purchased the UP Heritage Collection for the colorful heritage schemes, but the locomotives are just too ugly to look at when you see the headlights. UP 1982 is the only one of the six that doesn't have the awful headlights and wheels, but referring back to Blacknred, it's still an incredibly flawed product. If you're thinking of buying the UP Heritage Collection, just... don't.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Guess what everyone? After posting this thread, I decided to load up the heritage locomotives on a route with the old TSW 2 lighting, specifically the Peninsula Corridor. I used UP 1988, which has arguably the worst headlight of the six. And surprise, surprise. It looks amazing. It's purely a TSW 3 lighting issue. This could simply be fixed if a little more time was put in to adapt the headlights to the new TSW 3 lighting.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It kind of goes to show this either got rushed thru Q&A or was never tested at all.....

• Like Like x 4
  4. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

February 21st was a dark day. I have no idea what DTG were thinking when they released three American add-ons on the same day, two of which were so obviously rushed and have yet to receive significant fixes to this day (I’ll be pleasantly shocked if they fix anything from the February 21st trio besides the Trenton timetable).

• Like Like x 3
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Worst part of the pack for me is the scenarios, dull dull and duller.

6. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Honestly it just seems like they passed this project off to a fresh intern and didn’t bother checking their work, or it was a last minute thing.

There’s legitimately a few better Creators Club versions of these liveries. Paid liveries made with professional tools should be higher quality than those made with circles and squares put together. That might be something to put onto Matt’s QA checklist for the next livery packs.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

With this pack, they were selling only liveries (no model changes, although many should have been present) and scenarios. For the price set, both factors needed to be top-notch. And it's the exact opposite. Combine that with the fact the locos can duplicate and that nobody from DTG addressed a single issue with this mess, and I think this very well might be the worst DLC out there.

• Like Like x 3