Class 76 Woodhead Blue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldVern, May 26, 2023.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Bought this in the sale and it’s a cracking addendum to the original version.

However one thing is eluding me - a key command to manage the transition lever from off to series to parallel. Checked the manual, can’t see anything. Tried “E” in case that has been assigned but no good. Either have to use the mouse on the actual lever or jiggle the direction lever on the HUD (but pushing W after forward selected does not move the lever).

Any advice appreciated, to enhance driving these fascinating locos.

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Is it not B as in the classic Woodhead Class 76? It should be, I'm pretty sure.

Good choice, Vern. Both Woodhead versions are an absolute joy to play.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2023
  3. OldVern

Have a feeling B just enables/disables advanced mode on this one.

4. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

If it is the default Class 76 that comes with Woodhead in Blue, C / Ctrl + C is the key bind for the Combination Lever.
    Taken from the manual:-
    1. Move Reverser into forward or reverse.
    2. Move the Combination Lever into Series.
    3. Release Train Brake or Loco Brake
    4. Once the brakes are released, move the power handle into notch 1.
    You will notice the Field Amps and Armature Amps increase on the gauges in front of you. Do not allow the amps to go near 1000 amps as you will overload the loco/locos.​
    5. Slowly notch up on the power handle until you reach the Full Field notch (displayed as “F.F.” on the HUD.
    6. Once at Full Field move the Combination Lever into Parallel and reduce the Power Handle into notch 1. After about 1 second, you will hear the loco go from Series to Parallel. You will also see this on the Field and Armature gauges.
    7. Slowly notch up on the Power Handle again as before, all the way into the Weak Field notches.

If you have purchased the other separate class 76 https://store.steampowered.com/app/65250/Train_Simulator_BR_Class_76__77_Loco_AddOn/
    The key bindings are different, the B key is used for the combination lever.
    Personally I don't rate this add on as compared to the original 76 that is included with the Woodhead in Blue Route.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck and enjoy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. OldVern

Great - C/Ctrl-C it is, then.

6. Hugh Janus

Hugh Janus Member

That seems a little harsh a comment when that add-on was designed for the original Woodhead route and the locomotives work exactly the same way as those supplied with it. It seems highly sensible as this all happened long before the "in Blue" route came along.

H

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't rate the Woodhead in Blue Class 76 as it is overly complicated with the various buttons to push to change the Braking from Air to Vac and from Passenger to Goods. On other models it is done with a Switch - like on a real loco.

Also the loco uses Light Flares which my system does not like very much.