Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trainsimplayer, May 26, 2023.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm not going to waste any time with this OP, I'm just wondering how many people play Cities: Skylines and - if you do - what's your city looking like?
    In a similar vein to the SimRail thread in particular, just not about trains.

I'll start: 3bdff6ca-07f3-4c41-b314-ae4b01d30f1f.png 6bef68ab-6910-4e20-85f8-506c2e386403.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

That actually looks SO good. I might get that at somepoint. When I get it I'll share the map.

• Like Like x 1
  3. R3DWolf91

R3DWolf91 Well-Known Member

My fiance bought it for herself when it first got released on console and played it only a couple of times due to the learning curve involved. When she moved in and I added her to my household in Xbox I started playing and took right to it. I used to play Sim City 4 a ton so the learning curve was non-existent. My cities always end up as grids and looking like Manhattan, haha. It's been a hot minute since I've played, but the next time I start a city I'll share some screens.

We laugh about me playing the game she bought more than she does, as she did the same thing to me with Dreamlight Valley lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

Easy trap to fall into, especially as commerce and residential zoning just goes to skyscrapers at lightning pace.

If I can miraculously bring myself to waste time on it - I use the 'Historical Building' toggle to keep buildings low-rise and allow certain lots to grow taller. The 'Highrise Ban' policy also helps.

I never played SimCity prior to Cities: Skylines - the closest game I had was Cities in Motion - but I've got enough experience under my belt now to start making detailed and vibrant cities, even with the console edition's limitations.

Yeah, it is a great game, very slowly paced so it's a good way to relax as well. A lot of things that can trip you up without you noticing, though - or some stuff that requires foresight (like the infamous Death Waves)

• Like Like x 2
  5. tft#6439

It'd give me something to do for 5 so that's always a plus!

6. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I don't have any screenshots but I've absolutely loved building it up and it gives me a nice break from the railways.

7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Been playing since I got it on Xbox one when it released, I watched some PC videos on YouTube before then aswell.

I’ve never really kept any of my older cities, there is one I have currently from the Xbox one variant and others planned, when the Remastered dlc fully backdates. I’m also in the middle of recreating my main city in remastered also.

I have a screenshot I took recently of my main city. It’s name is Europa, I have no idea how to show it on forums though (I use iPhone for forums) (just says file size too large to upload here)

Edit: think I have it working now, but it’s awaiting moderation approval, it seemed the only way I could get an image of it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. trainsimplayer

Untitled529_20230527000214_edit_281164057937826.png Untitled531_20230527004902.png

The city shown above's Metro (Top) and Bus (Bottom) networks.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

I don't get really access to the game. Last City-Sim I played was Sim City a felt hundred years ago. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

My cities are all about trains. I make them as walkable as possible with massive elevated rail networks connecting EVERYWHERE.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tft#6439

That's what mine will be like. Instead of roads I'll have train lines!

12. AtherianKing

I’m also quite looking forward to seeing what cities skylines 2 brings, and as it’s currently meant to be released this year, I imagine it won’t be long before actual game footage is released.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

What's everyones preferred mode of transportation? I always end up with metro and bus routes. Trouble is the main road gets clogged up very quickly. Traffic is a nightmare lol!

14. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

I'm no pro by any means but I do go heavy on metro stations. Also a fun thing I do that helps with congestion: underground walkways! Cims can cross a street without actually crossing the street.

• Like Like x 1
  15. trainsimplayer

Buses in suburban areas are definitely a better idea, to connect to workplaces and commerce.

Metro Lines cutting across the City's Central Area (for interchanges) and Rail Connections help. Rail is good for connecting different towns on a rural map, or the busiest area of a city - although if it has too many stops, Metro is a better option.

Cable Cars are a surprisingly good option in mountainous maps, and if two areas 'sit on top of' each other, it gets a lot of people moving, easily.

Ferries are only useful if you have a small island community or something, they don't cope very well with large passenger volumes.

Trams are really effective in 'Old Town' zones (the policy that bans non-local traffic), as they don't congest but means that people passing through the area can do so without their cars.

Taxis and Blimps are useless in all ways other than making the city look more alive. I don't think I've missed any.

For me the ranking is:
    1. Buses (for Local Traffic)
    = Metro (for Urban Traffic)
    2. Railways
    3. Trams
    4. Cable Cars (Mountain Maps)
    5. Ferries
    6. Blimps (look cool)
    7. Taxis

For Freight, although you can't set lines, Railways are by far the best option. Industrial Traffic builds up sooooo fast it's hard to keep up with, so Freight railways keep things moving.

I can't think of any others.

• Like Like x 3
  16. trainsimplayer

82c20276-cf25-457b-900c-7fe861472c83.png
    The Newer Parts of the City (Centre and Left), with their Southern flank being the 'Natural Quarter' with the beach and park. The Main Railway runs through here, as well:
    ed0242f5-a176-4717-8b9e-c7bd7fd3c942.png

• Like Like x 2
  17. AtherianKing

probably most used by passenger number is metro.

Though I try to keep metro lines locked to certain areas rather than be map wide line, I connect areas (usually quite large in size) by trains.

buses run in all areas (decision based on that whilst in real life low residential areas are bus focused, major cities such as London are no stranger to them) but are less favoured by passengers than metro. I try to keep buses not cover distances like trains do, though sometimes I find it helpful.

I tend to build my low residential quite large to the point a subway seems and turns out to be quite essential though significantly less stations than city.

trams I more use cause who doesn’t like trams. Their not very common in my cities so far (like 3 lines per map) the routes tend to be the main road or beach front of a city so get quite a use of passengers still out of them.

haven’t used much of trolley bus, but would like to somewhere. And monorails I use for specific purposes.

blimps and helicopters are also a rarity in my cities and run like monorails on specific purposes.

Cable car are like in real life, I would use them to get over a mountain to something or perhaps a river sometimes.

I think that’s all the transportation options.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Railfan1985

I tend to use buses to connect residential with commercial etc. I place metro stations per district. One in commercial, residential etc. Tried monorail but too noisy and folks just don't use it. Rail is always on outskirts of city with good bus and metro connections.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Railfan1985

How do you create underground walkways? I didnt realise you could.

20. AtherianKing

Take a path, lower it like a road tunnel and have it connect from one side of the road to the other to prevent pedestrians using crossings on busy roads.

also works the same way if you go up and over to other side of roads.

edit: spelling

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. Railfan1985

Thats a game changer for me, thanks AtherianKing

• Like Like x 1
  22. AtherianKing

upload_2023-5-28_0-37-50.jpeg

this is probably the closest image on google I can find to it in action, you just need to work them out in different places for 4 way and other type intersections.

They’re not perfect but they help.

I find them most effective at points where normal roads meet up with highway connections as all traffic entering and leaving flows through them.

• Like Like x 1
  23. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Another thing with the walkways that will help encourage cims to walk is connecting walkways to parks path nodes. If walking between point A and C has them walk through a park at point B, this increases the desire to walk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I try and aim for 15 min cities, with smaller centres usually around a station

25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Wife plays it a bit on the PS, I bought the PC version but never really did much with it (ditto Planet Coaster) even though at one point I was really into that type of game.

My missus usually ends up poisoning everyone by putting the sewage outlet upstream from the water intake!

Also I find with these games, like Transport and Railroad Tycoon of old, it is a long old slow grind to build your city (and money) up to a level where you can start splashing out on transport systems. Also quite hard to balance the economy and what real town or city has police stations, fire stations and medical centres on every corner!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Rookie mistake, put them all around the reservoir feeding the hydro plant.

• Like Like x 3
  27. AtherianKing

After engaging with this thread, I decided to have a look on cities Skylines today at my main city, I noticed 2 things.

what I believe to be my busiest station has 4000 passengers per week (only 3 lines, 2 of which go to very close areas) and my main city area completely lacked in pedestrian car traffic and even business traffic. I would have to say from that, my anti crazy traffic policies are having good effect :D

28. AtherianKing

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d add it here instead. Since remastered version got all its dlc, I have been working on 3 cities so far before the release of Cities Skylines 2 and hopefully finish whatever ones I do before that.

first up I re-done Europa City my capital city, it’s background is an Independent City State in between Belgium and The Netherlands (around 120,000 people, still under development)

old town and new city area image:

upload_2023-10-17_20-42-47.jpeg

and overview shot of Europa layout :

upload_2023-10-17_20-43-27.jpeg

next up I have been working on Del Venros City, the tropical map. Its general background is a sea front independent city state in South America

(this one still under heavy development, currently around 40,000 population)

overview of progress so far

upload_2023-10-17_20-46-10.jpeg

Scenic image of the South West city side

upload_2023-10-17_20-46-52.jpeg

lastly is my snow city of Fjordland, it’s background is a large overseas territory of Iceland with heavy other Scandinavian influences especially Norway.

Under heavy development at less than 10,000 people

upload_2023-10-17_20-48-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  29. trainsimplayer

Forgot about this thread, but may as well use it.

This is an overview of the Twin Towns of Belvile and Johnstone.
    Pretext is, simply, a European Colony (originally by the Scottish, but this city specifically has a lot of Eastern European in it)
    Population is currently c. 57,000
    590291de-b87b-414b-9aab-ce5c930b2cbc_edit_612865616663252.png

• Like Like x 5
  30. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Amazing! I do play it but my cities are too small to be worth talking about. :)

31. R3DWolf91

I uninstalled the Xbox version in anticipation for the sequel, which is now delayed (and my pre-order cancelled).

I'm gonna have to reinstall soon and see what kind of debt I can get into with public transit investments... "Yo, I heard you like trams, on subways, on trains, on monorails..." lol

• Like Like x 1
  32. saxon#1462

saxon#1462 Active Member

Is it like transport fever 2?

33. tft#6439

No, I haven't played it but it sounds like you can build towns but I think there is some railway thing in the game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. saxon#1462

saxon#1462 Active Member

Well I play transport fever 2 and have all the Brisbane Australia mods

Edit for spelling errors

• Like Like x 1
  35. AtherianKing

their is

I play on series x and I think PC players and mods would have a lot more fun on Transport fever 2 than console would so I kinda gave it a miss.

I’ve seen play throughs and a lot of the mods consist of real models (class 45,class 91 etc) whereas Xbox just wouldn’t get any of that.

If only more games had mod support on console like fallout 4/Skyrim that would be good, or even farm sim had quite a few good stuff as console mods.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  36. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

tft#6439 I highly recommend to check out this guy's video series on it. Really good YouTuber to follow for other stuff but his cities skylines series is very good.
    :)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs6cC73V4fpvm0h9L6-O2k0bPbI3IOIZk&si=57xItxmvuU9kfoxX
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs6cC73V4fpuHZAcng9joNtT6oXVlPwG-&si=wqzkMZzHZOm0qk0U

And for those interested he also has a transport fever series. Sadly no tsw or TSC videos from him tho.
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs6cC73V4fpsmTuxIBXGxytwwGHkFHUC7&si=HJYB9PD23bSpFZW5
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs6cC73V4fpt71M9GCc2h45pqwUsCj80r&si=XzfKfXENZz2ibN6E

• Like Like x 1
  37. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Cities Skylines comes with basic bus, train and metro, expansions add trams and monorails. Mods upgrade both

It's a city builder, and a city does need public transport but the transport is not the primary focus of the game

38. R3DWolf91

It is very much the spiritual successor to Sim City 4

39. AtherianKing

expansions also extend the variety of buses and metro and trains quite extensively, pretty sure they’re is about 12 bus models as an example with dlc on console.

quite the variety of different places aswell the models interpret like Japan, Norway, Germany, England/U.K., USA, Soviet Style, France etc

40. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Transport Fever 2 is about building logistic chains, it focuses more on the traffic (buses, trains, etc.)
    Cities is a city builder, focusing more on building a functioning city. While you need to manage traffic and build public transport as well, it's not as focused as TpF2 is.

That said, both are very good games.

41. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Oooh how have I only just found this thread, I mainly play vanilla+ (with all DLCs and a few mods as well as mostly vanilla style assets) so here's some screenshots of my city Lakefield it's been a while since I played it properly I think the population was at 230k+ when I last did.

Bonus I'll also add some screenshots of other cities I've attempted to do below lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus city screenshots (I can't remember the name of these ones it's been that long):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  42. saxon#1462

saxon#1462 Active Member

43. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yes you can build train networks and place trains down

44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Is it true that CS2 has massive performance issues on most platforms?

• Like Like x 1
  45. AtherianKing

I believe it’s true for PC, console release is delayed until next year

46. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. saxon#1462

saxon#1462 Active Member

what is te min RAM and is it laptop friendly

48. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Both CS1 and CS2 have the same RAM requirements on Steam - Minimum 8 GB / Recommended 16 GB.

Laptop friendly... depends on the specifications of your laptop. Compare your specs with the requirements of the game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. saxon#1462

saxon#1462 Active Member

thanks i have an asus sonia master