I've Had Enough Of This Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cityrail-rulez, Jun 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As the title states, I've had enough. I don't care if this gets me banned.

First of all, DTG refuses to provide any solid tutorials or guides on exactly to add content into the game. You created the DAMN game so [EDIT - Jan - Language] and WRITE THE GOD DAMN TUTORIALS. This includes full part naming list, route markers both pins/flags and GPS lines, rolling stock, scenery, locomotives/railcars and MORE.

Yes, I will admit that the examples are useful in their own way but there's NOT enough. Provide more examples such as route markers 'I have tried creating these and seems like NOBODY can help me' I can't complete my damn route without MARKERS, it shouldn't BE THAT FLAMING HARD TO ADD GOD DAMN ROUTE MARKERS.

Remove the Google Maps API key requirement, this service IS NOT FREE! I think Google noticed an increasing number of people signing up for a Google Maps API key due to Train Simulator customers requiring the use of it to aid in route building, so they decided to scam more money from the people who use the Google Maps API feature. [EDIT - Jan - Language] It would be great to simply use a website of the USER'S CHOICE or use Open Street Maps API key 'YES, it's FREE' it won't change either because it's OPEN SOURCE.

Ever since this game was originally known as 'Rail Simulator' right through to Railworks then TS, TS20xx and now TS Classic. WHY HAS DTG REFUSED TO CREATE ANYTHING AUSTRALIAN? YEAH, I GET IT! The British hates AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIANS because you claim we are CONVICTS 'FACE THE FACTS' this is the real reason why there's NOTHING Australian in TS.

I'm also fed up with this dreaded 'Out of memory' problem. WHY CAN'T YOU [EDIT - Jan - Language] FIX IT? You just provided a new recent update '6 June Update' and YET, NOTHING HAD BEEN FIXED! As far as I can see. This game is completely BROKEN. I could play other games without CRASHING. I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. I believe the DTG ads do CONTRIBUTE to the game crashing continuously.

I used to hate Trainz because of it's bad graphics. When I finally realised that purchasing Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 then 2022. I haven't regret it. AT LEAST THEY DON'T HATE AUSTRALIA, AT LEAST THERE'S AUSTALIAN CONTENT.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Em google maps is free to use.

no out of error memory for me and I have all sorts of 3rd party content installed such as AP,JT etc etc reshade RW enhancer all works fine for me. So the sun isn’t the problem if it was we would ALL be experiencing the same issues. The problems your getting are local to you.

Can you list your full of specifications.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I wonder how all the other content creators made their routes... You're aware of the Dev Docs http://tscdevdocs.co.uk/ , Google and Youtube?

The game is not broken, in fact it's the most stable it has ever been. It seems more like your installation might be broken.

And why has DTG not made Australian content? Ask why no one else has, especially people from Australia? Everyone can develop content for TSC. See the Taurus Mountains route, developed by a turkish team.

The fact there isn't a spanish route means DTG hates Spain? Or Russia? Or Sweden? Norway? Romania? Hungary? Croatia? India? Mexico? Egypt (I have actually traveled along the Nile in 1990 by train - it was a fascinating trip)? etc...

• Like Like x 4
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The New Zealanders seemed to have solve the problem on their own and made their own route.
    maxresdefault (2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Graeme4306

Graeme4306 New Member

Well what a dummy spit, as we say here down under. Firstly I've been playing TS for about twelve years and have totalled some 4,648 hours enjoying it and I don't have a problem with it. Sure I'm not TECHNO SAV , I'm 73 years of age, but I enjoy making my own scenarios in most of the routes and that's the way I play the game. I'm sure the English don"t hate us. And on behalf of all the other Australians that play this game I apologise for our mates moment of madness in saying that. One day someone, some where, will make an Australian route, I know that there are some in the pipeline. Hoo Roo City Rail

• Like Like x 7
  6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

In practise it is. Unless you're using industrial levels of data in your route creation the amount used will never reach a point where they'll charge you.
    The large update a few months ago improved stability for the majority of users. For example, since that update I've only had two OOM crashes, which has really improved the experience of using the game. Some people have had less good experiences, and reinstalls or file verifications can fix these.

As for the most recent update, it is for fixing the 4 camera not panning properly and some specific physics issues. There were reports that it broke some trains but having investigated it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, as usual. It also only seems to affect the DX12 version but from my testing it doesn't have as reliable performance in the most difficult situations as the DX9 versions. The update was not to improve performance.

7. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Hello there,
    You are more than welcome to voice your opinion here, this will not get you banned. And we're thankful for constructive criticism, but please try and keep a civil tone.

If you provide us with more information about the crashes you experience I'm sure we can help.
    Our support team can be reached after you create a ticket over here.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I mean it helps that they are an Australian Developer though :)

Essentially it is as far as i know - to be charged for using the Google API, I don't think even using Train Sim 24/7 for an entire month would come close to the requests needed to charge for it. (I think a lot in DTG use the same code and haven't been charged yet for it - and that would be far more than any single user can ever get :) )

Yep it's those evil koalas ;) - seriously though other countries are more down to licensing and cost, I suspect with Australia the cost to do a research trip would be huge (I mean personally spending 24 hours on a plane would put me off, and all the things that can kill you in Australia - I jest of course :) ) but most other routes aren't generally "DTG hates other countries" it's down to cost, licensing and other factors too (but of course that's just me guessing)

(To note anything in this post is personal opinion :) )

9. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

star-wars-yoda.gif

• Like Like x 4
  10. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

this is the funniest thing i have read online all day.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

More pathos than comedy.

12. Doomotron

The rest of the post seems serious but this... It has to be sarcasm, surely?

13. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

To redirect on your claims:

There is very clear guidance provided on how to create everything in TSC in our Developer Documentation at http://tscdevdocs.co.uk/ The same documentation has been used by every developer that has ever existed to create every peice of content in the game to-date. Yes, it requires some effort on your part to understand the requirements but if it was that hard to do, then we'd have no content in game other than the stuff we make ourselves. Fact is, there is more content out there that has been made by people other than ourselves than there is our own stuff.

There are plenty of examples out there. The last time I counted, which was some time in 2021, there were over 300 routes available to use as examples, not counting those on Steam Workshop. Most modders/developers know how to reverse engineer things like blueprints and often these can tell you a great deal about how to make stuff work. As I said above, there are clear steps on how to do everything in TS in our Developer Documentation at http://tscdevdocs.co.uk/

Firstly, we're not removing Google Maps API key requirement, it's intrinsic to the route editor and cannot be replaced with something else. The feature is enjoyed and useful to thousands of players.

With regard to your claim on why Google started charging is entirely false. In fact, the main reason Google did this was because there were numerous other businesses out there providing mapping technology commercially (SatNav and simlar types of tech), who were using vast amounts of Google's data without giving anything back. Factoring the entirety of our players use of Google Maps in it's entire lifetime would equate to a fraction of the total amount of data that has been exploited by other industries (search the web for the whitepaper outlining Google's Global Map data usage - use in gaming doesn't even appear in the list). Yes, use of Google Maps is not free but only after a certain point, you will be able to create over 100 routes without having to pay a single penny to Google for use of their data in TS. There are numerous developers out there who will all tell you that they have never been charged for using mapdata in TSC. However, I would highlight that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using other mapdata in TSC. The process is just a little different as you use textured quads which you overlay on the terrain. It's not as elegant or as useful as the Google Map overlay tool but it works - which is how routes were made before we added the feature in TSC.

Very simply, there are four factors which have prevented us from doing anything Australian and it has nothing to do with who you are as people, which I'm sure every other person's railways which aren't represented in TSC can also attribute to (Dutch, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian, etc).:

Licensing

We don't look at anything until we have a valid licensing agreement in place and it has been notoriously difficult to obtain licenses with the relevant operators in Australia. It takes time to obtain a license (for example with SNCF it took us nigh on three years to get them to even talk to us). Without a valid license we may be treading on toes that could land us in serious trouble and we're just not into using someone else's copyright without any permission to do so.

Scale

In simlar fashion to US, there are railways which run for hundreds of kilometers which makes it fundamentally challenging to create a route when you only have time to build something which is at most, 100 km in length. Whilst this is not true in every situation, more often than not, the most interesting routes are too long to fit within our development time budgets. We are a business and anything that takes twice as long to make does not equal twice as much revenue. That said, it isn't a big part of why we haven't made any routes in Australia but it's a factor we have to consider.

Technical Understanding

There's very little knowledge internally on Australian railways. Whilst some of this info can be sourced online and even via helpful community members, there's so much more technical understanding that is required to even do a reasonable approximation of a railway that is not always that easy to find. We've learned that to do a route somewhere we've never attempted before is extremely hard. Having clear technical data on things like how do signals work there, is not always as straightforward as you might think. Every countries' railways work differently and whilst there are some parallels we can draw from, more often than not, there's some quirk that makes it that bit more complicated.

Cost

Whilst not the ultimate answer to this but it has to be a factor given we're a business that is not just in it to pay bills. A return trip for someone to go out and do a survey on a route in Australia makes it prohibitively expensive. In fact, it makes it so expensive that it has the potential to outstrip any money we could make on a route. Yes, an option is to use a native local to do this for us but that takes a lot of effort to train someone on how to do it, quite often the cost in resource would make it cheaper just for someone here to go out and do it.

There's also the cost in producing assets such as houses, foliage, industries, etc. Australian houses are different to anything else we have in our catalogue and would have to be made from scratch. I'm sure our Australian customers would be annoyed if they saw British, German or even American houses in the suburbs in an Australian route. Just to make enough assets to make it plausible in a route would equate to about 1000 man-hours of work or roughly four months.

As I've said before, the advertisements used in the software contribute a fraction to the total memory load of the software. There are much bigger processes in the software that use way more memory overall such as the UI, the simulation engine, etc. However, an easy test, drop into offline mode in Steam and you'll see that it has no impact on the game at all - when in offline mode, all downloading of adverts is paused. What is more likely to be cause of your issues is complicated but entirely local to you. If it was a problem with the core code then every single one of the 65000+ players who play every day will be seeing the exact same issue as you. As it is, the failure rate is less than 5% across the board, compare that with the failure rate pre-April update which was 45% or higher.

I would also encourage you to read the patch notes, your claim that nothing was fixed in our most recent update is entirely untrue and there are comments from other players who have confirmed the fixes noted are present. What has not changed is your local installation, doing the same thing and expecting different results is not going to get you anywhere. You've been encouraged numerous times to contact support. Unfortunately, if you're not willing to do that, then there's little we can do to help sadly.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 18
  14. mindenjohn

You can take a horse (or Roo) to water but if it won't drink.......

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

LOL. Is this guy serious?
    Mate... other people make routes with no issues. Seems to me that you're just blaming everyone else. Ok... shut the door on your way out, there's a good chap.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

This line made me curious. Can someone elaborate?

17. Doomotron

IMG_1104.png
    Searching online for Australian houses, they don't look radically different to US and UK houses but I do see some differences - something like a blend between the two countries' designs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

The point I was trying to make was that every country has unique architecture that simply means we cannot use what we have, and that invariably leads us into having to make assets to accommodate or at least attempt to replicate the environment we're seeing in a route we're making.

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Calidore266

Thanks to you both for the responses. I think you're right, Steve, in that many sim players with their eyes for detail would spot those discrepancies immediately. I, however, wouldn't have a clue.

• Like Like x 1
  20. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

If you play the three main areas of the original sim, you may have a feel of how each country works.
    Really just the stereotypes.
    UK has lots of row houses, relatively thin designs, and brick.
    Germany has wooden frame houses, and otherwise painted brick.
    US is dominated by wooden houses (and then the Mexican stuff). All Aboard routes really have the look and feel.
    Luxury homes are of course different, those pictured above might be home on the Pacific Surfliner, Hawaii, and so on as well.
    Scenery is a similar matter, like how early US routes are completely distinct in terms of flora from European stuff. There is some overlap, but US routes were either deserts or pine / spruce areas (California), whereas UK is lush.

I overall don't believe that the man hours are such a problem, except maybe the company is used to a better ROI.
    We have routes from the "golden era" of TSC spanning 150 miles. Places like the Surfliner (or Florida) nicely modeled.
    I don't think the problem is literally that, just looking at WoW it's clear that investor expectations have gone up, they are delivering about 25% content per dollar, compared to 15 years ago, also getting rid of customer support in the process.

21. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Ozzie houses are different - this is my luxury pad 600 km from overlooking Sydney Harbour
    700-01296047en_Masterfile.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  22. Calidore266

I thought maybe Australian houses were made different by including protection against all the fauna that wants to kill you--reinforced walls, moats, land mines, like that.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

A lot of things in our culture are a blend of US and UK (usually biased more towards one than the other, but also shifting over time)

• Like Like x 1
  24. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

Surely they look like this ?
    test.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  25. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

That explains why I constantly have headaches and keep dropping things out of the skylight

• Like Like x 2
  26. ctlee#2068

ctlee#2068 Active Member

I think you are tired. Stop TS as a rest.
    I got 13 routes not long ago. I don't play much because some DLC are too old or serious bug.
    I don't know if the update caused it?
    Some trains decelerate too fast uphill. When braking, the deceleration is too slow.
    I lose the ability to feel the speed. It caused my brain to mess up, and I had to stop playing.
    It's like TSW stutter makes me dizzy and gag.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  27. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Trains will lose speed quickly going uphill - same as real life.
    Driven properly the driver can cut power and coast to the stopping point or a speed restriction.
    It all depends on the gradient.

28. mindenjohn

I have heard it's something connected to gravity or is it apples?

• Like Like x 2
  29. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I believe coconuts have also been allegedly connected to this theory.
    If they were serving Apple Juice and Coconut Milk in the First Class section of the train maybe this would have had an effect on the braking??? :D:D:D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Doomotron

This may be a health issue - please see a doctor if it's a consistent thing.
    That actually raises a philosophical argument - I have drunk apple juice in a train and also in my house, but only the train can move. Therefore, something that isn't the apple juice must be the thing that makes the train move.

31. dtg_jan

dtg_jan Community Manager Staff Member

Right, I'm going to lock this thread before it turns into too much mocking, but I'd like to thank both my colleagues and the community members for providing some insights and tips on how to ideally format suggestion threads.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.