Tsw: Coming Soon... Main-spessart Bahn!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Feb 14, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Prepare to glisten under the Spessart Sun with Train Sim World: Main-Spessart Bahn, which is coming soon in all its scenic wonder!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 7
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it release date the route looks great.

• Like Like x 3
  3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I'm still a bit disappointed... this looks like a clone of RSN.

I mean, RSN wasn't bad, and I still thoroughly enjoy the route, but... do we need two?

I still might buy it anyway. I'm not always that bothered by length, which is one of the main complaints already. It does look like a nice route, just like RSN, and I can guarantee that one day you will be able to drive an ICE on it, whether by a DLC or community add-on.

More than 1 new loco would have been nice, though!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  4. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

I am now wondering... Given the fact that in this new route the loco´s have PIS ( Passenger Information System), that display to where the next stop will be, will that also be implemented in RSN? or other routes? That is one thing that I really miss from those routes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I don't like the pricing. DTG are expecting us to pay £24.99 for a route which has a locomotive, cab car and freight wagons which we've already purchased with RSN. So DTG are expecting us to purchase them twice? DTG have already recouped their costs for developing the 185, cab car and freight cars from sales with RSN, so why are they expecting people who already own them to pay for them again?

£19.99 full price with a preorder of £16.99 would have been a more reasonable price, at least for those who already own RSN.

DTG are exploiting the fact we can't use our existing stock on other routes, so they're charging us twice. Why can't we use our exisiting stock on other routes? Because DTG have repeatedly delayed the Editor.

What a rip-off! I certainly won't be buying stock I've already paid for.

• Like Like x 22
  6. BjornGroen02NL

I think I might wait a while before buying this one. Totally agreed to you. Prices are far too high and there is almost nothing new concerning rolling stock. Yes a new loco, but the other one was already in the game. I absolutely love Germany and the railrouding in it, as I live next to Germany (The Netherlands) but 30 euros and now 24 euros on pre-order is a bit too much.

• Like Like x 5
  7. BjornGroen02NL

also, notice it is "just" 52km instead of the 62km that RSN is. anyway, I think it might be more detailed considering it is a newer DLC

8. raildan

Not sure if I'll buy it yet, but the route itself looks VERY detailed... so that's a plus. Aside from the PIS, the third picture in the article does seem to suggest that road traffic may have returned!

Yes, it's a bit expensive, but that's been true of every DLC DTG has ever made, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raildan

Also, note this bit:

"However, the route in Train Sim World is set prior to the tunnel’s construction, meaning you’ll have to do battle with the untamed, original railway, complete with banker assistance on the rear."

I'm pretty curious as to how manned helpers would work in TSW... this is looking more and more like a buy for me. Still disappointed with the rolling stock, though.

10. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

At this price, an extra locomotive would have been good.
    It looks like RSN, in every way.
    I would not buy, at least, at this price.

11. BjornGroen02NL

That was exactly my thought as well. I hope road traffic may be returned, it would be much more life-like. Imagine New York with traffic, it would not be the ghost town it is right now XD and indeed, every DLC is expensive but it also bring something new, so I kinda accept the price.

12. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Main-Spessart-Bahn just feels like a huge wasted opportunity to me. Here's why:

1- the route is not very long: at 52 km it's on par with NEC, only WSR (37 km) is shorter. End to end travel time by RB, calling at all stations, is under 45 minutes. Yet DTG charge full price for it.
    2- it does not offer significant new rolling stock. The dosto cab car might be slightly different and the 146.2 might be 'new', but in the end it is pretty much recycled rolling stock.
    3- DTG being creative, again. The promotional text says that banking locomotives are used to get up the Spessart Ramp, just like happened in the real world. However, in the real world locos of the Baureihe 151 type were used for banking services. MSB won't be getting a 151, so this means that a BR185 has to fulfill the role of banking loco.
    4- In real life, long distance trains run along the Main-Spessart-Bahn. Aschaffenburg Hbf gets an hourly ICE service to/from Munich, there are services to Vienna and even to Hamburg. Given that no DB Fernverkehr stock exists for TSW, we'll be missing out on that.
    5- And last, but definitely not least, the Hannover - Würzburg high speed railway. Not only do you cross underneath it between Langenprozelten and Gemünden, the Nantenbacher curve (to the west of Lohr) lets you get onto that HSL. Building the railway to Würzburg would have allowed DTG to introduce higher-speed German railway travel to TSW (think LZB, BR101+IC coaches, or an ICE2). How can they miss such an opportunity?

All in all, I am feeling underwhelmed by what DTG have built. As a consequence, I am once again not gonna buy this DLC until it's at least 50% off during a sale.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  13. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Wait so the destination on the train display works now but not on the passenger displays? Still looks empty to me on the second screenshot... Whats the reason for that? And seems like customers who supported you since day 1 by buying RT, GWE, New York and other older DLC's and reported every kind of bug like me will sit at the end of the bargain again and MAYBE receive an update with the working destination display for the older DLC's in the long future

• Like Like x 1
  14. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Brakeeee!.....Reverse...returning to mechanic!
    upload_2019-2-14_20-24-55.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Are those birds? In the main picture.

16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes after having another look those are birds in the picture.

17. hightower

hightower Guest

Remember DTG have form for ‘enhancing’ pre-release screenshots, so don’t count on the birds being there come release. Hopefully they will be, after all you see them in TS1, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

It looks good but yet again the route is FAR too short. Given the contained content if you already own RSN it’s unjustifiably overpriced, and no doubt it will still only contain the usual 5 ish scenarios. On that basis I can’t see me purchasing it until it’s priced much more sensibly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. deppalas

deppalas Member

That's exactly what I thought right after I've seen the article. It's a great opportunity, perfectly missed by DTG, again. It's a step forward, of course, but if you take up that much time for such little steps forwards, you might be better off with a wheelchair.

I don't know how you guys think about this whole project, but for me, it's early access with little content, huge pricing and utterly slow development. And after a promising month regarding the editor, december last year, it's still nothing but disappointment which DTG has to offer.

Of course, we as the customer have no idea how much you are really working on TSW in general, but this is your fault, too. There are some developers (not too many, tbh) that do give a LOVE about their reputation in their whole customer network, but I don't get the feeling that Dovetail does. I welcome you to prove me (us) wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  19. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It was said last night the image is photoshopped, and not an image out of the actual route in the game. So don’t expect any birds to be flying around.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Timmiej93

Timmiej93 Member

Up until I read the just released Studio Update (click), I would've agreed with you all. I noticed too that there is only 1 new train, and 2 new wagons (even some of the wagons have been re-used), and that the route is quite short. However, reading the studio update, these points stood out to me:
    • We're most likely getting moving traffic, at a realistic (-ish) density
    • The banking locomotive operations seem like they're quite detailed
    • The Aschaffenburg docks equipment is animated
    Add the already known destination displays to that, and I'd say the same I say about any route addon: Slightly too expensive. I'd put them at €25. that'd be a great price for most routes, I think. If you really like a route, you buy it full price, if you're not sure, you get it on one of the many sales. Personally, I'm very happy to see they keep raising the bar with each release, and not just keep putting out routes at the same level of detail. They just need to make sure that they keep updating the older routes, as long as it doesn't require a massive overhaul. For example, it would really suck if people who have RSN don't get the destination displays, especially since it's such an easy thing to do now.

• Like Like x 6