Route Selection Screen

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sintbert, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Hi

Route selection Screen:
    route selection.jpg

I think the new UI for the route selection screen is a big step back.

Issues introduced:
    1. It removed two spaces and reduces the route selection to only 4 visible routes instead of the 6 in the old version.
    2. It added in two links which have nothing to do with route selection.
    3. Those two new links are fully redundant since the same links are in the bottom left on "quick access"

Improvement introduced:
    1. You are now able to flip trough pages of routes instead of moving just 1 when going over the end of it.

Improvements i propose:
    1. Remove the Store and Dovetail Live links from this screen since they are fully redundant.
    2. Increase route selection carousel to 6 items/page.
    3. Use those two shortcuts (X and Y) to flip through route pages.

By the end of the year we will most likely have 12-15 routes in the carousel, so it is filling up quickly, even without 3rd party and workshop routes. This will result in 3-4 pages in the current carousel within the year.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Very good idea, but better interface would be with tiles like this:
    route selection.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sintbert

I think one bar with routes is quite enough, the rest of the screen is then used to display some info about the selected route. I would more like it if that was expanded a bit with more interesting information than the marketing blabla that it shows now.
    With to many routes on screen at once it just gets more difficult to find the one you are looking for. A way to sort the routes by name / release- / install date would be of more use.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Route information are good when you browsing the store.
    One you have it, you just click it to skipp this page.
    Sorting for displayed routers is very important notice, thanks Sintbert.
    Best option to choose their layout is as icons on desktop (drag and drop to tile spot).

5. ktr1995

ktr1995 New Member

I have another idea, what about sorting the routes after their place of origin. For example all german routes are placed in a folder, all the UK ones in another, all the US in another, and for the future if DTG releases any other routes not in the 3 countries already present, an other folder.

The "folders" can be left as they are now. I mean in place of the Ruhr SIeg nord route in the first picture is the German "folder" and so on.
    When you open it, you are treated to your sorted routes like in the second picture posted by Matto140. It is similar to the TS20xx sorting system, but looking much better and easier to navigate IMO. So it is similar, yet new.

I would like to hear how you find this idea.

6. Sintbert

Another idea would be a globe with pins where the routes are. And when you select or zoom in you see the routes marked on it and a description beside it. That way you could display dozens of routes without cluttering the screen to much and the sorting by region is also solved.
    This would then really be a train sim world :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

A simple filter such as ‘sort by country’ would be a simple solution to de-clutter the main menu, which currently looks a bit of a mess and cramped with the unnecessary advertisements everywhere.