Is It Necessary To Move The Notch Back And Forth In Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I really do like the simulator of Train Simulator 2019 but find too much to move the notch up and down to keep the speed within the speed limit all along. Is that necessary -- I don't think so. I would love to see the train running within the speed limit and might go over the speed limit but not back and forth to keep the train running especially Canadian Mountain Pass. The speed limit in one area run in 20 M.P.H. and I have to watch the train running with speed limit. I find too much for this to go back and forth to run the simulator with the speed limit. I am sorry that I complain but need something to make more prototype like real railroad run the train. I know they don't go back and forth with notch ( 0 - 1 ) to keep the train running within speed limit. is there a magic tip how to keep the train running within the speed limit even on flat not on downhill or uphill.

Thank you,

John

2. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for engineers to have to change the power "notch" that they are in to maintain speed. I remember one particular cab ride video I was watching of an Amtrak train, the engineer was constantly changing the power setting. However I do agree that often the locomotives in TS have way too much power in the lower notches or even notch 1 compared to what a real locomotive will do. Even just a light engine will hit notch 2-3 just to get going in the real world. I've talked to engineers and they said notch 1 is a very slow start. Many of the locomotives take off like a rocket in notch 1 in TS and TSW. I've complained to DTG about this but so far I've seen no improvement.

3. brummie

brummie Active Member

Another example are the Voyager scenarios on the North Wales Coast Extension. I think I spend more time with my eyes glues to the speed indicator on the HUD than I do looking ahead, a lot of the time!

4. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

That's what I don't like to keep my eyes on HUD and find this game not enjoyable unless doing something better to enjoy the simulator.