[uk Diesel] Class 40 & 55 Water Scoops

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daytona, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Dunno if you're still developing TS, but I've just learned that class 40 & 55s used to scoop water up from troughs for the heating boiler. Steam locos can do this on the Riviera 50's so the code is available.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The water Troughs existed so a Long Distance train could pick up water for the boilers en route.
    Most boiler filling for Diesels was bone at stations and they only did that until the end of Steam (1968) when the Water Troughs were removed.

So they could only be used on a route that is set before that time period of which there are not many.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Peter is quite correct, however, DTG didn't construct a Class 40 as a DLC item, so, they don't have the base model for scripting purposes to be able to implement any water pick ups, and I highly doubt they would do it for the 12 year old Kuju Deltic model which is the only one we have in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Fair enough, thanks both. I'd lost track of what class 4x's were available.

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

but not high enough quality to have the scoop ;)

I'm tempted - it would be nice to have for the library but not at that price or even for a 50% discount in the sales because I'm finding diesels undemanding to drive unless they've got manual gears or some other transmission oddity.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

The AP Class 40 does have a working water scoop as described on page 19 of the manual. This is amongst a host of other features like a by-the-book cold start, the option for all 200 Class 40s, realistic physics and sounds. It blows most other TS diesels out of the water.

If you are not familiar with AP products I can really recommend them, especially as you like manual gears. Their soundpack for the Class 101, 111, 121 not only give you the lovely exhaust rasp but also a more realistic driving experience. Worth every penny especially in the sales.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Oh wow... I didn't expect that Cat! What wonderful products they create :)

My AP wishlist amounts to ~£190 at full price so I'll have to be selective! It does include enhancements for locos I haven't got yet which are on my Steam wishlist tho. I'll definitely get the 205, the 101 enhancement & Wherry Line.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

You'll not go wrong with AP enhancements and add-ons. I use them extensively. It can become expensive to get all the necessary dependencies, but the quality of AP products is excellent - and well worth adding to TS2019, perhaps over time.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

AP content is top notch and have to say their 205 Thumper is close to my heart and was close to my location as they noisily powered up the incline out of Hastings en route to Ashford.
    < Note my avatar. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Yes, I have this locomotive pack myself, Railright created a superb model, some say it's untouchable for both its construction and the fact they scripted it to achieve all 200 different nose end fronts, radiators and boilers, solebar beams and a myriad of other wonderful things, for the BR Blue variant, the Green liveried ones with accompanying nameplates are similarly built to a fantastic standard, for the price you will never get a pack like it again, and of course they are a pleasure to drive, however, all this comes at a cost, they are very heavy on computer resources, you can't have several of them all in one location on a map, the lag and stutter is tremendous, they are nearly 400mbs EACH, so, you need to limit the number you have in any scenario, or, as static items around a Maintenance Depot, for example, just be warned.
    And you are quite correct, I had forgotten they can take on water, but, the number of routes with appropriate water troughs built in is very limited for the authentic areas of the country that they operated on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

I did ! :) you introduced me to it when I started TS a few months ago. I'd always liked the style and liveries of the older Southern EMUs with the cables hanging on the ends and I just thought that it was one of those.

:O I'm running on a (new) budget laptop, so thanks for the warning.