Train Sim World: Main - Spessart Bahn Out Now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Dmitri, Feb 21, 2019.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In tutorials, scenarios, and sessions, I have discovered that if the throttle is run down to MIN and the brake applied and then released, the throttle must be moved to the "Off" position before being applied again. I've just gotten used to lowering the throttle to OFF when I apply the brake.
    (I think that I've described this sequence correctly, but at age 74 I sometimes confuse things.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

Try lowering the throttle all the way to off, then begin to apply it again.

3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I've bought all the TSW routes period and I can't remember one that hasn't. Interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

I've forgotten to mention one of my few consistent gripes, which again pops up in this new route: in many of the tutorials, scenarios and sessions I've looked at, rain is falling, but no one on the platforms wears rain gear, carries an umbrella, or acknowledges the weather in any way -- can't this be corrected?

5. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I think it must be complicated. It would change the characters, depending on the weather applied.
    In TSxxx it was the same.

6. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's not difficult to add characters in different clothing depending on the weather. The simplest method is to run a piece of code when a passenger spawns which calls the status of the weather and then loads a passenger with an umbrella if the status of the weather is equal to rain, if it's not equal to rain then it loads a passenger without an umbrella.

DTG's biggest hurdle is performance, and contrary to what DTG claim, they are indeed limiting the PC development because of the consoles. As things stand, they want the PC and console experience to be as close to each other as possible, therefore they don't want to implement features on the PC version and not on the console version. TSW is poorly optimised and because of this it is really pushing the consoles, especially the base spec Xbox, to their limits. Even something as small as adding additional code and assets for passengers in different weather would require resource savings to be made elsewhere. This is the reason moving cars were present in CSX:HH, then went missing, but have now recently reappeared in MSB; DTG found a way to optimise the road vehicle system to be able to include it with the console release of MSB as well as the PC release. It may be that there are fewer cars are in the console version, but the feature itself will be there and is therefor consistent with the PC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Ok but is MSB coming to PS4 and Xbox with all features? Or consoles can’t run the features and codes (no launch?)

8. raildan

They acted like it might be a month or so, but as far as I know this route is still planned for Xbox and PS4 release.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Digital Draftsman

It's DTG's policy that features are consistent between the PC and Console. So yes, the console should have the moving traffic, destination boards and animated scenery. There may be fewer cars than on the PC version, but there will be moving cars on the roads in the console version.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Thanks raildan and Digital Draftsman!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

Beautiful path. Road traffic makes everything more realistic. I hope that DTG will apply traffic on the roads also for the previously published routes (in particular for RT and RSN). A negative note are the 2D trees on the mountains.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

In the manuals, it says:

CTRL + 8 Scrolls center point transparency level (off, 50/50, white)

Personally, it never worked. When I do, I come on the sight "rail edge, 8".

If anyone could confirm to me that it works?
    I'm surprised that DTG is using it in his textbooks, and that does not work.

13. LastTrainToClarksville

Hijacked again!

• Like Like x 1
  14. LastTrainToClarksville

Why do people feel compelled to hijack someone's thread rather than starting their own, which would keep the forum organized?

• Like Like x 2
  15. raildan

That other stuff is a bit off-topic, but since this is the thread about MSB's release, I feel like a question about console release is perfectly on topic.

Now, yes, they are getting a bit repetitive... but not off topic.

16. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

DTG will not implement new features to old DLC because it is not worth their time. New DLC is priority. Money is everything to them. As long as they can advertise broken features they make sales.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They are planning on bringing moving cars to previous routes, starting with LIRR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. raildan

This time Anthony is actually right, they mentioned it in the studio update. This and the diesel physics update (and very, very questionably the PIS) are all somewhat major features that DTG is putting in older routes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Digital Draftsman

When done correctly 2D trees should only exist as the highest distance LOD on a 3D tree model and it should never be apparent when the 3D tree has become a 2D tree. It looks like DTG have sacrificed the 3D trees to help free up resources for the road traffic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Cars?!
    Why cars?!

21. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

While cars in any Train Sims aren't too major, in some cases, but they still do bring the environment more lively and realistic to the road on any routes. And so far, there hasn't been any "live" roads from NEC forward. So going back to put moving cars, and other current features, in a previous route, is a start to make TSW a little better than once was from the beginning.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

These compromises,between moving cars and 2D trees,are also necessary because there are people who insist on using TSW on stone-age PCs.

• Like Like x 4
  23. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Haha:)

24. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

A 8gb ram pc is better than a ps4?

25. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Ps4 or ps4 pro? Any difference?!

26. Digital Draftsman

I don't think that's true. The minimum hardware requirements are on par with many recent AAA games.

No compromise is needed, but it's easier to use some 2D trees rather than optimise the codebase. Same goes for fewer AI trains and poorer textures on the consoles, it's easier to do that than optimise the codebase. Optimising code is the best longterm solution, otherwise each new feature introduced requires degradation of existing features.

We also know when it comes to consoles DTG have no interest in improving the codebase as they have made no provision for higher spec consoles, so TSW doesn't make optimal use of the hardware on the higher spec consoles.

The distant terrain on MSB looks like TS2019:
    [​IMG]

TS2019:
    [​IMG]

27. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

RSN (no traffic) also has 2D trees; CSX:HH/GWE (only SpeedTree) have traffic!)))

this is the right decision: 2D trees (FPS and photo reality) in the background :)

RSN (2D trees) vs CSX:HH (SpeedTree LOD)
    20180817122345_1.jpg
    20190224120804_1.jpg

and real world with 2D trees :D
    105451.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  28. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

2D trees are fine for background scenery in my opinion when there are many trees, but 3D trees need to be used close to the track side. Parts of the Main-Spessart route, such as at Wiesthal station, the scenery looks almost like MSTS due to the sparsity of trees on the hillsides.
    20190224102750_1.jpg 20190224102754_1.jpg 20190224102800_1.jpg Distant scenery definitely needs some more work to make it feel more realistic than it currently is. The distant scenery currently seems to be the only major scenery issue with Train Sim World's most recent routes though. The nearby scenery has certainly improved since routes like Rapid Transit and NEC: New York.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  29. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

I think the Ruhr Sieg Line is still the best of the German routes so far released, these are screenshots taken from last year, the trees and draw distance are superb, it appears that this latest offering seems to have been slimmed down somewhat to my eye, I wish DTG would stop tinkering.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  30. Digital Draftsman

The other issue is the poor terrain textures and low poly model on distant terrain:
    upload_2019-2-24_12-10-36.png

This is at the minimum of what I'd expect a next generation train sim to look like:
    upload_2019-2-24_12-14-32.png

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

If having 2D trees means we can have more rail traffic and moving cars, i'm ok with it.

• Like Like x 4
  32. Dirk223

Dirk223 New Member

They need to make good ai trains with lower poly count.
    In Euro Truck Simulator there are three versions for the ai. 1: Far 2: Closer and 3: Close.
    This should give a fps boost and no more fps drops when a ai train in passing.

33. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

They already do LOD just like that?

34. Digital Draftsman

Another thing I've noticed regarding the terrain in TSW is the lack of Wang tiling. For those people who don't know, Wang tiling is a method of tiling which reduces the level of repetition in a tiled texture. Wang tiling, or some other method of randomising the tiling, is almost always used for terrain texturing. Using a single repeating texture is amateurish and looks terrible, but for some reason DTG have done it in TSW.

Rail Simulator/Railworks/TS2019 has always used Wang tiling. Notice how in TS2019 that whilst there are repeating elements in the textures they are alot more random and it's less obvious where the tiles are:
    20190224175228_1.jpg

In TSW you can clearly see that the ground texture is the same single texture repeated, there are no Wang tiles being used:
    20190224174804_1.jpg

It's so obvious in fact that you can draw lines on it to show the tiles. Notice how each tile is the exact same texture:
    upload_2019-2-24_18-14-54.png

This is the texture which is repeated, the lighter patch in the upper left being especially obvious:
    upload_2019-2-24_18-29-39.png

This sort of thing is just amateurish and the sort of thing you'd expect from someone who has just started learning about game development. If this is indicative of how poorly executed the rest of the game is then it's not suprising that it runs so poorly.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  35. hightower

hightower Guest

I have to agree with these thoughts on the trees. HH is exclusively 3D trees and some some of them look crap. Other routes have a mixture of 3D & 2D trees that look good. It’s all about using the two types to give the best balance, and DTG have proved they can make it look good. Unfortunately they’re not consistent and for whatever reason we end with hillsides like Northrail1 has highlighted. There a couple in NTP that look pretty shoddy too.

The trend that seems to have surfaced in the last 2 DLCs of distant scenery (mainly hills) with a very sparse covering of randomly placed trees is sad to see. There’s no doubt DTG can (and have) done better than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  36. Digital Draftsman

I think they created the route, made it look nice with lots of trees, but then found that the average framerate was too low in certain places, perhaps after adding the road traffic. Rather than taking the time to optimise the scenic assets themselve as well as carefully removing some of them, they just rushed around deleting trees until the average frame rate was as required. This haphazard deleting of trees has left odd bald patches and unnatural looking clusters.

I think until they really optimise the codebase they're going to struggle to maintain the scenic standards whilst introducing new and more resource intensive features.

• Like Like x 2
  37. bobsr

bobsr Member

For me, that is the surprise in this route. Looking at all of the blank spaces on the distant mountain. However, except for the bareness of the mountains, this route is pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Dirk223

Dirk223 New Member

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

To be honest both new york routes really need cars on the roads. Really feels like an apocalyptic version of NY right now..

• Like Like x 6
  40. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Dmitri Now that there is a new train for Rapid Transit, what are the chances of getting the class 387 for paddington the reading.

41. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Next to nothing. The reason why?

- The overhead electric wires are just part of the scenery, and have no effect on electric trains. So electric trains wouldn’t be able to take power.
    - The route is entirely diesel operated in the game with no plans to update it.
    - Even If the wires were functional, they only go up to Airport Junction. Which is completely useless for anything as the Heathrow branch has not been modelled.

• Like Like x 9
  42. ex_railwayman

It's a fantastic idea, and it's been touched on before, however, can the konsole kiddies play the game with such huge drawer distances? We have already established that DTG have implemented poor terrain textures and low poly model on distant terrain, and that's for PC users, what hope have we for anything that really pushes the UE4 boundaries, and if it cannot be utilised on both customer versions of the game, then, DTG just won't attempt it!!!!!!

43. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Usually i dont say anything to things like that but:
    It would be very nice if Console users wouldnt be constantly called: "Console kiddies" and such stuff. Never thought that in a niche game like that the platform "hate" is so strong. In the end we all want the same thing, a good Train Simulator which supports every platform in the best way possible.

• Like Like x 8
  44. ex_railwayman

Hate???? It's comedy mate, and you don't sound like a Parent, how many children have you had to bring up from birth, playing on Consoles, Wii, and suchlike? And you're entitled to your opinion, and we are entitled to ours, don't ever forget that!!!!

45. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Well first it wasnt direcly aimed at you, you were just happen to be the last that refered to the Console users as such. I didnt wanted to offend you in anyway. Its more of a general point as i see it quite often in here.
    Second i dont know what beeing a parent has to do with that and its hard to tell if its a joke or not in a forum.

• Like Like x 1
  46. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Comedy is supposed to be funny. And rich considering you calling console players kiddies when you're acting like you're 10, and unaware that a significant adult population invests in consoles. Wonder what kind of parenting goes on in your household.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Can we keep to the topic please?

• Like Like x 8