PlayStation Running Out Of Patience

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by StarTr3k1701, Feb 23, 2019.

1. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

Well the game has been out for a few months now and honestly there isnt much to show for it other than the DLC we have been getting. Dovetail continues to put DLC content into updates increasing game size, each update comes with a fun package of bugs and glitches, bad lag and rendering and steam trains seem to be a distant dream. With no progress being publicly avaiable (probably because there is none) I'm seriously wondering if dovetail even cares at this point.

• Like Like x 7
  2. RailWorkshop

RailWorkshop Member

Yes
    I agree with you.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

We're at the point where DTG are selling people content that they already own and those same people seem to think it's a good deal. People don't seem to realise or care that opening their wallet time and time again is tacit approval for DTG to continue as they have been since the release of TSW.

• Like Like x 5
  4. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Thanks for the same route.

5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what are you talking about:
    - there are things to show like CSX heavy haul physics update or the editor.
    - there is no useless content in the base package. Bug fixing updates are overwriting files, not adding them.
    - performance have improved quite a lot and I haven't seen any new visual glitches.
    - steam trains require a lot of research which requires time so they can't release them whenever community asks.
    - some progress is available through Studio updates.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Digital Draftsman

There's no Editor and the CSX:HH physics update hasn't been released; Why does it take two years to the correct the physics issues of the base game anyway?

On consoles people have had to download files for routes that they don't own, taking up the limited storage space on consoles. That's useless content to them as they don't own the DLC, yet still have to accommodate the data.

Again, performance hasn't improved a lot. Most improvements are lazy ones, like reducing the texture quality and number of AI trains in the console version, or replacing 3D trees with 2D ones in MSB. The fundemental code of the game hasn't seen any improvements with regards to optimisation.

All previous big train sim titles like MSTS, Trainz, Rail Simulator etc, all shipped with steam locomotives, diesel locomotives and electric locomotives. TSW shipped with only diesels and two years on we haven't even seen a WIP of a steam locomotive.

Yes. Filled with exciting gems like:

'We're still working on the Editor, but it's delayed again.'

'PZB on RT is broken, but it's too much hassle for us to fix'

'CSX physics update is progressing well, it's still not finished, but it's only been broken for 2 years.'

• Like Like x 6
  7. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

2D trees?! In the new DLC? I accept it only in mountains , but the trees next the rail I don’t accept!

8. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

There are no 2D trees alongside the track, however the density of the 2D trees on the mountains is so low it look really noticeably bad.

• Like Like x 5
  9. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Why this conversation again ?!
    This game is going to be better!
    note : This the unique Train simulator in the world.
    For my part, congratulations to the developers. Can you think what you want but in my opinion this is the best game in the world and is available for a simple Console !!
    The developers have had the huge job of keeping PC performance on par with the PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

TSW is on its 9th route. DTG is a relatively small company. Train sims are a relatively low-level market. There is no way that there is going to be a great product... yet. These little added features (such as the dest. boards in the new route) will eventually add up.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Digital Draftsman

There's a mode of release on Steam called 'Early Access' for games still in development/missing features, TSW is not in early access and nor is the price tag reflective of anything other than a complete game, because of that, it will be judged as a complete game.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  12. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Yes very suspicious?!

13. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Ok but the cars are more important for DTG (and 3D not necessary trees consumes so much graphics and RAM)

14. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

I wouldnt have a problem with this game if it wasnt for the fact Ive paid over £60 for the deluxe edition and 1 DLC for a half baked game. If it was finished on release I would be fine. I would have been ok waiting an extra year if it meant the game would actually be finished and feel like a finished game. Feels like the train game version of fallout 76, half complete and using DLC to cover it up.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

I never mentioned that TSW was not a complete game. I'm just saying that it should not be expected of the same quality as some bigger games. DTG needs to work on a lot of things in the game, yes, but we need patience. If in another year or two no big progress is made, then there is an issue.

16. Digital Draftsman

Another year or two will be three or four years post release of TSW, do you really think that's an acceptable amount of development time post release for a game which is supposed to be complete?

People are praising DTG for having moving cars in MSB as though it's an amazing milestone for them to reach. Those praising DTG all seem to forget that we had moving cars in CSX:HH, so it's taken two years of development to get back to having moving cars.

We then have the new business model where by DTG create a DLC which needs a diesel locomotive to access the whole route, but instead of suppling the route with a new diesel locomotive they recycle an electric locomotive from the last German DLC. They then create a seperate locomotive DLC with the diesel locomotive required to enjoy the whole MSB route. So to use the whole MSB route you have to pay £36.98, which is almost the price of the base game itself.

Overall I don't see much progress made, their focus has been on churning out inconsistent DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  17. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

upload_2019-2-24_19-34-59.png
    Why the wheels are unfocused?

18. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The wheels are not unfocused that is motion blur which on the consoles you are not able to turn off as Matt has indicated.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Digital Draftsman

DTG use the default motion blur included with UE4 which is intended for first person shooter games, so it doesn't handle rotating objects very well and so looks quite bad on wheels.

They have other options to make it look better, for example, limiting the speed of the wheel rotation (but not the train) as above a certain speed it's not possible to perceive the speed of the wheel and with a slower rotation speed the blur wouldn't be as obvious.

Secondly they could keep the wheel mesh static but rotate the texture on the wheel, the viewer wouldn't notice that it was the texture not the wheel rotating but the game wouldn't apply the motion blur to it as it's not the mesh that's rotating. This would probably be the best option, although it wouldn't work for spoked wheels, like a steam locomotive or the Class 09.

Lastly they could create their own motion blur system altogether.

As to why DTG have just left it default and looking terrible, that's anyone's guess.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I have now done 54 RSN services. According to the trophy list I should be awarded one for 50 services. I haven’t.

Missing trophies also for class 33 and others.

I have all the dlc to date and I enjoy driving the routes (apart from RT), however as a PS4 player, it really does irk me that the trophies don’t always work. I’m putting a hold on all my future dlc purchases now until I know trophies are fixed. I’ve got mixed emotions about it but to be honest, in the case of RT for example, trophies are the only thing that would keep me driving that route

• Like Like x 1
  21. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

This is only on consoles

22. Digital Draftsman

I'm with you. It's frustrating because a lot of the things I was doing were specifically to earn a particular trophy, only to discover that the achievement doesn't unlock. It's very disheartening and DTG don't seem to care enough to even make a list of the broken trophy/achievements, let alone fix them.

• Like Like x 2
  23. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

I dont know why people bother posting about problems because Ive barely seen any DTG staff trying to reassure its players.

• Like Like x 3
  24. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Unity,Fishing Planet’s “game engine” can run the train wheels without motion blur. How about mix UE4 and Unity?

25. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

You can't just merge multiple game engines.

• Like Like x 1