PlayStation How Many Players Are/are Not Train Spotters/enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TinTin_57, Feb 25, 2019.

?
  1. A train spotter/enthusiast

31 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. NOT a trainspotter/enthusiast, I just have an interest in the game

24 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

As I am approaching 10k miles completed in TSW on PS4 I just wondered what brought everyone to the game in the first place.

For me, it's because its a simulator, I'm not a train spotter or enthusiast at all though I did a little of that when I was a kid and I did incidentally work for British Rail from 89-94 by complete coincidence. Sims are my thing though and before I switched to Mac some years back I played MS Flight Simulator on PC for many many hours.

I do now watch a lot of streams on both TSW and TS2019 and noticed a lot of the viewers are talking train jargon that loses me sometimes so it gives the impression that most are enthusiasts. What it has done though is helped me understand trains/railways a lot better.

Just interested to know really (probably DTG are too I expect)

cheers

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

For me i am a train spotter, i also like to travel the world and go on trains in the different countries. i do like the trains alot in the Nordic/Scandinavian countries. i.e. Norway, Sweden and Finland. the best train i think i loved the most was the allegro train from Helsinki to st petersburg in Russia. i go alot on heritage railways i.e. Dartmouth. Kiethley and worth valley railway(where the film the railway children was filmed) north yorkshire railway ( where the tv series heartbeat was filmed). i d love to see these brought out on TSW just like WSR. i also used to work on the railway early 1970s to early 1980s. i to watch a lot of trains on Youtube especially TWS and TS2019 stuff. i just wish i have a computer instead of a laptop now

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I voted for not a spotter (which I’m not) but since buying this game I do enjoy watching POV videos on YouTube from drivers around the UK. Just wish we’d see more of what I watch on YouTube in-game.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I was a train enthusiast from a very young age, I used to collect VHS tapes about train documentries, as well as as a few hornby train sets. Growing up I learned about these train simulators on PC and thought they were really cool, but I was a console gamer who didn't have enough money for a decent PC.

Fast forward to July of last year and I find out about this game called Train Sim World which is releasing on console and features a route I know quite well! (GWML)

It was like my prayers had been answered and I bought it immediately!

I knew some of the technical jargon already however I did some more research (PTG Rail has a great YouTube video explaining british railway signals) and when you're passionate about something it becomes easier to take in information.

It has always been my lifelong dream to become a train driver, and this game rekindled my old childhood nostalgia.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Caineth

Caineth Member

Train have always had a special place in my heart, and I have some very fond memories from my childhood, playing with my fathers 'fleischmann' train set. However, I haven't really done any train spotting or nurtured my interest in trains in recent years... at least not until now.

I must give credit to DTG for actually having an positive impact on my life and future career. I stumbled upon TSW by chance while browsing the PlayStation Store, and this past few months have really opened my eyes. Since I had lost my passion in my current career, I actually applied for a job as a train driver some time ago, and to make a long story short, I will start my education to become one next month. This is a step I wouldn't have considered at all hadn't it been for TSW, so I'm really grateful for that. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. 3440

3440 New Member

Many, many years ago (in and around 1957 when I was 11yo) I was an avid train spotter (Steam only) and over the next few years I had the Ian Allan books and loved underlining the 'spotted' trains. I was lucky as I lived in the GWR region with a Midland line nearby and on our annual holidays we travelled from Bristol Temple Meads, to Paddington, a dash on the underground to Liverpool street where we caught the Eastern Region train to Lowestoft (where we stayed with relatives and later in caravan sites). The joy of Liverpool Street was being able to 'spot' Southern Region locos too. I was the envy of all my train spotting mates for many years.

Like Caineth, I came across TSW whilst looking around for a new game to play and downloaded the Minehead line, not realising I had to have the main program to run it...…..so I raided my piggy bank and bought that too. A rarity for me as I am very tight with what I spend on games!. Not looked back since. Thank you DTG and I look forward (with hope in my heart) to be able to drive on the footplate of a nice steam loco in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i still remember the days of steam trains going past the back garden where we lived in them days in Droylesden in Manchester. i used to sit and watch them going in and out of Manchester Victoria. its the first spur off on the main line on NTP past miles platting. i would love to see the game running that line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Some great stories coming in but also as of writing this the vote is surprising as 38% are non spotters. I honestly expected that to be much lower a number. The vote is remaining open for sometime yet though so let's see how that pans out.

9. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

I did work in a DB ICE 3 in Hamburg (my main station).Compared to Real life the TSW "trains buttons" that we can touch are Only 1% than a complex german DB electric locomotive.If DTG can make a Normal DB locomotive they can make an ICE route:) .In this sim Im an trainspotter!!!!!

10. Everett

Everett New Member

I am not a trainspotter.
    For a lot of years I hoped a game like this would come to consoles (PS4 or XBox) because I'm not the kind of guy to put together a stout gaming PC. When TSW was announced for the PS4 - I put that on my birthday list (I told my wife). She came through and I have enjoyed playing. I have taken a hiatus for a while (I play some hockey on PS4) but I am getting back into TSW tonight and thought I'd begin with a browse in the forums. There is a lot to the game for me - each train drives differently - since I am not a full-blown train man, so I get a lot out of the game. It is a completely different experience than I have ever had playing a console video game and I am so glad I gave it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Somewhere inbetween. Never been into collecting numbers. Although if something out of the ordinary was to appear in my area not a 142, 158 or 150 I might go out and see it. For example theres a regular colas freight service within 1/4 mile of my house its usually a 66, but they do sometimes send a 56,60 or 70. So if Im passing the line and the train is imminent I may wait for it. Also remember being pretty awestruck with the intercity 125 as a kid.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I am somewhere in between as well.

Ever since I was a little child, I wanted to be a train driver. This dream fell apart as my eye-sight deteriorated during puberty. And even though the requirements were lowered to allow up to 2 dioptries, I still don't make it.

Thankfully, train simulation games exist and I can live my dream in this way at least. I've been a long-time user of MSTS, which has many great routes from this country (Two projects stand out above the rest - one is 1919 kilometer network and the other is 1935 kilometers). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run it well on Windows 10, so that's why I'm here in TSW :)

I'm not a dedicated trainspotter, if I see a train I'll stop and look, but that's about it. Driving is better than watching.

• Like Like x 3
  13. NekoTashi

NekoTashi Member

I consider myself not a trainspotter/enthusiast in real life anymore (perhaps because in my country I always see the same type of trains/trams lol). But when I was a kid then yes I would have considered myself as a trainspotter/enthusiast. Every time I saw a train I asked my dad to go for a ride lol. But nowadays with prices being so high and the conductor/passengers being so rude (and aggressive sometimes) then I'd prefer to avoid trains and trams as much as possible.

Virtually speaking, I love it!
    • You don't have to deal with real people.
    • You can actually drive a train.
    • And if you fall asleep, you won't die cause it ain't real lol. I sometimes play it in my bed. I always liked the sound of the engines. That's why I like driving simulators so much. It relaxes me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a trainspotter. Enthousiast... well, ... naah, I guess not really. I've always had a bit of a fascination regarding trains, as many kids do. But I don't collect train things, I'm not into scale sets, watching rail documentaries etc..., so I guess I'm not a real enthousiast.

I used to be into MSTS back in the day, before I switched over to mac's. Since than my gaming switched over to consoles. My interest in trains almost died off, untill TSW. First real trainsim available for consoles. Have to commend DTG for that, even if it's far from issue-free. As for content, it can't compare to the limitless world of MSTS in its hay-day, but it is far better than nothing at all! It really rekindled the fire for me.

Now if we could get a Belgian route someday, that would really be awesome.

15. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I'm not not what you might call a train enthusiast. My dad, I would consider a train enthusiast. However, I do have a small collection of model trains, OO Gauge, from Hornby and Bachmann. I bought TSW, because it isn't everyday that a transport simulator comes to console.