Louisville And Nashville M1 "big Emmas"

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The L&N railroad was one of the largest powerhouse railroads in the south-eastern US. One if it's most prized locomotives for freight duties were the M1 Berkshres, or as they were affectionately called by their crews, Big Emmas. They were delivered in three batches between 1942, and 1949. The first two batches of locomotives came from Baldwin, while the third batch came from Lima. Four of the forty-two locomotives (#'s 1960-1963) were built to passenger specifications. The locomotives had 69 inch boxpok drivers, Walschaerts valve gear, and a maximum boiler pressure of 265 PSI. These combined factors, among other things gave them a tractive effort of about 65,000 pounds, and a top speed of about 40 miles per hour (I could be wrong on the top speed). In revenue service, these locomotives were known to slug it out on the grades with long coal drags, particularly on the Cincinnati, and Cumberland Valley divisions, as well as on the Eastern Kentucky Line. Unfortunately, all of the locomotives were cut up by 1957, and only the tenders of 1966, and 1985 remain, however, in 2016, the Kentucky Steam Heritage Corporation who are in charge of restoring C&O Kanawha (Berkshire) #2716 to operation, had their locomotive dressed up as L&N Big Emma 1992 for a short period of time, so the legacy temporarily lived on. These locomotives would be a nice fit for Train Simulator, as it is a well respected mainline steam locomotive design which I think many can enjoy. Some additional rolling stock to come with it could be some L&N Boxcars, or passenger cars for the M1's which were assigned to passenger duties. Would you want to see the M1 in Train Simulator? I would. Let me know what you all think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

What route would this work for though?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Huh, well I guess you got me there. I'm not really sure. Perhaps a route from Cincinnati, OH to Louisville, KY or some other L&N route could be made to complement the locomotive? (I'm not too familiar with the L&N, aside from these locomotives, so there could probably be a better route made than the one I suggested)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Well if you wanted a route that was "Short and Sweet", you could suggest the line between Chattahoochee to Pensacola (Florida). That's only about 169 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aljaž Skarlovnik

Aljaž Skarlovnik Active Member

The top speed of these is driver diameter plus 10 mph. So that makes about 80 mph.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree to this more. We could also get all the Big Emma tenders that have been remade as auxiliary water tenders included in the pack as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

you got my vote as a yes on this if there is going to be water tenders also made!

• Like Like x 2
  8. steammaster4449

[​IMG]

Think ya might be missing something there mate. Like an engine.

Don't worry, there's film of some Big Emmas in that third video.

Story Time:
    Everyone knows that NKP 779 was the last steam locomotive to roll out of the Lima Locomotive Works right? Well, from what I've heard, that was completely on accident, as L&N Big Emma 1991 was supposed to be the last one. Due to some sorta mishap occurring, L&N 1991 was finished and ready to go, but 779 was missing a side rod. Well, Lima sent 1991 out and had a huge ceremony touting 1991 as their last loco and sent it over the B&O to be delivered to the L&N, whilst they searched for 779's missing rod. Turns out it was sitting on some scrap pile with some kinda fault, so they had to go and call all the laid off workers, due to Lima swapping to diesel production after 1991 and 779, BACK IN, to make a new one and install it, and get 779 out on the road and delivered. So, a few hours after 1991 rolled outta the works, out huffed 779, with no pomp or ceremony, and onto the Nickel Plate Road it went to work it's career.
    Is this story true? I have no bloody idea. Please feel free to correct me if it ain't.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Fascinating story! That must've been one awkward phone call Lima had to make.
    "Hey we know we just laid you all off for good not even a day ago, buuutt....can you come back real' quick? We have one more locomotive left over..."

• Like Like x 1
  10. steammaster4449

I'm pretty sure a 265 PSI, 69 in. drivered 2-8-4 can hit somewhere near 80mph if a 245 PSI, 69 in. drivered one can. Anyways, let's have some more photographs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the converted Big Emma tender behind 2716. When the Southern leased the 765 to finish out the 2716's 1982 schedule, it also ran with that aux tender. One can see plenty of shots of it in the Hopewell Productions' video, Wheeling In The Rat Hole. T&P 610 and CP 2839 also ran with it when they were working on the Southern.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here we see the tender of L&N 1966:
    [​IMG]
    Big Emma In Ravenna.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Here's another view of L&N 1984's tender:
    [​IMG]
    And here we have a side view comparison of some Baldwin and Lima built Big Emma's. Note the different tender trucks on the two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's have some video of L&N three chime whistles, the kinda whistles I'm thinking they wore back in the day.
    Here's an original one on Southern 4501 back in 2019.