Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Sorry this is on WRS ?!! I would pay twice!?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I feel like we need a recent version of that config file.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

The Class 08 would again be a poor choice of DLC for Train Sim World at the moment in my opinion, though not as poor a choice as the DB BR 182 was. Hopefully something better will be announced.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

I prefer totally BR 294 than a “Recycled “ Class 08!

• Like Like x 2
  5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I also agree, I was just saying it's possible. Reason I think it's possible is that wagon a page or two back. DTG works in mysterious ways sometimes. Hopefully it's the NTP freight or something else entirely.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. raildan

Well, I thought I'd leave this here. Wouldn't make much of it if it wasn't posted on the TSW subforum... obviously the next route is a US route, but the route after that could very easily be some part of the WCML, as Digital Draftsman suggested.

Any idea which sections are the right length / what other rolling stock we might see on it?

EDIT: London Euston - Milton Keynes is a bit long, but seems just about right if they want to include London again, which something tells me they might. Other segments are obviously still very possible, though. Also, the rolling stock on that part of the route might actually be TOO diverse- they'll only include 3 driving cabs, probably.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  7. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I'd go for the Trent Valley Line (Rugby to Stafford). Rollingstock could include the Pendolino as well as a Desiro for the stopping services. Freight could be provided by the Class 66 from GWE.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NorthRail1

It was stated on Discord that this isn't a teaser for an announcement for the WCML, however if they did make part of the WCML eventually I think they would probably go for a northern section such as Crewe to Preston, which hasn't been featured in TS1 before. A section like this would also mean DTG could avoid unbranded commuter trains which they would have to use on the southern section of the WCML as they have no license with LNWR. If they did make a section of the WCML it would probably come with a Virgin Trains Class 390 and the EWS or DB Cargo Class 66 from Great Western Express.

For the next American route, it will probably be a freight route in the West since the last two routes were eastern passenger routes. Due to the lack of the BNSF license outside of the USA it will most likely feature Union Pacific which they do have a license for. They might also go for a route which has the opportunity to add Amtrak diesel locos to, something which has been widely requested for TSW. The most probable routes in my opinion would be Cajon Pass or part of the Capitol Corridor route.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the next US route thread,I think it's possible we see a California route. Caltrain/Capital Corridor or the Pacific Surfliner. In either case, freight could be included. It would be cool to get an Amtrak Cabcar in TSW

• Like Like x 5
  10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

If the WCML was to feature in TSW, it definitely wouldn’t be the Southern section of the line (Euston to Milton Keynes) for various reasons.

Here’s a few I can think of:
    - Far too much A.I for TSW to cope as well as maintaining a realistic feel to it.
    - Too many TOC’s and models to include (VT Class 390, 221, LNWR Class 319, 350, Southern Class 377, London Overground Class 378/Tube) Electric freight such as the Class 86, 90 and 92 are almost certainly going to be left out.
    - Complex yards, junctions and layouts at Willesden and Wembley may prove too much for the modelling team.

Personally if they were to model the WCML for TSW, I’d imagine it’d be the quieter north side of it which doesn’t need as half as many trains or services.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im thinking its well within DTGs power to create some teaser scenarios as a lead up to the editor. Ie an all action double headed 33 railtour on the gwml or hst/66/45/101 on the wsr. Maybe 1.99 each if you have the dlcs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I have managed to get a recent version of that CSXHeavyHaul_Gather.ini config file and there are no changes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

14. raildan

Now THAT would be unexpected! I really don't expect to see this for a while, but if this whole Taurus fiasco says anything about how they develop locos it's that they plan way ahead of time, so maybe we will end up seeing this whenever we get steam locos. Who knows?

• Like Like x 3
  15. NorthRail1

A new depot has been added on steamDB - DLC 12. I would presume that this is the next US route. At the moment it is shown as an 'Unused' depot so it won't be released too soon it seems.

• Like Like x 5
  16. raildan

Random idea- what if the loco DLC follows a US-UK-DE pattern, too? Next would be a surprise US loco (most realistic for DTG I can think of would be an M3 for LIRR), followed by a UK loco (NTP freight), followed by another German loco (BR 294), and so on. It's possible, and so far it holds up, but there hasn't been any hints of any US locomotive so far that would come next- that's where the "baseless" comes in, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  17. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

It could be. Indeed, the United Kingdom, the United States and Germany have three routes each with branches that can not be used. So it could be that now DTG enriches these paths with new locomotives, and it is also decided to release the editor.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I’m really hyped for the next US route. I’m hoping for a mix of Amtrak and freight.

• Like Like x 7
  19. NorthRail1

I doubt there will be another American loco dlc soon as DTG said that it is difficult to gather information on Long Island Rail Road locos and the other routes don't have much loco potential.

Hopefully the next US route will be a mix of passenger and freight, but something that isn't CSX since that has been used twice in TSW already.

• Like Like x 6
  20. raildan

Yeah, that's the trick. While it is generally hard to get info for LIRR equipment, I think the M3's would be relatively doable. First, they're older- way outdating the LIRR's current closed-off policy. Second, they're not unique to the LIRR- Metro-North has them too. Also, overall they fit very nicely with the last 2 loco DLC, substituting any and all available services on the route (other locos for LIRR have either limited use on the current route or licensing problems).

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect it.

21. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

We need a French route like SNCF - Paris to Marseille with a LGV.
    We don’t need a new USA-GE-UK round!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  22. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

And not the East Coast. I'm sick and tired of the east coast and NEW YORK. It'd be like making every UK route based only in London and maybe edging out towards Dover, completely ignoring anything north of Birmingham.

• Like Like x 6
  23. raildan

YES! THIS.

Anyway... yeah, I hope they don't go with a horseshoe curve route either, as it's basically a repeat of Sand Patch (one cool curve isn't enough to separate it), although I'd probably still buy it...

• Like Like x 1
  24. Anthony Pecoraro

HSC has Amtrak service. :) I would love this route!

• Like Like x 1
  25. raildan

Well... so does Sand Patch, it just isn't modeled.

I definitely wouldn't complain if we ended up with this, but I would like to see a different state at minimum eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind us getting a non-mountain pass at some point. The triple-tracked UP line across Nebraska sees over a hundred trains a day, is fairly interesting from an operations view (although I'll admit the scenery is "meh"), and is an almost trademark of North American railroading.

We've seen Marias Pass, Raton Pass, Cajon Pass, Sandpatch, Horseshoe Curve, Donner Pass, Feather River, Sherman Hill, Soldier Summit, and Steven's Pass. While I wouldn't mind seeing a UE4 version of a few of these, I'm hoping for something different. Some of my favorite routes in TS2019 have been The Racetrack in Chicago and the Surfliner in California, as well as the Penn Coal route. Routes that have their own charm that don't rely on a mountain pass to add excitement.

I recall seeing a poll a while back regarding US routes, and I think the Surfliner was on it, as well as Kansas City to Topeka. That would be a fun route.

Edit: I set up a list of routes based on region in TS2019 and TSW. Routes that are more fictional (i.e. Fort Kent) have been removed.

Los Angeles
    1. Surfliner
    2. Cajon Pass
    Bay Area
    1. San Francisco - San Jose
    2. San Francisco - Gilroy
    3. Sacramento Northern
    4. Donner Pass
    5. Feather River
    Northeast
    1. North Jersey Coast
    2. North Jersey Coast Add-on
    3. NEC: NY - Philly
    4. NEC: NYNH
    5. Horseshoe Curve
    6. B&O Kingwood
    7. VNHRR Springfield
    8. Portland Terminal
    9. Penn Coal
    10. Upcoming Hudson Line
    11. CSX: HH
    12. LIRR
    13. NEC: NY (TSW)
    Midwest
    1. Ohio Steel
    2. Chicago - Aurora
    3. Bessemer & Lake Erie
    Rocky Mountains
    1. Marias Pass
    2. Raton Pass
    3. Sherman Hill
    4. Soldier Summit
    5. Soldier Summit Add-on
    6. Clear Creek
    7. Canadian Mountain Passes
    8. 1869 Cheyenne
    Northwest
    1. Alaska Railroad
    2. Stevens Pass
    Southeast (Florida)
    1. Miami - Palm Beach

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  27. raildan

I remember that poll too- I have a screenshot of the options, and I was planning on doing a whole thread on it, a mix of an opinion poll thingy, a speculation thing, and a route suggestion thread. Might still do that eventually. Can't do it right now.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Also, since I'm totting up scores (following on from my previous edit above), routes by era.

1800's
    1. Cheyenne 1869

1920's
    1. Sacramento Northern
    2. Bessemer & Lake Erie
    3. Clear Creek Narrow Gauge
    1950's
    1. Horseshoe Curve
    2. VNHRR Springfield
    1960's
    1. B&O Kingwood
    1970's
    1. Feather River
    2. Portland Terminal
    3. Soldier Summit
    4. Soldier Summit Add-on
    1990's
    1. Donner Pass
    2. Raton Pass
    Modern (2007 (launch of RailSimulator) - Present)
    1. Cajon Pass
    2. Surfliner
    3. San Francisco - San Jose
    4. San Francisco - Gilroy
    5. North Jersey Coast
    6. North Jersey Coast Add-on
    7. NEC: NY - Philly
    8. NEC: NYNH
    9. Penn Coal
    10. Ohio Steel
    11. Chicago-Aurora
    12. Marias Pass
    13. Canadian Mountain Passes
    14. Sherman Hill
    15. Alaska Railroad
    16. Stevens Pass
    17. Miami-Palm Beach
    18. CSX: HH
    19. LIRR
    20. NEC: NY (TSW)

This isn't to say I'm sick of the modern era; I just figured I'd type this up as a kind of marker.

• Like Like x 4
  29. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I grabbed the data from https://www.railserve.com/stats_records/state_railroad_statistics_by_mileage.html, where it shows miles of track by state. Using the US Census regions (Northeast, South, Midwest, West) (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Regions_and_Division_of_the_United_States.svg), the miles are as follows:

Northeast: 19,171 miles of track, 13.83% of the total
    South: 43,326 miles of track, 31.25% of the total
    Midwest: 49,289 miles of track, 35.56% of the total
    West: 26,837 miles of track, 19.36% of the total

Which means that the most populous (by miles of track) regions in the US are also the most under-represented (3 for Midwest, 1 for South).

30. Typhomat

Interesting data, although one of the things to remember is that outside of Chicago, there are not many rail systems that are unique or provide a variety that Northeast, Florida, or Western routes tend to provide. Beyond the MWRRI, which is based mainly out of Chicago, there is not a lot in terms of passenger services, mainly freight that travels long distances. The routes that could be built here would be somewhat mundane in a sense. Not trying to put down midwest rail services here, but trying to be realistic - remember they need to sell something people want to buy...

When we talk about regional rail services, MTA stands out because it's widely known. METRA is somewhat known, but beyond that, not many rail systems are vast enough to be well known. It's why DTG sticks to more well-known or unique American routes. Now someone might say why HH's route? And that's because it was a test for the engine, and a route that they probably had some info on, in combination with licensing deals.

I personally think many users want to replicate modern rail systems, especially younger users. The last two UK routes were replica routes, but I think there is a draw that modern routes bring - like look, I can see this in real life, as well as in TSW. I expect that we will get a western US route, with a semi-modern (1970+) rail system next. Could be totally wrong, but I expect this will be the case. My second guess for location is Florida, potentially a Brightline/FEC route but I feel this is not a route that has variety. Beyond RT, every TSW route has included 2 or more locos/trains, usually one freight and passenger.

Now below my observations. We know that multi-level passenger trains are doable for TSW - so Superliners, Surfliners, and Bi-Levels are possible. Personally I think seeing a Superliner or Surfliner would be really cool in TSW. Superliner might be more of a winning choice as once it's made, it can and probably will find it's home on several TSW routes both past and future. Every route that Superliners, Surfliners, and Bi-Levels run on both on the East Coast and West Coast are shared with freight too. We also know they have a deal with Amtrak, CSX, and probably Union Pacific. Most likely the freight will be Union Pacific if it's West Coast, CSX on the East Coast. Could be a curve ball and we see some NJ Transit content, but I doubt that.

Exciting times to see what the new route will be, and the Hudson River Line for TS2019 helps make me think we won't see another East Coast TSW route.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I agree, while a lot of the Midwest can be flat and samey (I live in Illinois, not Chicago), there's several routes that have fairly interesting features and nuances. Outside of the cities like Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis, or Kansas City, there's routes that traverse rolling hills and small rivers; think of the Penn Coal route for TS2019, or the constant action at junctions like Rochelle. There's also hundreds of little shortlines out here, each with their own unique character (not a full route DLC, but something like a $10-$20 route). And in the South, there's places like the Rathole or Saluda that haven't been touched, or the Gulf Coast lines in Alabama and Louisiana.

Just want to point out, in this area (Midwest), Metra is extremely well known, and knowledge of the MTA is almost non-existent. I also think a location like Chicago might be a good spot; while there isn't much to see scenery-wise, the presence of all 7 Class I's and a handful of short lines can allow DTG to push out almost any type of loco DLC that they want, and still have it be correct for the route.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Brightline/FEC route. That would have a fair amount of variety. Does DTG have a license with Virgin trains, who now own Brightline?

I also have to wonder what sort of Amtrak diesel DTG would first make; Amtrak has just ordered 75 SC-44 Chargers to start replacing the P42DC's, which are reaching their 25th year of operation. And if they did a Brightline route, they'd pretty much have a full Charger (except with a nosecone) to not have to remodel.

32. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

NEC_Male_TC
    Because it looks like you don't believe what I wrote, here are some quotes from DominusEdwardius , who can probably be considered an authority on that topic:

"Dominus Edwardius12/22/2018
    steam is impossible at the moment, unless you want to go to pointless levels of fakery and bodging"

"DominusEdwardius 02/14/2019
    steam engines just aren't possible at the moment
    well, outside of the worlds worst and most cumbersome bodge
    i suppose, you could in theory dress a diesel up at one, but at that point
    its not a steamer is a diesel wearing a steamer"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

How come, exactly? I figured UE4 is robust enough to allow for the thermodynamic calculations involved for a steam locomotive. I've been setting up an Excel calculator in my spare time to try to simulate the heat flow from a fuel to the firebox walls, to the water sheath surrounding it (and the flues), based on physical dimensions and thicknesses of the steel in the firebox. Basically, if you can simulate all of that in Excel, wouldn't UE4 be capable of that too?

• Like Like x 2
  34. Typhomat

Although I get what you are saying, especially with what locals know of regional rail compared to people all over the world, I think it's safe to say that the New York City Mass Transit operations (at least that it's complex and extensive) it's known far beyond the realms of NYC. Given MTA runs most of it, I would say that in some respect people are aware of it, even though they might not know who controls it. It's similar to how people who have never been to the UK know about the tube. They are pop-culture icons in their own sense. And yeah, if we see anything from the Midwest in TSW, my first guess is it will be Chicago based.

Sorry for quoting you twice, I agree the calculations aren't super complex, although slightly more intensive than diesel, electric, and diesel-electric locos. Smoke is another big thing too - properly simulating that has been a concern of the community. The larger issue is that people are going to nit-pick the end result if it's not right, and I don't think they are going to invest a lot into something that people might not buy because they think it has issues. I have a feeling they might be waiting for 3rd parties (i.e. Smokebox?) to develop models that are more robust then what can be produced in-house.

35. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

No worries!

After seeing what other developers have done in UE4, I don't think it's that far of a stretch to get the smoke to look right. While a third-party developer could purchase this code and use it in their projects, I think DTG might have to come up with their own code, from a legality standpoint. It depends on what the original smoke developer had in mind. But I agree, gone are the days where smoke billowing in a logarithmic arc out of the loco at a constant rate is considered accurate. Now, if it doesn't simmer at a station or smoke profusely after adding too much fuel, it'll look off. I'd totally love to see the stack-talk that UE4 might be capable of.

36. raildan

I think steam is definitely possible in TSW (and my goodness it would look amazing), but I don't think DTG has the development resources to do it right. I think it would be a third-party-only kind of thing.

• Like Like x 6
  37. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I would love to see the M3 lirr Locomotive on TSW someday in the future

• Like Like x 3
  38. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

My main concern for steam would be the motion blur on the wheels - on diesels, it's bad enough, but who knows what all the linkage and spokes would like like at 60 mph. Has anybody tried taking the WSR 09 down a hill at full throttle? If so, it'd be interesting to see that that looks like, as it's the closest we'll get at the moment.

39. raildan

Might be better to couple it to a class 47 and drive the much faster 47- I think there's a scenario where you might be able to do that.

40. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any inside hints of next US route?

• Like Like x 2
  41. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Not much. We know some ideas they had in their mind from the poll they did a while back. My bet would be a route that has equal passenger and freight potential. So maybe something on the west coast. Also possibly an NJT route if they want to stay in New York.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

Something out west would be nice!

• Like Like x 2
  43. raildan

I kinda doubt any of those options would be able to be developed that quickly. We might see the winners of the poll on the next DLC cycle, but this seems too early- there's just too much work to do.

• Like Like x 2
  44. kalteVollmilch

I know that's probably not the best solution, but pressing CTRL + F2 turns motion blur off.
    Now enjoy the fast spinning wheels the way they are supposed to look like

• Like Like x 1
  45. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I agree. There's a lot of prep work that goes into these, from finding employee timetables, to modeling locos, to finding out train frequencies, etc. I'd assume that the devs are hard at work making the models for the next round of route DLC's. That way, all the route builders will have to do is just drop in assets and follow Google Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  46. raildan

Just for fun... I actually did this to see what would happen (I used the "finishing up" scenario). It doesn't look... too bad, but... here, judge for yourself:

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  47. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look awful, but it's certainly far from perfect. I guess Unreal just doesn't like spinning objects - a bit of a shame, since I enjoy playing with motion blur on.

• Like Like x 4
  48. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I think my issue with the motion blur (I always turn off first thing) is that it's a little too easy to start, and it's a little too blurry? I don't know how to phrase it, but the motion blur feels unnatural. If the motion blur were about half as "strong" or whatever, it would feel way more natural.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

I get what you said and i completely agree.

• Like Like x 2
  50. kalteVollmilch

aaaand there's another Depot on SteamDB.
    There are now Depots 11-13, which are encrypted and Depot 14, currently unused.
    Considering that one of the Depots will be the BR182, there are 3 left to speculate about.
    I could imagine 2 (either one encrypted and the unused one or both encrypted) being for new routes, and the third Depot being for rolling stock. Maybe the NTP freight?

• Helpful Helpful x 2