Best Anti-aliasing Setting For Running At 4k

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by volvolover1972, Jan 18, 2018.

1. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Hello, I run my Train Simulator 2018 at 4K and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for anti-aliasing and the other graphical settings for that matter for getting the best performance. Now before people say I'm crazy for running TS at 4K, I get a constant 30+ fps on all routes and usually 60 fps when not in scenery dense areas. I'm just wondering if it's worth my performance to enable MSAA or SSAA in my settings since I'm running at 4K. I already have FXAA only enabled. I also once heard that you get better fps when enabling MSAA, whether or not that's true or not I don't know. Any suggestions for my graphics settings would be greatly appreciated especially from anyone else who runs the game at 4k. Thanks in advance.

2. Rason Jankin

Rason Jankin Member

I am also running on 4k and find the best balance is FXAA+8xMSAA with everything else turned on and maxed out. I am guessing this will be dependent upon hardware. I am getting no lower than a solid and consistent 40fps with these settings on even the most demanding areas of highly detailed routes. I am usually at 60fps anywhere. These settings are a relief enough from running maxed out at 1080p with just enough to cover any "jaggies" that might show up with the higher resolution. This is of course still within this 32bit environment. In TSW, everything maxed out is 60fps no matter what anywhere you go with the same hardware.

3. Edelplastic

Edelplastic New Member

Best Settings in 4K = Disable Anti-Aliasing. You not need that at this high resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Madwolf

Madwolf New Member

Not sure I'm following the logic here. Anti-Aliasing smooths out the edges of objects that occur due to the way they're rendered. It has nothing to do with resolution.

5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, the best way to do anti aliasing does have to do with resolution (so technically, you are wrong). SSAA increases the resolution, then shrinks it down to normal size, which is the purest way to reduce jaggedness. All other anti aliasing setups are approximations of that which are not as good, but don't suck up GPU by rendering an 8k image when you only have a 4K screen.

Better resolution does mean smoother edges-otherwise 4K would not be such a big deal.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

Yup ........ 4 times more pixels available to display the same image, compared to 1080p. Everything is going to look smoother, with less aliasing.

7. 2cme

2cme New Member

It's really worth running it at 4k, it really does come close to Train Sim World at that resolution. especially a few feet back running on a large screen. It looks epic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Hi Guys - THis is my first post here. I am a die hard fan of Train Sim games. However, following is my concern:

My friend running on the below rig gets smooth graphics and is really nice to the eyes

Pc specs
    i3 7th generation 7100k
    16GB ddr4 RAM
    Zotac Nvidia Gtx 1050TI 4G OC Edition
    Windows 10 64bit
    1TB HDD

my rig has following

Ryzen 1600 3.4Ghz on gaming mode
    Asus ROG Strix RX 570 4GB OC edition
    8GB RAM DDR 4
    1TB WD
    240GB SSD (This is where the game lies)

However, I am not sure what setting he is running the game on that looks extremely superior compared to mine on Indian routes. My rig looks superior to his. But why's it im getting somewhere between 40-60FPS? How can I get the FPS somewhere beyond 100FPS? Im sure his rig is givng him superior performance on this game compared to mine? is it like the game is optimized to run smooth and nice with Nvidia and Intel combi? mine is both AMD combi CPU & GPU. What is it that I should change in the settings of the game and radeon settings to maximise gaming experience?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Hi Fireblade,

Your friends CPU whilst on paper is less powerful than your Ryzen 1600 due to having more cores the i3 7100k has slightly superior single core performance it will be better at running the game. In more modern titles your CPU will have the advantage however.

The same is kind of the same with his GTX 1050Ti which has better Direct X 9 performance based on some of the CSGO benchmarks I've been able to find comparing the two. This means whilst your GPU is better in modern games which use a more modern version of Direct X his may be superior in older titles.

Your friend also has the advantage of having more RAM so this will also help him to achieve a more stable and possibly higher frame rate as your system could be memory bottlenecked.

Ryzen CPU's benefit from having high memory clock speeds so I'd recommend you check what speed your memory is running at as having it below 2900mhz will negatively impact performance.

Depending on your monitor you may not see the difference if you go beyond 60-75FPS so lowering the settings to increase FPS is probably not going to result in any visible change.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Hello Daniel - Many thanks for quick revert. In that case, what do you suggest for me to do now? I did this build myself last month and feeling horrible to see Train Sim running at a mere 40-50 fps on my rig :(

Please help me resolve this bottleneck situation. My RAM is 8GB 2400mhz single channel. Should I go for another 8gb stick and make it dual channel which will help? If I buy another stick 8GB clocking 3k MHZ will it have any adverse effect because the current one has 2400mhz. I am now not in a position to go in for an exchange on ram or GPU because looking at FPS im getting on other games such as Rainbow Six that runs at 110-120 FPS at high settings, I am not ready to shell out more money. Oh yeah, about my montor, it is Asus VP228H

What would you suggest I do now to get max FPS and reduced stutters?

11. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi,

Why exactly do you want more than 60fps do you have a 144hz monitor?

What ingame settings and resolution are you playing at?

Single channel and slow speeds will limit your CPU performance a tad so worth looking at benchmarks to see how much improvement you'd get. Your RX 570 is a low-mid range GPU so you shouldn't expect too much from it.

12. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Hi Daniel - reason is because graphics look outdated despite having a decent rig. So I was thinking if it’s the rig or the settings that has gone wrong whilst my friends rig is giving out decent playing experience.

Will 3000mhz 8gb ram stick plugged along 2400mhz 8gb ram cause any issues with performance? Or should I just go with another 2400mhz 8gb stick to make the current rig dual channel? Will it give any boost to the graphics?

I’m a bit noob here. I don’t have a 144hz monitor setup for sure. Also I built this rig on my own last month only for train sim game and benchmark scores are pretty good for my setup.

13. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi,

If your monitor is only 60hz then you'll see no benefit going above 60fps. RAM runs at one speed so both sticks would need to run at the same speed rather than 2 separate ones. Train Simulator is over 10 years old so graphics will have their limits. To look as good as possible you'd need to increase the setting to their highest and run at a higher resolution and downsample this to suit your display. Sadly your RX 570 won't be able to run the game at 4K and maintain the kind of frame rate you wish to achieve however so you'll need to take this into consideration as your choice is either maximum quality or maximum performance.

14. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Thanks mate. Really appreciate it. But not greedy to run it at 4K resolution. Just that I was surprised to see i3 churning out more graphics than I am getting on 1600. They say TS is more dependent on CPU and not GPU?! Is it true? But I see game utilising 13% of CPU and 60-100% of GPU. I find it more intriguing. Also I’ll extract a screenshot of settings once i get home from work

15. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi,
    Due to the age of the game, it will rely heavily on single core performance which the i3 is slightly better for as it has a higher frequency and slightly superior IPC. That means older games such as Train Simulator will run slightly better on the i3 which has superior IPC.

16. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

As Daniel said, Train Simulator 2019 is much more dependent on the CPU.
    Also, TS19 as with previous versions, can use multiple cores but only upto 2. So with a Quad-Core (or more), Windows can use the other ones.

How higher you set your graphics, how less FPS you have in the game, as it must render more.
    Remember indeed that the TS Core is much older then most games you play today, so the graphics only look as good as the asset builder made them and the route builder used them.
    Which means the many older assets can look very pixelated as they were made way back around 2009.

Most games today have a limited play area, which is completely loaded during the 'loading screen'.
    TS19 however loads in tiles with a maximum of 9 (the one you are in and the 8 around that one).
    While you drive, more tiles are loaded, which means that the game FPS can drop, temporarily, while the game loads all the used assets on that tile into memory.
    This inludes any AI train, some trains are made to heavy (large 4K texture sizes while the game isn't really build for that).

Recommended is an SSD drive that holds your Train Simulator installation to minimize loading stutters, but they can't be advoided.
    There are routes (even on Steam) that use vast amount of assets on tiles because either it has been build out much more then you can see from the cab of the train or there is just much going on, on that tile because of a busy station.

On my machine (Intel Core i7-7700k with 32gb ram and a GTX 1070 OC) scenarios with lots of AI or a heavy route can let the FPS drop to even below 15 while the machine isn't even stressed.
    On some routes the FPS gets around 50 or 60, but most it will stick around 30, which is more then adequate for a Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Thanks buddy. But what’s the best in game settings I should assign to get the max out of the game or my rig?

18. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi,
    You'll need to fiddle with the settings to determine what you prefer as for some a higher frame rate is important and for others detail.
    Personally, in Train Simulator I see no benefit of running above 30fps so max detail would be my recommendation.

19. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

Thanks I’ll share my settings screenshot later in the day once I get home. Let me know if it’s good enough. Ya I am actually looking at higher FPS

20. FirebladeRV

FirebladeRV New Member

please see attached pics and let me know if i should change anything mate?

Attached Files:

21. TrainSim-Daniel

To get the best detail you'll need to set scenery quality to the maximum as lower than this and the game won't load in every single asset.
    I'd also max out Scenery detail as with your hardware you shouldn't have a problem maxing this out. If all you want is max FPS rather than detail then stepping down to a lower resolution would achieve this but it would make the game look much less detailed.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

I think you mean Scenery Density that option should always be maxed out as some assets only display if that option is at maximum.
    Quality is important for RAM usage, but not much difference in how it looks when it is in 70% (1 tick down) or at max.

• Like Like x 2