PC Ts2018 Vs Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kentolsson73, Aug 8, 2018.

1. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

OK — from my involvement in the Steam forums since 2013 with railworks and in these - only comments I have seen removed both prior to and following DTG-Lukes arrival have been troll baiting, personal attacks and comments that should not be in a public forum.

Criticism of DTG, valid (or even invalid )complaints put forth in a mature manner are not deleted. What was being called cliche was the fact that TSW was being “dumbed down” for distribution to consoles not the person who made the comment. And yes I read the thread as it was developing. This was also explained by DTG-Luke in the other forums so no real need to re-hash in this one.

• Like Like x 6
  2. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it now, and I find myself in similar situation like the user in the first post here. After spending some time with tsw, yesterday I decided to buy ts2019, and a steam loco dlc, as steam trains aren't coming to tsw anytime soon. After an hour of playing, i requested a refund from steam. Framerate is worse, graphics is much worse, but I could live with all that, that was not the reason I requested a refund.
    I requested a refund because in order to play any scenarios with steam loco i would have to buy additional dlc's with routes. Ok, I thought, lets check out the workshop for those completely free user made scenarios. But that's even worse, as every user made scenario requires a (different) set of dlc's, sometimes 5 or more. At this point I feel like I'm just being scammed into buying more and more dlc's, and that is not a good thing.
    And for the tsw:
    I will keep playing tsw despite all problems mentioned in this thread (and many others), simply because there's nothing better out there at the moment. As mentioned before it has a potential to be a great game, if only dtg would actually listen to community and focus on fixing at least the most annoying issues.
    I'm a developer in a big company myself, and what I can tell you, the best way to deal with software that has huge number of bugs is to focus on prioritizing before anything else. Some bugs can require very little resources to fix, but be very annoying for customers. Those should be a top priority, as they are the cheapest way to gain customer trust, satisfaction, and ultimately profit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If you want to drive steam without spending too much I suggest you look for a copy of TS2016 which includes The Riviera Line in the '50s- that is nothing but steam and no little variety either from tanks to express passenger loco's albeit all Great Western classes. Ask Google but copies were going for less than a pound at one point last year. You should be able to get it as a Steam code.

While it can be frustrating to find an interesting scenario in the Workshop only to realize you don't have some item to make it work the talented generous people who create and post their scenarios are quite entitled to use whatever DLC they have at their disposal. I only wish the Workshop's search function was a bit cleverer so, for example, you could just return results that only use a particular DLC. Come to that Steam knows what DLC you have- why can't it use that data as a search parameter?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They do listen to the community.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to exactly what is headed to TSW when the editor comes out...

• Like Like x 3
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

Anthony, these posts are infuriating...they are completely meaningless and add absolutely nothing to the discussion!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Sounds like a personal problem.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

In your humble opinion -- or is that "humbug" opinion. In simpler terms, back at ya'.

• Like Like x 2
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why don’t you think people should express an opinion? Seems anyone trying to be anything other than negative isn’t welcome here.

• Like Like x 3
  10. hightower

hightower Guest

I can’t see anywhere where I’ve suggested people can’t have an opinion, positive or negative. It’s not my, or anyone but Dmitri’s, place to say that.

However, clearly the point I’m making has gone straight over your head. Equally clearly, I’m not the only one who has issue with the way Anthony sometimes posts. You obviously have a problem with what I post and so be it...that’s entirely your prerogative and I can take it. I’d like to think that whatever opinion I express, I back it up with evidence where possible, and an explanation (at least) where not.

Anthony relentlessly posts these meaningless 5 or so word statements on which he almost never elaborates. Whenever he does the post is usually proceeded by “Matt said on Discord...” or some other non-statement.

Get involved in the debate and express an opinion, but at least give a reason why!

Anyway, back to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

After the arrival of TSW, the amount of time I've spent with TS has consistently dropped, partially because I'd become somewhat burned out on scenario creation. Each time I return now to TS, I find it more unsatisfactory visually in comparison to TSW, which contains far more detail presented far more realistically. A few days ago, as I spent an afternoon moving back and forth between TSW and TS, the latter's graphics, including lighting (which appeals to me because of my many years as a theatrical lighting designer):
    TSW_Tommaso_1553453597_00.jpg

I'm pretty sure that graphics such as this simply cannot be found in TS, but, on the famous other hand, road traffic is famously (notoriously?) absent from TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  12. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Yeah, back on topic. I repurchased ts, and a few dlc's that contain steam locomotives. Graphics sucks, framerate is bad, but it has steam locomotives which have been super fun for me to play with. Also scoring system is more fun in ts, every time you exceed speed limit, or slip wheels, or accelerate/brake too hard you lose points. Also, there is a lot more routes and locomotives to choose from, it's impossible not to find something you like, and most will be fairly cheap too.
    So, in my experience there is no clear winner between tsw and ts, I play both, for now, at least until steam locomotives for tsw come out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes it is mainly steam which keeps me using TS1 now. There are a couple of routes I enjoy too, the Wherry Lines for instance is of very good quality and also the blue Woodhead route.

The graphics are so much better on TSW and for me service mode is a boon.

I can imagine in a couple of years time when hopefully we have had some steam (some period routes would be good not just preserved steam) and more content in general then I will be using TS1 very little and only for a select couple of routes. Some more life in the TSW routes would be great though, NTP and WSR seem particularly lacking, the WSR should be full of life.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LastTrainToClarksville

To each his own!

15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I like Dimitri. Does what a community manager should.

I havent been back to TSW as it takes a lot of time up to explore, take shots but with regards to realism. Hmm I will probably be blasted here but to me its the best thing we've had in UE4 to 'simulate' near enough. BS18 is BS, Fernbus is F.BS. and any attempt at marketing Simulator.

I agree though it could be better simulating signalling but with PZB at least it allows you to respond whereas TS its penalty points, etc with TSW its rewarding... Weird as it may seem.

I do hope once an editor is out we can tweak, fiddle and perfect on a stable platform, the lighting is Epics doing and it may be worth telling Epic to improve on that from the base code. DTG cant change the base code same as we cant change the base code, but again Im not right in all this so I dont know either.

I do know compared to TS18 there's no dump for the detail it has

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I heard that BS18 is very acradey.