Route Proposal: Santa Fe Grand Canyon Route 1950s (chicago Area)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GP40Man5528, Dec 6, 2017.

?
  1. YES!

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GP40Man5528

GP40Man5528 Active Member

[​IMG]
    ATSF Blue Goose No. 3460 chugs outside of Chicago with the "Grand Canyon" passenger train in 1946.
    Photo by of Wallace W. Abbey (http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/abbey/#!)

HISTORY
    Founded in the 1850s by Cyrus K. Holliday, The Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, or ATSF for short, is a well known fallen flag railroad in the United States. The Santa Fe's main route, known as the Grand Canyon Route, runs from Chicago to California, Colorado, Arizona, and many more western states. This route navigates the Santa Fe's flagship passenger trains such as the famed "Super Chief" and "Grand Canyon". The railroad went to a full diesel roster in early 1954 and continued passenger service. Then the railroad began suffering towards the 1960s as cars and Airplanes became a preferred method of travel in the U.S. With the cancellation of passenger service on the Santa Fe in 1971 and the abandonment of Dearborn Station, the Santa Fe closed an Era of over 2 centuries. And the railroad continued on with permanent freight assignments until it merged with the then Burlington Northern to create the BNSF Railroad.

[​IMG]
    The Grand Canyon Route map.

Train Sim World Rendition
    While modeling the whole Grand Canyon route would pretty much fry even the strongest of computers, I propose about 130 miles of the route from Chicago's Dearborn Station to Chillicothe, IL. Passing through the towns of Joliet and Streator. The Route shares commuter service with the Rock Island Railroad running from Chicago's La-Salle Street Station to Joliet Illinois on the now Rock Island commuter district. Dearborn station has a huge yard and servicing facility for the Santa Fe's large fleet of steam and diesel locomotives. Dearborn station served almost 9 to 10 other railroads in the 1950s. Including the Chicago & Western Indiana railroad. The C&WI owned the station and did some switching duties around the yards and station for the other railroads mostly using RS1s.

[​IMG]
    ATSF E3a no. 11 at Dearborn station in 1952.
    Photo by of Wallace W. Abbey (http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/abbey/#!)

Locomotives & Rolling Stock

The ATSF had a wide variety of Locomotives in the 50s. But there can only be so many locomotives in this game. So here are some locomotives I'd propose:

LOCOMOTIVES

ATSF 3460 Class Hudson's

[​IMG]
    Production of the ATSF 3460 class 4-6-4 Hudson Steam Locomotives began in 1937. Though six were ever built, they were real work horses. They pulled some of the Santa Fe's Signature Passenger trains. Such as the "Cheif" or "The Scout". Number 3460 was the first built and was given a streamlined shrouding known as "Blue Goose". In 1937, locomotive 3461 (Photo Above) set a world record by completing a mail service of over 2,000 miles without maintenance. Though powerful, the diesels took over in 1954. And only one survives today, Engine 3463 sits in a park rusting away in Topeka, KS.

ATSF 4000 Class Mikado's
    [​IMG]
    Built by Baldwin in 1921, the 4000 class 2-8-2 Mikados were built with 63 inch drivers and were powerful freight haulers. About 100 Mikados were built and production of the 4000s ended in 1926. were mainly assigned to freight service around the Santa Fe system. By 1956, all the Mikados were gone. The only one that is supposedly still around is 4076. Which is submerged under the Kaw river in Topeka, KS with sister locomotive 3167 and 2-6-2 1035.​

ATSF F3 & F7 Diesels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 1,500HP Diesels were constructed by EMD between 1945 and 1953 With the F3s beginning in 1945 and the F7s beginning in 1949, the same year F3 production stopped. These F units were used primarily on the Santa Fe's passenger trains but some were used for freight operations. Some F7s were given a blue and yellow scheme for freight duties. These locomotives served the Santa Fe well until the 1970s when all were pulled from service. No F3s survive today, but thankfully, plenty ATSF F7s are still around in museums.

C&WI RS1 Diesels
    [​IMG]

The C&WI Railroad owned the famed Dearborn Station in Chicago, IL. And with this ownership, the railroad was responsible for switching duties for the other railroads that used the station. The C&WI Mainly used RS1 locomotives to handle most of the switching. The RS1 Built by ALCo between 1941 and 1953. The railroad only ever owned twelve of them. They were the main switchers throughout Dearborn station. after three to four decades of service for the C&WI, all were gone by the early to mid 1970s. No C&WI RS1s are known to have survived.

ROLLING STOCK (PASSENGER)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Passenger trains such as "Super Chief" used beautiful streamlined passenger cars built by the Budd Company and Pullman company. The streamlined cars consisted of RPOs, Baggage, Coaches, Sleepers, Domes, and Observation cars. After the death of passenger service on the Santa Fe, some coaches were sent off to the Penn Central and some to tourist lines and museums. The rest were cut up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apart from the streamliners, the Santa Fe used Pullman-built Heavyweight passenger cars as well. The heavyweight cars consisted of RPOs, Baggage, Coach, Sleepers, And Observation Lounge cars.

[​IMG]

The Santa Fe also used standard Pullman Company coaches and sleepers on many of their trains. These cars were popular back in the day and still are.

ROLLING STOCK (FREIGHT)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Santa Fe had a wide variety of freight equipment back then. Mostly 40ft Boxcars and Reefer Cars. Some boxcars and reefers had the name of an ATSF passenger train written on the side of the car. But besides ATSF equipment, I also propose an old Texaco tank car that were used on many freights in the 50s (Pic above). The Santa Fe also used small early steel cabooses for the end of their freight trains. As well as Low Drop Bottom Gondolas.

FINAL CONCLUSION

Train Sim World is still a new game, but it is missing a lot of experiences. It missing the experience of driving steam powered locomotives. It is missing the experience of riding a luxury express passenger train. It lacks the experience of the glory days of american railroading. The days of simpler times. Not only does the route have all of those qualities, This route follows a historically significant and stunning railroad in a beautiful part of the United States. Which is why I think this route would be a great fit for Train Simulator World.

“It's not getting from A to B. It's not the beginning or the destination that counts. It's the ride in between...This train is alive with things that should be seen and heard. It's a living, breathing something -- you just have to want to learn its rhythm.”
    ― David Baldacci, The Christmas Train

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
  2. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

+1

Well articulated and a good suggestion for a new route. I would love to see some steam introduced at some point

• Like Like x 1
  3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Classic ATSF is always a treat. But I'm curious, which metra line would this correspond to in the modern day? The Racetrack?

4. GP40Man5528

That would be the Metra "Rock Island District" from Joliet Union To La Salle Street Station.

5. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

I'd like to propose a PA-1 for passenger mainline service. It would change from the eternal EMD locomotive.

Thanks for the article.

2380a528605b6c7395d679186efb46d0.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. GP40Man5528

I wanted to mention the PA's but I felt like 5 locomotives may have been a bit too much. Maybe that is just me though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Samuel

Samuel Member

Really great route and locomotives. Would be great to have this in TSW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blackhawk359

Blackhawk359 New Member

This needs to be suggested again in a newer thread! I love this idea. Would be really great to see the F3’s and 7’s in TSW.

9. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be suggested again in a new thread. This is one of the best proposals on here.

10. Samuel

Samuel Member

Can you re-add photo? all are broken

11. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The PA-1s are really beautiful. I'd like the Hudsons, too. We could get the ATSF #3460 Blue Goose. I'd also like the Super Chief or El Capitan. The Mikado is a good idea, but I'd rather have diesel or ATSF 4-8-4s. I would totally buy this route. I love ATSF.