PlayStation Northern Trans-pennine Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by byeo, Mar 25, 2019.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

As we’ve currently got a TSW EU sale at the moment I’ve been looking at the DLC available. I’m not interested in picking up RSN or MSB, the German DLC’s just don’t do it for me. WSR seems short and I’ve already got LIRR, which leaves me with NTP.

Been a northerner this DLC should be a no brainier and I’m close to pulling the trigger now it’s in sale but I’d like to know what it’s actually like. Is it a buggy mess, are all achievements available and ultimately is the DLC worth £17.99?

2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I think it is a very well done route.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I'd say it was well worth it, don't forget you are not only getting a decent length route but you are also getting a 45, 47, DMU and MK2's and they have certainly captured the atmosphere of the route in the 70/80's

The sounds on the MK2's are good, the 47 sound is OK but not too impressed with the sounds on the DMU and Peak.

The are some texturing issues, basically the mountains are poorly textured and the MK1 Brake Van inside is too but the MK2's are great. If you like driving at night then that does let you down as none of the houses/buildings window's & street lights actually light up at night.

I can't tell you about the collectibles as that's something I don't bother with.

Overall I'd say get it, you won't be disappointed.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add, the version I have it on is PC

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

Hey byeo,

I would go for it. NTP and RSN are my favorite routes, both for completely different reasons.

NTP offers some unique driving opportunities the other routes don't have. Speed limits are unannounced, so you better learn the route. No AWS means you really have to pay attention to the signals. I also really like how the griminess of the time is implemented, although one might argue it makes for some rather dull scenery.
    By far the most fun for me is the BR Class 101 DMU. Both the gear shifting and the brake are unique in TSW and both challenging and rewarding. Coming to a controlled stop right at the perfect spot at the platform on a steep downward grade, for example. Unfortunately, at least in my version, the sound of it is quite bugged. I've explained it here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/class-101-gaurd-buzzer.14885/#post-70471 DTG tells me it's a problem with the U4 engine and unlikely to be fixed soon. Other than that I have not experienced any other serious bugs except for the usual ones (weird lighting in tunnels comes to mind).

• Like Like x 3
  5. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

I think it is well worth the price on sale.
    Three types of rolling stock, including the 101 which has gears to change, adding a bit of variety to driving.
    You can pick express or stopping services on the other two locos and the scenery is varied enough.

At the end of the day it is up to you.

6. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

It's definitely worth it imo. It's got a lot of charm and is not lazily done, the 1980s aesthetic is great to look at and driving the 101s in particular is challenging, which is a good thing.

However it can be buggy. I was doing one of the scenarios last night and found the Class 47 loco just shotting up randomly to 200 miles an hour for a brief moment before getting control of it again. Plus if you're planning to earn the trophies, you might have to earn them on a new profile as it didn't work on my original one.

7. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

The thing with the high MPH could be wheel slip. Its measuring the wheel speed itself and if it slips it can show something like that. I had that on WSR and was at least told that this is wheel slip and not a bug. Could be the same here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

NTP is far the best route so far for me and i've had no problems with it. Me being a Northerner and living in Leeds it was a no brainer for me

• Like Like x 1
  9. idiosis

idiosis Member

Yep it's probably the best route they've produced so far.

10. ianace

ianace New Member

The PS4 version seems to be full price still.

11. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Theres at least 2 services for the class 101 that are bugged when getting to Leeds. Permanent red lights. But on the whole, its prob the best route so far

12. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

Thankfully that's no trophies for completing ALL services. Which 2 are bugged though if you can remember?

13. FallenAngel00me

1 is the 12:14 Manchester to Leeds all stops. (That could be 12:18, my memory is failing me).

The other is the next Manchester to Leeds all stops service. I don't know of any others as I've had no issues doing the rest before them

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. FallenAngel00me

Let me update. The services that have the red light issues are

Manchester- Leeds 09:14
    Manchester- Leeds 13:09

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Also the 17-12 and 16-xx departures from Victoria with the 101

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I reported the 09.14 about 2 weeks ago but they havent had any reports of it happening

I havent had any issues on the 16-19 services but the 17.12 i havent tried yet

17. FallenAngel00me

• Like Like x 1