PlayStation My Compliments To Dovetail

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Steveofgreenbank, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

I purchase TSW just this week. WOW. I am super impressed. I have used others for a long time but this is just so impressive. I did a scenario shunting with a class 09. The buffers are sprung. The couplers change from hook to hand. The sound of coupling and uncoupling. The spring apart after coupling. Changing the points. The turntable. Driving the class 09. The sound from the wheels is correct. EG Click, click, click ..........click, click. 3 axles then two. Driving the 101. The quality of the "world". The sounds of the track, locos, the singing turbo. Someone or all at "Dovetail" should be congratulated for the effort and attention to detail and the little details you guys have put in. Some will never appreciate. I do. Thank you. Brilliant.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Xilixir

Xilixir Active Member

haha, wait untill u have a bug and tell them ;) compliments will be swears then :D dtg moneyfreaks

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Don't encourage them, or the game will never be fixed. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

Yes, there are bugs but I'm one of those glass half full guys. The glass is a lot fuller than it is empty. Sorry for being positive.

• Like Like x 6
  5. TheCadManFan

It's all good and well being a glass half full guy, but try being a glass half full guy, when said glass is leaking worse than a sieve!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

We’ve had this discussion a million times. Sure as a sim it’s very good, but until I can achieve the promised achievements then it’s tarnished for me. Some will say we are in this to experience the simulation of driving the train and this is true but for some of us “completing” the game by way of the platinum trophy is also a valid excuse for playing this and any PS4 title. We log tickets as promised, we have wait for patches apparently but, if the pc guys don’t experience the same trouble then we’ll never see a fix. All patches are ports from the pc version, just compare patch notes.

Play it for 6 months + like the rest of us and see how you feel

• Like Like x 4
  7. Xilixir

Xilixir Active Member

:love: nicely said :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

This is 100% true. I bought the game as I've been in love with trains for over 20 years, but as a PS4 gamer the trophies in the game as still important. I don't buy most PlayStation games just for the trophies but it represents a big value for money as well (especially considering with the price of this game as well). If every trophy unlocked properly, it'd give me more reason to play it and buy DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  9. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Many of us appreciate them bringing this to console.
    It must have been very difficult on this hardware, and they have delivered an incredible game.
    There are some minor bugs that can easily be worked around, and aparently not all the trophies can be achieved.
    The new content gets better and better too.

Let's just hope that some of the bugs and trophies can be fixed and the great DLC keeps coming.

Certainly going to be the most expensive Playstation game I have ever owned with all the excellent DLC that I have.

To be able to drive real routes for hours with realistic trains and exact scenery is incredible.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

Me again. I am somewhat older than you guys and I have been "playing" console/computer games for a very long time. Pre 286. I spent so many hours, me and my son, playing PS1/2. Also, I have chasing the "non bugged" solution between hardware and software for ....... It ain't there. Its a cat chasing its tail. The programmers are given the best, top of the range computer to develop the software on and us plebs try to keep up. We spend a lot of our time, money and frustration trying to get the perfect experience. It just ain't there and will never be until the computer industry plateaus and I don't think that will happen soon. Even the, to me, most refined softwares, Gran Turismo, Windows, has bugs and they have spent millions on those. I don't think for one millisecond that Dovetail have the level of resources/money to implement and solve all of your problems and from what I see, they are listening. But what you ask is far beyond what they can afford to deliver.
    So, I look past the bugs and I so much enjoy the graphics, the challenge of getting the braking/acceleration in the right place at the right time, NOT breaking speed restrictions and arriving on time, doing a smooth stop at stations, and on and on. To me, I will keep paying them for the more I pay, the more they have resources to solve some problems.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TheCadManFan

I don't want to be that guy, but I have been playing games since the Sega Master System II (Sonic The Hedgehog, Cool Spot, James Bond 007: The Duel, Robocop vs Terminator, Master of Darkness etc...). And no doubt there might be someone here who can go even further back than me! Back in those days, and right up to the PS2/XBX/GC era, games were released and that would be their final form glitches and all. But now a half finish game can be released, with the rest being drip fed through patches. I don't like the way it's gone, but that's the way it is. Speaking just for myself, any frustration is down to the... appearance, that not much is being done to the base game, while one dlc after another (each apparently with their own problems) is being released.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yep, can go further back - My first Train Simulator was a texted based program for the Amstrad CPC 464 called Lickey Route,which was Cheltenham Spa?-Birmingham New St, I was about 14yrs old.

Around 1987 my mate still had a spectrum and he came across Southern Belle, WOW, a train sim with graphics!! I loved that game but I couldn't manage to find it for the Amstrad.

Just imagine what Train Sims will be like in another 30yrs!?!

13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

The green screen Amstrad CPC64, built in tape drive? Those where the days ha ha

14. 3440

3440 New Member

Sinclair zx81 was my first computer (if you can call it that)

Progressed to ZX Spectrum 48k, 128k and then commodore 64, amigo and finally onto PC's

Many happy? hours sat typing in programmes from Sinclair user and trying to find the error and cure when the error popped up "error in Line 50" but it taught me how to programme in basic and from that, my eldest son progressed writing games (and having one published on Sony Magazine). He is now a very wealthy programmer who works writing systems for banks and financial firms now.
    Oh happy days

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TheCadManFan

My brother had an Amstrad CPC 464+. Yeah I remember it. Cassette deck on the face of the keyboard, and then the cartridge slot on the left side of the keyboard. Pang, Balldozer, Seymour At The Movies, The Spy Who Loved Me, Shinobi, Indiana Jones, Batman '89, How To Be A Complete Bastard (that was an odd game), those are the ones I remember. There was a driving game he had on a cartridge, it served two purposes, one was the game, the other was needed to use the computer, if that makes any sense.

Just think what games will be like in 30 years! How far we've come.

16. TrainGuyPS4

TrainGuyPS4 New Member

I still have Southern Belle for my CPC emulator, but I had the CPC tape version back in the day as well. I remember Amstrad Action gave it away on one of their later xmas covertapes (1990?) as well. You had to buy the "sequel" (Northen Star, I think?) if you wanted to drive the route in the opposite direction. They were about £12 each in the mid 1980's. So yeah, as an old duffer I see the massive leaps that have been made too. It's still a bit irritating though to be honest, because it seems to be as much a case of doing basically no QA on console ports. Laziness isn't the same as pushing the technical boundaries, and only one of those things should excuse glitches and bugs, and only on condition they're actually addressed in this day and age. Still, the good far outweighs the bad and the fact they went back and redid RT is an encouraging sign that they're paying attention (rogue 1000hz magnet near Greppin notwithstanding!).