Could We Have Routes Longer Than 60 Miles / 100km?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 749006, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The routes coming out for TSW have all been quite short compared with TS2019.
    Most routes in TS2019 have been getting longer but in TSW they are relatively short

The suggestions on this Forum are quite good but much longer that what is being produced

Peter

• Like Like x 8
  2. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

Yes I agree

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

TSW has a lot more limitations than TS. As it’s pretty clear to see TSW is more visually realistic so adding more detail to a route takes more time. A £15 route for TSxx would be worth about £40 for TSW as it takes DTG a long time to make these routes and is more expensive so it would be harder for them to turn a profit. I think DTG should ask the community whether they want more frequent, cheaper and shorter routes available or longer, more expensive routes that are released less often.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I would love for DTG to actually ask what their customer's want and then listen to them, I see little to no evidence that they have any desire to do this, but I would love to be proven wrong and see things improve.

I have said before in the past that I would be happy to pay more for the product if it had more quality control.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

Yes. That. I can't agree more.

6. cosmo

cosmo Active Member

I'd back this, some of the stuff I'd love to see is a little more than the current "standard" length (about 55-60 miles.) I'd wait longer and pay more to see it done in full!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. I'd want to see the full Cajon Pass route (including BNSF Barstow Yard, BNSF San Bernardino Yard, UP West Colton Yard, and Mojave. The Seligman Sub would be great, too. It's 300 Miles of long freight operations in the desert (and even the Amtrak SW Chief).
    The Northeast Corridor needs to be done in its entirety.

8. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I would love to see longer routes but 300 miles? Ain't that a bit much?

• Like Like x 2
  9. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

we do need longer routes in TSW but 300 miles is a lot to ask for I wouldn't mind seeing Norfolk Southern Pittsburgh line between Harrisburg and Johnstown

• Like Like x 3
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This isn't that complex. Make a route, and then extend it over time. £25 for the base route then incremental decreases as the extensions build. It might mean taking two years to release a long route, but it would also avoid some of the problems such as the ECML merge is having in TS1 where map tiles are at different elevations.
    And DTG should have the uncooked routes to be able to extend.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be better if they released a full priced route and then expand it for free rather than this weird price shifting?

12. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Not entirely related, but Run8 allows a continuous run from Seligman, AZ, to either Los Angeles or Fresno CA, depending on which route you want to take. 519 miles one way (Seligman-Fresno), 431 miles another (Seligman-LA).

According to UE4 documentation, there's no real upper limit to what can be done. The only real limiter is dev time, which is why DTG has been shying away from long routes.

13. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

But don't Train Sim World cost more resources which would make it more a 300 mile route way to large.

14. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Lirr also needs to be done probably the Duelmode Desiel DM30AC’s route.

15. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Good points and I understand completely that people want to see longer routes.

But in my chats with various devs, and particularly producers I understood that the whole idea of TSW is a bit different from TS19. Where TS19 is mainly focused on the routes, TSW aims to recreate the experience of the train driver. The initial marketing slogans say 'Be the Driver'. This is why a lot of effort is put into creating detailed locomotives, which I am sure you've already noticed. Making those locos in UE4 is a very long and delicate process, and the inside of the loco takes as much time, if not more than the outside, in contrast with TS19 where a large portion of time is spent designing scenery.

This, of course, limits the amount of time available for the devs to create longer routes. The scenery in TSW also gets a lot of attention, Main-Spessart Bahn is a good example of this. In one of our recent streams, Matt said that there are no particular limitations to the route length beside the dev time available. At the moment we are the only ones releasing routes for TSW so I can see how this can improve when the editor becomes widely available :)

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Good point Dimitri, and I really like and respect the philosophy of TWS.
    However, this doesn't really have to be a limit in route lenght: take the LIRR, my favourite route. Instead of doing another route from scratch, a new DLC can be the extension from Hicksville to say, Ronkokoma with the M3. There won't be much mileage but the two routes combined will achieve a much longer overall result.
    The same can be said for basically every other route. You are now establishing a ground for TSW and you could start improving that!

• Like Like x 3
  17. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Ronkonkoma would be awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  18. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Hey how come you guys have issues creating a proper scenery for a small map like Main-Spessart Bahn then?
    Referring to this: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/main-spessart-bahn-and-2d-trees.15105/#post-67893
    What is it now? Performance reasons or time pressure? Or both?

19. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

20. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

From what I have read DTG seem to be saying they have time limits set for which they can create the routes so that limits how long the routes are, also its been hinted that essentially they are still getting to grips with the Unreal 4 engine and creation tools, I dont know how long it will take for them to fully get the hang of it, but once they do maybe we will start to get longer routes or maybe we wont it could just bee that they will produce routes in quicker succession and so maximise profit, hopefully once the editor and creation tools are released third party route developers will step in and be able to produce the longer routes we crave. ;)

21. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

Dmitry, TSW philosophy is different from reality. Take at least locomotives, many details are made in the style of MSTS although the yard 2019. Many features don't work, the animation of the brakes is missing as a class about mirrors and cameras, I am silent at all. The that have shown in route HH successfully forgotten in other. This fiasco bro. Sorry for my English