Custom Whistle/horn Installation Troubles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buynot, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Last night, I was able to get some re-skins for the NKP berkshire to finally work, after months of not being able to figure out how to properly install them. This afternoon I wanted to install some custom whistles I found on RWA, thinking "getting those re-skins to work was relatively easy, how hard could this be?" However, after following the instructions provided in the description, and on the readme, I can't get them to work, the whistle is now completely silent, and I have no clue what to do. If someone could provide some help, in getting the sounds to work, that would be much appreciated!
    The whistle pack I used can be found here: http://railworksamerica.com/index.p...document&id=2641:whistle-pack&catid=25:sounds

2. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

Are the modded sound files .wav files?

3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Yes, they are.

4. Brickrail782

What you need to do is open the .xml file that controls the whistle for the engine, and anywhere it references the modded sound files, replace .dav with .wav so the game recognizes the new sounds. You can open .xml files with notepad.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! It works now!

6. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Alright, I know I said that I got it to work, but I've been encountering another issue, I've been trying to change the whistle on the B&LE Santa Fe, and the UP Challenger and now the whistle just, isn't changing to the one I want. I went into the .xml, and changed the .dav's to .wav's, and I've changed out the files, but the whistle just stays as the original. Would you happen to know how to fix this as well?

7. Brickrail782

Unfortunately, I don't think I've encountered this problem before. Sorry.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Rather than just changing .DAV to .WAV make sure the filename before .DAV or WAV matches EXACTLY the file you're putting in, so any spaces, capital letters etc must be accurate

9. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

It's possible the train uses sounds from another train. Many trains do.

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Surely this would be referenced somewhere in the xml? Don't know but guessing it would be

11. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

So, I've tried matching the file names, I've even gone as far as switching out the XML to the one from the sound pack, and still nothing. It continues to stay as the original whistle despite the original whistle files being moved elsewhere on my computer.

12. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

Did you clear your cache files after swapping files and before testing?

13. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Alright, I know it's been a while, and no, I didn't clear out the cache, and I still haven't (mainly because I'm lazy), but I've noticed one thing in common with all the locomotives that this has been happening to: for each of them, I've had to extract the asset files using 7-Zip as they initially show up as .ap files. So now I know (at least kind of) what the issue is, but I still haven't quite figured out how to solve it.