Steam Locos

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mufcfanste, Jan 21, 2019.

1. mufcfanste

mufcfanste Member

Hey all
    I think it would be good if some steam locos was on the game especially since they do tours year round I.e tornado,flying Scotsman etc. What do you think

• Like Like x 8
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Ditto. We need Flying Scotsman, LNER A4s (Mallard, for example), Black Fives, etc for British routes.
    For German routes: 2-10-0 Class 44s would be awesome. A DB BR 10, 18, 24, or 86 could be cool, too.
    For US Routes (we need routes for these): ATSF 4-8-4s (3751 & 2900-Classes), ATSF 2-10-10-2s, ATSF Hudsons, SP GS-2, -3, & -4s & Cab Forwards, UP Big Boys, Challengers, 4-12-2s, and FEFs, N&W J-Class, Y6b, and A-Class, C&O Alleghenys (or Blue Ridges on Virginian RR), PRR Duplexes, H10s, J-1 2-10-4s, M1A/B 4-8-2s, & K4 Pacifics, NYC Hudsons or Niagaras, DM&IR Yellowstones & B&O EM-1s.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  3. MidwesternRailroader

MidwesternRailroader New Member

I would love to see some steam at some point and this game has the potential to make a steam route something amazing. As of right now (With the obvious exception of WSR), we don't have a good route to run steam on. From what I've heard, it's also pretty difficult to make a steam locomotive for this game, which I can totally understand.
    I reckon we will see something steam related in the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

I am confident that we will eventually get steam locos. As Matt mentioned in the stream, steam locos are definitely on our mind.

The way we package our TSW Add-Ons is that we aim to have as much high-quality content as possible: multiple detailed locos, scenery, scenarios and services, so it all takes a lot of time to develop. Steam locomotives present even a bigger challenge due to their complexity, but it also means that when we do eventually release steam-focused add-on, it will be as good as we can make it.

• Like Like x 10
  5. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

Eventually release? That doesn't sound very encouraging. How can you have a credible train simulation world without steam locomotives?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Union Pacific 844 would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

He didn't say they wouldn't be released, it seems pretty clear from what he said that they will be released in the future. But they are complex and presumably they are not in a state to be released yet. Surely you want them to be released when they are ready and usable?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Same as you can have a driving simulation without every form of car. As they've said (on various posts), engines are difficult to make and steam engines are more complex than diesel. Add that to some of the more "outspoken" people on this site who would be "aggrieved" if things weren't "quite right" then you can understand the reticence to rush things out

• Like Like x 3
  9. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund New Member

I was a huge fan of games like MS Train Simulator and Pro Train Perfect back in the day but right now I haven't bought a new Train Simulator sinces ages. Because they all look incredibly dated, basically on par with that 14 year old Pro Train Perfect simulator and not much was changed regarding realism and especially graphics. Seriously, that Train Simulator 2019 still looks like a game made in 2007. They are just becoming cash cows at this point.

But Train Sim World is finally the Train Simulator we deserve, looking incredible realistic and heaving the train simulator genre finally in the modern era with awesome physics and realistic graphics.

But I still hesitate to buy it, because... yes as my name suggests I'm a huge fan of steam locomotives. And they are not there yet in Train Sim World. With Train Sim World and the power of Unreal Engine 4 its finally possible to create extremly realistic steam engines, not only in terms of graphics.

Basically, I feel like MS Train Simulator still has the most realistic steam train physics to this day. So much love was put into that game, the color of the smoke even changes when the firedoor is open and coal is being shoveled, you can see the steam from the cyclinder drainage when opened, they animated the steam from saftey valves and a lot more, many of those things are lacking even in the latest Train Simulator which is a shame. They just were incredibly realistic and alive in MS Train Simulator even though the graphics are incredibly dated.

So when steam trains finally are in Train Sim World, I expect that level of detail but with a modern times. I realise it's a lot of work but it can be done, and then I wil happily buy that new age of train simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Big Papi34

The best way to release steam trains would most likely be to have them as an excursion. Since it would be complicated to pack several steam trains into one dlc DTG could release a route with diesel trains then have a separate engine dlc that's a steam engine for that route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

They have released the ideal route, the West Somerset.

• Like Like x 1
  12. railroadman

railroadman New Member

DTG i got some ideas for you please reply to let me know what you think..... bigboy challenger cotton belt 819 sp 4449 up 844 H8 2-6-6-6 cab-forward j1 PRR 2-10-4 atsf 3000 triplex 2-8-4 1225 and 765 usa rolling stock packs overseas rolling stock packs? Russia aa20 4-14-4 up 9000 4-12-2 i could go and on but that's a good pack of ideas to draw from........ ALSO if anyone sees this post are they still making stuff for this game?

• Like Like x 1
  13. railroadman

railroadman New Member

also have you considered contracting K&L trainz to work with you by chance?

14. LoganTMT

LoganTMT Active Member

Sorry dude, but K&L Trainz only do Trainz content and don't have the software for some of the newer games.

15. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

Indeed, but it's then probably best not to call it car world simulator and leave out diesel powered cars.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

If you read my post though I didn't say they SHOULDN'T do steam, only that they have said it is much more difficult than other motive power.

• Like Like x 1
  17. heinz.knokke

heinz.knokke New Member

Most probably, a steam loco will be released representing a preserved engine on an heritage line. Most probably for the WSR. I've bought the WSR line for Train Simulator, but I've played it only 2 or 3 hours at the most, as this kind of service is boring to death. I regret having bought it, and will never buy an excursion type of steam loco in TSW for that reason. The line is too short, and services are too repetitive and boring.
    I'm a steam fan, but I don't like simulating preservation steam engine. I want the full steam experience that is no longer doable in the real world: a steam workhorse going through all its paces, and not only going back and forth along a few miles of preserved line.

What is really needed in my opinion, is a route like the Woodhead line or Netherfield Nottingham, or perhaps even better, something similar to the train simulator route Bessemer & Lake Erie, that offer a lot of potential replay with heavy freight hauling, industrial shunting and even passenger services, with only two different steam locomotives needed: a main line heavy hauler, and a smaller switcher engine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tmsb29

tmsb29 Member

This morning I chose a profile picture for my DTG live account. It has a number of options for each of the offerings (TSW, TS2019, Euro Fishing).

Listed under Train Sim World, at the bottom of the list, is a blurry "locked" picture of a GWR STEAM locomotive...

I apologise if that is already well known or has otherwise been commented on here, but is that perhaps a teaser for an upcoming release...? My guess then would be that it's for WSR.

(I’ve tried to attach a picture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Heh, I also had that idea a while back. But sadly, this icon really is only a placeholder for a not yet unlocked profile pic and not an actual hint on what's coming next

• Like Like x 1
  20. tmsb29

tmsb29 Member

Ahh, fair enough then. Thanks.

21. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

Damn i really got my hopes up too ahahah

22. theorganist

Steam really would be the icing on the cake. Hopefully it won't be in the too distant future till we can drive Raveningham Hall or similar on the WSR. What I really can't wait to see is a period steam route, something like Riviera in the 50's would be wonderful.

• Like Like x 3
  23. nickglanf

nickglanf New Member

I agree the WSR route does need a steam locomotive be it a Hall , Manor or a Panner Tank loco. And the Riviera route would be fantastic.

Had a ride on the WSR on Sunday had a Panner tank with six carriages on Minehead to Bishops lydeard . The Pannier worked hard for the twenty mile journey.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  24. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

I see no steam motive power in TSW 2020. Shame.

25. tjjennings

tjjennings New Member

It's too bad they don't just release the editor so we can make our own steam locos for the game then it wouldn't hurt their reputation if the locomotive doesn't meet someone's expectations instead it would be on the moder who made it

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

If they "just release the editor" when it presumably hasn't been fully tested yet, you won't be the first to complain about issues with it.

Believe me I am as keen to see steam as much as you are but I would rather wait till it is ready, the same with the editor.

27. ARuscoe

Not sure I can agree with that given the amount of complaints we see on TSx forum about how DTG should fix issues caused directly by 3rd parties or by people who have amended routes and then buggered it up.

28. jagay

jagay Member

It's been 18 months....

• Like Like x 1
  29. Big Papi34

Maybe if we try the spongebob " one eternity later" they will be here;)