Too Many German Routes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Random Railfan, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Recently Dovetail has been going nuts with the German content. Can we get an explanation?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Simple. The german overall railroad network length is about 43t km long. And its not only long, it has so much different routes (KBS) in it and most german railroad freaks want their own loved route section to be built for TS. For the possibilities of numbers of routes for TS from Germany we are at about 1% or so. Most important routes are not available for any TS out there. The demanding is very high. So it is a perfect market for making money :) And at least, there are way more GB routes available for TS than German routes yet.

Other aspect is, that not only DTG is building German routes. But most GB routes are from DTG. So basically DTG built much more GB than German routes yet. No "too many Gemran routes" at all.

• Like Like x 7
  3. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah, but all at one time? Before DTG had a balance where they would release a UK route, a German route, and a US route. Lately it's just been nothing but German and Austrian routes, maybe with a route from a different country thrown in every once in a great while. It's almost as if DB is paying them to put their whole nationwide system into the game. We need a break from the German content. How about something from the US or UK now to get the cycle going again? Or better yet, maybe a country we haven't seen yet, like Australia?

And I know either some fanboy or maybe somebody from DTG will come in and mention something like the Promontory route. Let's be honest, nobody cares about that route. It's more of a novelty route. And don't even mention the Hudson Line. That's still a work in progress since only half the route was released. At least I hope the other half is in progress.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

How about if the developer himself chimes in ...

Plenty of people care about the route, and besides, what's wrong with novelty? Or would you prefer everything to be the same all the time? Just because you aren't interested in 19th century steam doesn't mean you can take it upon yourself to claim that your views represent those of everyone else who plays TS.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I'd just like to bring up rule #4 in the forum guidelines: ONLY SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. As Smokebox said, just because you don't care about it, doesn't mean that others also won't. I'm a bit tired of seeing the constant promotion of German routes too, but I can understand it. There's a pretty large market for it seeing that there's all of this promotion for it. Sure it would have been nice for them to not be released so close to one another, but what can you do. Just be patient. There are more US/UK routes to come. There always are!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Theres only 3 german routes same as uk,usa so how it to many?

7. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

As I said in another thread, it's not the amount of routes being released, it's all the promotion around them giving off the illusion of constant German routes.

8. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Gotta love fanboys. I don't care. I'm sick of all the German content. Give us something else. Like, oh I don't know...the extension of the Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie that should have been included in the base route but wasn't included due to cost cutting and rushed production. Or maybe another Japanese route. I'd love to see something like the Yamanote Line in TS. Or the high speed line between Antwerp and Amsterdam, or something from Australia like the Zig Zag Railway or the Sydney Trains system. Just please, no more Germany or Austria for a while, please!

• Like Like x 2
  9. SHINO BAZ

Now that a good idea a 4th route(New world location)
    would make sence at this point.

10. Random Railfan

No, that's only the routes included with the game. We mean that Dovetail is releasing tons of German and Austrian routes, most of which are 3rd party.

11. Random Railfan

Yeah, there are so many better opportunities that Dovetail can follow. For example, extending the Hudson Line, like you said. I mean seeing that they actually appear to care about it and were giving it tons of support, I think it'll come with TS2020, and that usually means an extension, as was the case with North Wales Coastal, Peninsula Corridor, and so forth. Other opportunities, as you said as well, are maybe making their own Japanese route, instead of letting Union Workshop release their stuff to Steam. How about basically anything in Australia? More French routes, perhaps a commuter route with commuter EMU's? Spain? Italy? More American commuter railroads? More NJT content? The possibilities are endless!

12. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

You're talking about TSW in a TS2019 thread ;)

Why are you complaining when you give the reason for all German content yourself?
    By far most is indeed 3rd party stuff, not made by DTG and only published to Steam by them.
    DTG isn't producing much all together the last few years. Clearly their focus is on TSW.

It's a fact that the German market is one of the biggest markets for TS so there are lots of 3rd party developers that are making content which aims for that market. It's only logical therefor relatively more of that kind of content is finding it's way to Steam.

If you want more routes and trains from other countries then buy it outside of Steam at your developer of choice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Random Railfan

My point is that Dovetail used to make equal amounts of content for all three countries in TS19. I'm not talking about TSW, I'm talking about TS19, since they're currently just releasing content for Germany and Austria from other developers, such as Skyhook. You definitely have a point about buying from a different developer, don't get me wrong, but I'm more in it for the routes. You do get the occasional route from a 3rd party dev that usually isn't on Steam, but not reliably. I like that Dovetail has a reliable stream of content, maybe 3 or 4 routes per country each year. If you compare that to say, Armstrong Powerhouse, so far they have only made one route, the Wherry Lines. While I love this route, they still don't make multiple routes per year. Sorry if I sound like I'm picking a fight, I'm not. You do have some good points!

14. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

The TSW comment was for SHINO BAZ, not you Random Railfan ;)

Given the big three (US, UK, GER), you're saying DTG produces 9 to 12 routes a year? Not by a long shot!
    And lately it's more extensions then full routes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SHINO BAZ

This is listed as comning from the off topic section,so when taking routes i guess i didn't catch that it was TS related instead of TSW related,anyway with only 3 TSW routes currently and TS having well more,it just seem more talk was comning from tsw side then ts side currently...

16. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Adding my thoughts about this.
    As some said above, most content that comes out these days are from 3rd party creators, there has been hardly any content from DTG themselves for TS19 in the past year.

In Germany this came lives and thrives so there is much content, only a small amount of it is on Steam, there is much more available.
    It does seems like there is much of that content coming out, but it is just published on Steam.

For how many announcements it comes with, most content that comes out has about 3 or 4 articles. For US content there is most of the time a single announcement and then the others are written after it has been available, that is a different style but still has the same amount of articles.

As for hardly any US content (as this topic has been made not long after that the OP complained about no US content and such) is that most content that is is published for routes is from DTG.

Let's take a look at the numbers of DLC in the last year (April 2018 to April 2019) that has been by DTG (TS Classic only):
    Köln-Airport Link Route Extension (DE), Salt Lake City Route Extension (US), GP40-2 Loco Pack (US), Portsmouth Direct Line (UK), Frankfurt High Speed (DE), LGV Rhône-Alpes (FR), TGV Réseau (FR), North Wales Coastal (UK), Hudson Line (US), Inselbahn (DE)

So,
    3 German Add-ons
    3 American Add-ons
    2 English Add-Ons
    2 French Add-Ons

German and American content get the same amount in this comparison, as said, taken directly from Steam, maybe excluding items if they contain BNSF content as it doesn't show in Europe.

If you look at all releases (take into account that UK is higher because of multiple coach packs from Matrix Trains, most of the time 2 or 3 at once).
    27 English Add-Ons
    22 American Add-Ons
    10 German Add-Ons
    4 Austrian Add-Ons
    2 Chinese Add-Ons
    2 French Add-Ons
    1 Swiss Add-Ons

As you can see, there is much more American content released in the past year then even German, Austrian and Swiss combined!

If you want more American content or any other country content, get developers from those country or who are interested in those make them and them publish them via Steam.
    Just saying that 'there is much more german content' is invalided.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Random Railfan

Given the big three (US, UK, GER), you're saying DTG produces 9 to 12 routes a year? Not by a long shot!
    And lately it's more extensions then full routes.[/QUOTE]

Pretty big error on my side! Haha! You still get my point though, right? Dovetail is releasing (not making) lots of German and Austrian content right now. As of now it's the Aerosoft Bremen-Munster route, the Skyhook OBB 1142, the Skyhook OBB 1293, and the Inselbahn route. Between that all they released was the Bossman Games LMS Patriot Class and the Union Pacific scenario pack. Nobody really pays attention to the scenario packs anyway, so it's more like only one "real" add-on, if you will.

18. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

Bremen-Munster is developed by VirtualTracks.
    Aerosoft is just a 3rd party content publisher like DTG.

It's like I said before. If you look at what 3rd party content exists and still is being developed, by far the majority is German.
    So it's not all strange that relatively much German content finds it's way to Steam through DTG.
    Besides that I don't think DTG always is the initiator to publish 3rd party content but the developers in question are.
    They want their content available on Steam to reach a greater audience. Like RSSLO lately. DTG facilitates that.

19. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Calling other people fanboys and making unsubstantiated claims that no one cares about the Promontory Route, lets be honest - few care about your opinions because of the manner you put them forth.

Additionally, buying DLC is a choice, if you don’t like the new releases, don’t buy them. Obviously, DTG and third party developers are marketing items that sell, or are in their area of expertise and interest. No need to get upset, bypass the DLC that is undesirable to you and develop a bit of patience, something will come along that might fit your interest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Stapleton

Chris Stapleton New Member

Three years after the first post on this thread and Dovertail are still obsessed with German content on TSW 2!

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Because DTG have a Licence with DB to release trains with DB logos

22. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

The Sim market in Germany is huge compared with elsewhere - Sims are popular there so why not produce content for the Germans if they are supplying a large proportion of demand.

23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

There can only be too few routes. I could argue there's too many british routes with the same scenery over and over again, running two tracks and left and right nothing but 3d trees and every two miles a stone bridge... come on.

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do you normally wait over 7 months to find a thread to reply to - or are you trying to bump as many old thread you can?

• Like Like x 2
  25. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

sarcasm ON

You know, I could also be really tired of all the German, but also UK routes, many of which are London, London or London, using an HST in this or HST in that livery, with a very special HST add-on, plus the US, it's either slow freight or medium freight or very slow freight driven by an F7, an F7 or an F7 or maybe an SD40-2 or an SD40-2 or possibly an SD40T-2, or an ES44AC or an ES44AC or maybe some ES44AC.

Even if there wouldn't be any more US, UK or German DLC ever, it would be perfectly fine. If isn't too much already.
    I mean, new locos like the SD-44 or Acela 2.
    But another F7 retro pack? Hrr-grr!

In the meanwhile there are many wonderful Czech, Hungarian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Russian, Romanian routes, just to name a few beside bigger counties like India or Australia, many of which exist and could be offered and monetized (it's all about feeling tested and supported), even if all the rolling stock is almost impossible to model, who cares, see NEC 2011 and 2014, not to mention NJCL without Amtrak or freight.

sarcasm OFF

Seriously, being butthurt over a teaspoon of tap water not being a teaspoon of well water. Being jealous over content that isn't specifically created for you.

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Agreed - we could do with routes from other countries which are not covered by the main group of DLC makers.

Benelux countries, France, Italy, Poland, Czech, Romania all come to mind
    There are a number of DLC add-ons for these routes but not a proper route you can just buy and run without downloading a large number of assets from other sites.

• Like Like x 1
  27. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Wasn't here 7 months ago. Hey stop following me around! Anyway. The more content the better;)

28. Random Railfan

You guys shouldn't get too worked up over this, I wrote this like two years ago and I didn't really know what I was talking about lol.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Well i’m Danish but my interest lies in German/Austrian/Swiss/Italian content.
    So for me, there is no such thing as too many German routes.

I learned the German signalling system from watching cab rides way before i even knew TS existed, and i find PZB to be a fun and engaging train sequrity system. Driving with easier systems is no fun LOL.

• Like Like x 3
  30. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

In a decade’s time, your hornet’s nest will still be being kicked over!

• Like Like x 1
  31. Random Railfan

Yeah unfortunately people seem to do that :(