Let's End The Class 700, 707 & 717 Debate

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by jamesb1996, Apr 26, 2019.

1. jamesb1996

jamesb1996 New Member

Now I think I speak for many when I say we seriously need some of the more recent modern stock on train sim 2019 and I believe it would have a lot of perks on getting people back into driving certain routes that have become old and stagnant with no new stock or scenarios.

In particular for the stock I am talking about:

- Portsmouth direct line

-midland mainline

-chatham line

-east coast mainline

- Brighton to London

Now there is a lot of speculation that DTG may be having issues with licensing however I believe that to be invalid and untrue. They are perfectly entitled to make any stock they want, the licensing only plays a part in having the franchises logos on the side of the train. In regards to gathering data and pics from the cabs etc I'm sure plenty of GTR drivers would be happy to help or take the opportunity to gather them on a special depot tour like tours have happened in the past.

The lack of new British content not just on routes but on stock also is starting to be really disappointing and I believe we really need to speak louder now as a community to get this stock onto the game.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

PDL is less than a year old, so even with little to no updates there are plenty of recent workshop scenarios
    MML is being updated by third parties, lots of work ongoing
    Chatham hasn't HAD any new rolling stock unless what you want is to drive between Rainham and Gravesend (about 25 minutes) in a 700... Would need the London Bridge via Abbey Wood route to get anything from this
    ECML - Huge work done in third party land
    Brighton - Not much going on down there, so only update would be the 700s

To add to this someone (and a respectable someone at that) was actually building a 700 unit, but the community hounded them so much they gave up and did something else instead...

• Like Like x 1
  3. jamesb1996

jamesb1996 New Member

Granted albie was working on it however a officially made desiro would be better then a reskin over a pre-existing loco. Plus it was know he was having issues with train headlights/tail lights etc. If you are going to build something that people want then expect questions and if you can't handle that then you shouldn't of announced it or bothered to do it at all.

My main point is that we need some new stock so we can have some new scenarios etc

4. ARuscoe

You can create scenarios all you want using alt stock.
    But I know what you mean, it does seem that new trains are coming and somebody needs to step up and make them else TS2020 is going to be more like 2016

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And you know this How?
    When DTG releases a new train it comes in the correct livery and with scenarios for the route it would operate on.
    If DTG cannot get a License for a company there is no point in spending a lot of money researching and creating a new train if there isn't a correct paint scheme to release the train in.
    RSC released the Class 390 in Crimson Lake, Navy & Orange and Intercity Swallow liveries if they were to do that today with a new unit I think the sales would be very low and they may not get back the development costs.

Peter

6. ARuscoe

I think that if they released a fully fledged 7xx and 8xx unit and there are decent skins for both out there then they would get sales, especially given the proliferation of those units across the UK network.
    I'm sure the same could be said for any european locos, american locos... People have nostalgia for what they knew, but new up to date routes and realistic or even real time scenarios seem to be what's driving things right now and until we have those two units for the UK, it's getting harder and harder to do

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

But DTG won't release a Train unless they have the License to paint the train in at least One Livery
    And the reskins will only occur once a unit has been made - No Geopcdx - No Reskin

Peter

8. ARuscoe

What, like they did with the superexpress concept, and the class 800...?

9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Wasn't that a collaboration with Hitachi? I mean there is nothing stopping them trying to approach Siemens/Stadler/Bombardier/CAF/Talgo etc but would people want them in house livery?

I mean this is Stadler's - Anyone for Merseyrail in that livery?

upload_2019-5-1_18-16-48.png

10. ARuscoe

I think the general answer to that would be yes, and then let people who do reskins very well to do the reskins
    If DTG were to do a base model and do it very well then AP could do the sound pack and someone else can reskin it
    That seems to be how a lot of units go nowadays anyway

11. jamesb1996

jamesb1996 New Member

If licensing for the currently livery is a issue then they could be created in the FCC livery which is what they were originally designed to be as until FCC lost the franchise then people could do a thameslink re-skin.

12. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Can we all chill? It's the "suggestions thread" not the "Practicalities thread". Let people dream.

In any case the DfT own the rights to the GTR livery, if you can call it a livery. A Class 700 in all white with dirt up the sides will look just as effective without ending up with DTG in court.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

Superalbs’ Class 700 is being released on ATS soon. It has its flaws and is for AI use only but it’s a much needed addition, even if it’s only stop gap.

14. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

How did you find that out?

15. ARuscoe

ATS Facebook group

16. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

Ah, OK. I'm not on Facebook. So that's why i was unaware.

17. ARuscoe

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Superalbs is hinting that he's made a Crossrail Aventra too. I assume for AI too.

19. ARuscoe

To clarify, reskins for existing units are being made for AI so you can have "a 700" passing you as you drive certain routes. The insides, physics and so on are still the base unit so the speeds, sounds etc are likely to still be off

• Like Like x 1
  20. C 70015

C 70015 Member

I'd rather drive the 700 than have it pass me

21. ARuscoe

Me too, but doesn't seem that people are interested in making new UK stock...
    Well unless they're kettles...

• Like Like x 1
  22. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

Even then most new trains are delayed by months or seem to have problems with software and couplings. e.g. Class 331, 195, 710 etc.

• Like Like x 1
  23. C 70015

C 70015 Member