PC This Guy Pretty Much Sums-up The Problem With Tsw.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Wolfy, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot on TS1 and have almost fully switched to TSW. I think TS should be handed over to this parties.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Since TS201X is still providing a good revenue stream for both DTG and third party developers - I doubt it will be killed of and resources moved to TSW anytime in the near future. Looking at the steam statistics - more are playing TS2019 than TSW and I am sure most of them are not doing so just because it feels comfortable -- I do like TSW but the depth and variety is not anywhere near what is.

Just ran a scenario with the Class 37 from Armstrong Powerhouse on the Settle and Carlisle line -- that engine is just as, if not more, immersive than anything in TSW. On starting the whole cab shakes as happens when a large prime mover starts real locomotives - graphics are sharp and most system are implemented - with quality DLC like that for TS201X - it will be around for a long time.

That all being said I pend about equal amount of time in TSW as I do with TS2019 - both have different qualities that I enjoy as well as different quirks that I tolerate. So why should a company give up a good revenue stream for an older product when they can nurture to revenue streams without distracting from one another.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Except that given they're based on different technologies the skillset is possibly also very different so maybe they can't just "move over" and you would actually be laying them off.

The same argument would be made for "We want more routes, let's move people from the scenery department to the loco department". Need to know if the skillset is there first.

I also disagree with the people using TSx are wanting to "cling on".
    The main thing I've seen for people using TSx is variety. So far in TSW there is only 1 line I would want to play and that's Paddington to Reading. I have no interest in DE and US traction at all and never will and driving a few miles at 25mph isn't my cup of tea either. So keeping my collection of routes and consists on TSx seems a good trade off for me personally.
    Other people's wants may vary of course

• Like Like x 1
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think that is true it is mainly the variety which will keep users with TS1 for the meantime at least. I personally use TSW a lot more than TS1 now, I find I am enjoying the German and USA routes in TSW (mainly thanks for service mode) I rarely bought a non-British route for TS1. However I can see a time in TSW where I may have fewer routes than TS1 but will be "playing" them a lot more. Some freight and a couple more DLC for the NTP and I will spend loads more time on that as there will be so much to do on it. I like TS1 but making scenario's for it is onerous and frustrating much of the time. If we get a couple of steam period routes in the future that will really be something and will possibly end my use of TS1. At the moment I only now "play" with a handful of routes on TS1.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

That's absolute nonsence! Because

Newbees may go for the pretty graphics. But people who know both games will not.
    Because it are two totally different games. Both in play as wel as the engine behind it.
    TSW isn't the successor to TS. Even DTG said so themselves.

As long as consoles remain responsible for TSW's limitation in especially tracklength TS will be around for years to come.
    Your invalid point about the team's assignments has been countered by others with solid arguments already.

6. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Consoles arent the limiting factor in route length. Its a time -> income trade off as it takes longer to build routes in UE4

• Like Like x 4
  7. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

Oh well, that's what I heard from various sources.

I can understand that, but if your previous statement is true then DTG should be creating routes that are more like TS20xx in length.
    Yes it would take up more time to develop but they would sell a hell of a lot more dlc to more than compensate that time.
    A lot of potential buyers don't buy because routes are so short.

8. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

They said more than one time in the streams that the length isnt limited by Consoles.
    And i believe i can remember that they said at some point that if they do longer routes they would need to charge more for them. And that not much people would buy a route for 40$+.
    That beeing said they could still do longer routes at some point, since they get faster with the tools and their workflow as they get more familar with that process with every route they do.

9. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

Your right, its about cost. They cant afford to make long routes as they wouldnt have any cashflow! and no one is going to buy a route for £50 no matter how long it is... Route length isnt limited that much because all the game is doing is loading and 'unloading' the tile you are currently on anyway. So theoretically long routes are fine, its not like the whole route is loaded in in one go

• Like Like x 3
  10. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure if that is true, the TS1 team seems to have shrunk massively already. If you compare the number of DTG releases in 2016 to now they are much sparser.

I'd also much prefer DTG focus on TSW rather than produce terrible German routes for TS1. Stuff like Köln Airport Link and Stralsund-Sassnitz is a joke. Why even bother making such half-assed stuff.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

TS1 is mostly run by third party and the community these days. I think they exceed DTG’s ability to create content and DLC’s as you often receive a much higher quality of content coming from third party for TS1. Armstrong Powerhouse is a good example of this, as they often ‘fix’ DTG mistakes.

However TS1 is a good income creator for DTG, and is far more popular than TSW is at the minute, due to various reasons. So they won’t just suddenly scrap and abandon TS1, as that will result in bankruptcy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Eventually, years from now, I can see them leaving TS19 to the community and focusing entirely on TSW, but first they need more content for TSW. It's not ready yet. It needs to first have more DLC and a good editor before it can take over, both of which they are working on.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

People won't pay what it costs to develop longer routes, that's fair, but then it would be cool if they released route extensions/different segments of a route, each as standalone modules that can be combined into a single route. Especially now that they're fleshing out certain routes with several loco DLCs. Discounted if you already own another segment of the route. I think there are a lot of technical hurdles for this, though...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shukiii

Are we sure about that? Console sales might be massive.

• Like Like x 2
  15. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

• Like Like x 4
  17. raildan

The trees have nothing to do with the length of the line, only with how much scenery is loaded at once. The whole line is not loaded at once, so it can get pretty long. A waaaaay longer route would work fine, but as Anthony Pecoraro said, the issue is time. They put more detail into this- whether you think it's optimized or not- than TS19 routes, so it takes longer and they don't have time to work more.

Also, the optimization with the 2d trees is probably to help fit on consoles, so it's not as "awful" as it would be if they had to do this just for PC.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

That's your opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  19. raildan

Regardless of the quality of it, there is more detail (trackside, at least- being able to walk around adds a lot of need for this) in there than TS19 routes, that can't be denied- and that takes more time, so yes, time is the limiter.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

I don't think the DLC's are of low quality. Especially the more recent ones. (like RSN and onwards but even the base trio isn't bad at all imo).

• Like Like x 6
  21. Shukiii

Distant scenery is pretty bad at times, but that's it pretty much.

• Like Like x 3
  22. theorganist

That isn't the reason at all. They have said time is the factor. I suspect in the future we will see longer routes.

• Like Like x 2
  23. theorganist

There is nothing like constructive input!!

• Like Like x 2
  24. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

TS2019 is not any different on multiple routes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mokady

mokady Member

Did DTG finally released date of CSX AC diesel physics fix??? Last dev stream it was said that patch is in testing phase but it can last forever. After this long ( more than 2 years) we will see if this "fix" really fix anything.

Adding my few words to TSW vs TS conversation I dont know why so many people play train "sim" that doesnt simulate anything except limited controls.

26. Anthony Pecoraro

No date yet. Matt said that they are in “the home stretch.”

• Like Like x 1
  27. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I read an article today saying todays people will stick up for companies rather than each other and more like put down anyones opinion. It's simply that, one persons opinion, not he's better than anyone, its a review.

TSW is great, lots of massive potential and a lot more stable than Fernbus, the new weather update is a serious drain on resources, but the core physics are absolutely pants, another good potential game but lack of vehicle physics knowledge from the devs.

But DTG well, a 50mile route is okay but yeah anything additional to these routes would be nice

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I make a point of remembering that no matter what anyone anywhere says, unless it's a verifiable fact then it's "in their opinion"
    SO in that person's opinion, on the day they stated that opinion, they are entitled to it

29. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Ahh I just think people get too wrapped up in others, let others be, if they're proven wrong at some point good for them. It seems DTG do take onboard what the community strive for, which is the only way a game can be successful, it's consumers; any product for that matter.

30. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

The Quality is going Down,have you tried the New SW1000 Amtrak and Cab Car unit with all the new little bugs that it brings,what a joke

• Like Like x 4
  31. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Well at the time it was going up. Then they released this and dug themselves right back down to where they were, nowhere.

32. raildan

That is one DLC, overall other new DLC have been better. Also notice that he wrote that long before that DLC was released to begin with.

There is a reason nobody has posted on this thread in a month. This argument just keeps going, and I think people got tired of it here. Not that it didn't continue on other threads. And yes, I know I'm not helping all the time, maybe I shouldn't have written those first few sentences here, couldn't resist...

Point is, this is kind of like beating a dead horse, except the horse was never alive to begin with.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

The fact that I'm watching the Lone Ranger and just watched the part where the horse they were following just died makes this sentence 100 times better.

34. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Here's a crazy suggestion what about teaming up (someone doing a little bit of something) Station platform signage, etc. as we can see with GWR what can be achieved with UK assets but we need to build more assets. Im not sure what the polycount for assets has to be and texture usage, but I can start the signage for Southern routes (Victoria to Brighton, even try and get the floorplan for Brighton Station and Victoria, also the platforms throughout?

Would anyone have access to acquiring detailed drawings of the platforms etc or get reference photos?

I think we need to build for DTG as they can't make certain things due to licences - and TSW is a powerful engine being under used IMHO!!

What do we think? I can model the station signage and get it to a format TSW uses and we pitch this ish to DTG as a collective and say here release our community work without branding or download it and install it here with DTG aiding in making it compatible (as we don't have an editor yet)
    It may spur on something....

Been thinking about this all weekend prior

35. Anthony Pecoraro

londonmidland has been doing sign texture upgrades for GWE already.

36. londonmidland

Hello, if the station signs are unbranded in the next DLC, providing it’s modern, I’ll be happy to do a texture upgrade for it like I have done in GWE.

37. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Sounds good but what I was thinking was building assets to import to TSW as Matt on discord told us the file type UE4 uses. As i gather the editor is still not anywhere in sight.

Where to download londonmidland ?

38. londonmidland

On this forum, search for ‘GWE mods’ and there should be a thread containing the images and download links.

• Like Like x 1
  39. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Will do tonight, havent been back to TSW since I fixed my Windows installation

40. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

That review seems pretty accurate to me indeed. Or as I like to put it, I've fallen in love with the idea, the concept behind TSW. Now let's make that idea become reality - it's about time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2