Train Dispatcher Radio Tool

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by geloxo, Apr 19, 2019.

1. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

TDR2.jpg TDR1.jpg

Are you a fan of radio procedures? This interactive process is currently missing in most of the latest train simulator games, and comparing it to the ATC case on flight simulators, it´s really an important part of the complete experience. Therefore I started to experiment a little and decided to create this external tool to add some extra features to the train simulation experience, by allowing player to manually interact with some classical dispatching procedures such as track authorization via track warrants and usage of track bulletins, trying to reproduce the real procedures to the best detail in a balanced way that doesn´t make its usage too complex or boring. At the end the experiment turned into a real thing...

This tool is originally designed to work with Train Sim World game, but due to its flexible design it can be used and customized for any other train simulator you use, simply adding the routes config files to it, which is a very simple process that is explained in the manual. The warrant and bulletins forms are based on the real ones used in US Railroads, but you can use them at any route, as most railways use similar concepts to handle traffic. The tool works completely offline and without interacting to the game engines, and will therefore not have any impact on their performance. It´s really just a cosmetic enhancement but allows a lot of interaction from the player perspective. You can play with it yourself or you can also use it to generate the track authorizations formats files and share them with other players or use them in Teamspeak to verbally authorize player movements in a multiplayer environment, for instance. It´s as flexible as your imagination wants to make it.

You can download the zip containing the latest version of the tool files from the following link:

Train Dispatcher Radio

Latest tool version: v1.35 (Jan 2021)
    Latest content update: Mar 2021

The Extra Content folder contains the separate zip files for the crew, routes, radios and extras folders, including chatter messages, route maps and supporting documentation you can use. That content is optional and it´s a separate download to easily update it when no new tool releases are required.

Unzip content to any folder and run Dispatcher.exe.

Latest changelog:

- Added new feature that allows assistant to take control of radio comms (automated radio mode)
    - Added support to some of the recent TSW2 routes and to the preserved collection ones
    - Updated route lists, maps and documentation
    - Updated radio messages texts

Please use this thread to post any comments you have.

This software is distributed as donationware, so if you enjoy using it please consider making a small contribution via Paypal to support me in further developments. I have put a lot of effort in creating this software for all of us to be able to enjoy it. You will find the details in the manual or in the tool menus.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

First CSX dispatcher I've heard that had an English accent!

• Like Like x 2
  3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. He spends the holidays at the british seaside.

You will have the option to choose the voice accent that you want. Don´t worry ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Wow, radio static and everything... I am intrigued.

• Like Like x 1
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I think you will like it. I´m finishing the latest tests during this weekend. Everything works fine so far.

Here´s another example: the complete process issuing a Form B bulletin due to track works near Manchester Victoria station, at NTP route.

https://instaud.io/3zEY

Prepare a notebook to take notes, cause you will be busy on the cabs from now onwards :)

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Here we go… Testing was finished before expected and all checklist were completed without errors. So it´s time for a public release. First post updated with the details. Enjoy it!

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Juan Manuel Luengo

Juan Manuel Luengo Active Member

A magnificent job and a tool that will further enrich our railway experience? Only one coffee machine is missing on my desk! :D

Thank you.

8. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Gracias Jose Manuel.

Hopefully it will help the community to better enjoy the simulation. By the way... You have one of my favorite locomotives in the profile pic.

Cheers

9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Oh WOW! This looks pretty neat! I'll definitely have to try it out later!

10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks raildan. No more misteries for you… Hahaha. I hope you like it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looks and sounds great definitely adds a more realistic feel to the game.

12. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael. I have been playing the simulator for years with all previous versions, and I always missed this kind of features. Now the problem is that I must recycle my gameplay to take into account which radio procedure I have to use at every stage. I almost overpass a signal today while trying to drive and prepare a communication to yardmaster prior to entry to yard… Hahahaha. Drive carefully guys :D

Cheers

13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Nice!

14. 333talgo

333talgo Well-Known Member

Thank you! It is really interesting!;)

15. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Great to hear that you like it. I´m working on a new version to correct some minor errors on the radio text messages and I´m experimenting a little bit to add some more features. I hope to release it during the week. If you find anything wrong please let me know to include a correction for it in that version.

Cheers

16. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hello,

A new version is available, including a new cool addition that I like a lot and I was not able to include in the first release. It has no sense to have a radio, if you can´t talk to anybody, isn´t it? Speech recognition has been added to the tool. Yes, now you will have to talk to dispatcher :) Read manual to properly configure this new feature. Some minor corrections were also done to the messages texts and the route cfg files as well to fix minor errors.

First post updated with new download link.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  17. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi,

Lastest update today, and hopefully the final one at this stage, cause the tool is stable now and without errors on the code. I have made some improvements to the speech recognition to allow a more flexible usage, specially with the status reports, as they were quite unpractical at some points. Now you can use sentences such as "Arriving at Foley" or "Reporting train failure. Emergency brake application at Dunster". Train ID can be also changed using Alpha, Bravo, etc followed by train running number and direction. There is a special dispatcher order to report it to dispatcher as well.

I also added route information and latest report data to the Route Map tab because that is a view I like to use very frequently while driving, mainly to know were I am on the route and which station I passed, as there´s no information at all on the game map.

Some of the voice commands were updated due to those changes. Please refer to the speech recognition section in the manual to see the changes.

You can get the latest version on the tool in the shared link at the first post.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  18. Juan Manuel Luengo

Thank you very much for your work. With tools like this, the simulation is better every day.

19. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks Juan!

Sorry, but I had to update it again. I had found a limitation on the Alpha, Bravo, etc callsigns procedure, due to SAPI5 speech recognition engine limitation. We can´t use more than 4 callsigns, or the speech recognition turns really mad and it´s impossible to enter any value properly cause it mixes numbers and letters. So, this will be limited to 4 callsigns plus the numbers and direction code, which are still by far more than enough for its purpose. You can enter Train IDs like: "BNSF 12345 South West" using voice.

Please download the file for v1.20 from the shared link on first post if you already downloaded any previous versions.

Cheers

20. Juan Manuel Luengo

Cheers, Geloxo and others members.

I have installed Windows 10 64 bits at my computer. When trying to install the program, I found this problem.

I have read the documentation for your program, but I have not found indications about this. Can you tell me why?

upload_2019-5-2_23-14-38.jpeg

Thanks!

21. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi,

That´s either the microphone setup, not properly done or that you miss one of the default english voices (David or Zira).

1) For the microphone: Go to \bin\ folder and execute SR Info.exe. It will display the list of available microphones into a pop-up menu. You need to use the ID of your preferred microphone from that list and update the line "MicInputDevice = xxx" in the main Dispatcher.ini configuration file. Or simply leave it with value 0 if problem persist.

2) In case you are missing the voices, you just need to download the english language pack from Microsoft. Go to Control Panel --> Language and select English language pack. It will download the pack including voices.

Redownload the latest v1.20 from the shared folder, just in case, and replace all files with those ones. Older versions do not include the most recent fixes.

I have also Windows 10 (spanish version) so tool works fine on such Windows versions, but it comes with only the spanish voices…

Cheers

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  22. Juan Manuel Luengo

Ok. Homework for tomorrow ;)

Are you Spanish, like me?

Thanks.

23. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Claro hombre. Si tienes problemas mañana me paso por el discord oficial y te ayudo. Suelo estar conectado ahi a veces.

Saludos

24. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

All recent updates were included in a new stable release. Current version v1.21 is available on the main post. This includes a fix so that nobody else faces the error reported by Juan Manuel.

Microphone is now set to ID 0 on the default config files included in the pack, for people just having one input sound device available in Windows. Remember to configure your desired microphone ID in the config tab if you are willing to use speech recognition feature.

In addition some small adjustments were done to the status report procedure, three new chatter messages were included and the message chain now exists without the need of additional confirmation if no procedure was selected after calling dispatcher.

Cheers

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  25. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi.

I updated tool to v1.23 cause I found an error on the track warrant procedure and read back steps were not triggered in one particular case. Please get latest files on the shared folder.

Cheers

26. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

While I can understand the appeal of this tool and I've often wondered what it would be like to hear radio traffic in the background, my 74-year old senses receive enough stimulation from TSW as it is. The static alone would, I think, provide more distraction than satisfaction. Nevertheless, cheers to you for inventing it!

27. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just give a try to the radio chatter included in it. You don't need to talk to dispatcher at all. You can just turn radio on and listen to real radio conversations on the background. They add a touch of realism to the quiet environment in the cab.

Cheers

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  28. Juan Manuel Luengo

¡Impresionante!

Awesome. In a Spanish forum (Ferrosim) it is said that it would be very useful if it were in Spanish (not all of them know English and this makes difficult its use) ...

That's the proposal;).

Thanks by all

29. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The reason to make it english only is mainly that most of the players are familiar with english and the procedures are extracted from the GCOR, which is the rulebook basis for a lot of railways in USA and other countries. I tried to make it as standard as possible.

I will think about it anyway. When I have time I could try to translate it. But you will then have to invite me to a good beer :D

Tell Milcien that yes, I´m the one he knows.

Cheers

30. Juan Manuel Luengo

Entendido.

Said and done. Count on it ;)

31. Juan Manuel Luengo

The more I explore the program, the more I appreciate the work behind it.

Gracias, Geloxo.

• Like Like x 1
  32. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have prepared a version v1.25 release that brings important new features and improvements. Changelog:

- Added support for Tees Valley route
    - Updated quick start guide
    - Fixed small typos on some route cfg files
    - General GUI layout relocation of main menu buttons and the configuration tab
    - Added small N and R buttons to sort route contents in normal or reverse order to allow usage of a single route file for both travel directions
    - Added Test voice button to test selected dispatcher voice and added voice list combos in the configuration tab
    - Added a fourth new whistle sound
    - Improved radio chatter random selection of messages and fixed an error on the radio chatter script
    - Added configuration variables in dispatcher.ini for new features included in crew menus
    - Added Conductor/Guard and Assistant voices, including a new Crew menu and the following main new features:

a. Next station and trip departure announcements
    b. Cargo and shunting procedures interaction
    c. Locomotive startup checklist with interactive reading
    d. Cargo waybill generation for freight trains
    e. Random crew chatter (via radio and live voice)
    f. Speech recognition support for all crew buttons, including whistles and boarding calls

Due to the deep structural changes a new dispatcher.ini file is provided to include the new variables. Also a new Crew folder is included. In order to avoid any installation errors please use the files included in the new zip file or replace any existing files from your old installation with these new files. You can still add your old custom content, such as maps, routes files,radio messages, etc, after installation to the new version as well whenever you need it.

I hope you like it!

• Like Like x 2
  33. Juan Manuel Luengo

Tremendo. Thank you very very much.

34. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I´m still testing the new route features so today I have been updating the route config, checklists and executable to include them. Take the updated zip from shared folder to get the fine tune editions whenever you want. If you find something else to add just let me know.

Cheers

35. Juan Manuel Luengo

Thanks, Geloxo.
    The train has been parked at track dead for a few days ... I will resume the controls shortly.

36. Dakota

Dakota Member

geloxo -- I would like to be able to trigger messages and events from a TS2019 LUA scenario script. I have confirmed that LUA scenario scripts can indeed write to files. My idea is to be able to wire the "trigger" events in TS' Timeline Editor to cause TDR to respond in a way similar to first speaking to him. This way, at places during the scenario you cold get a message spoken to you. It could be a message that is pre-set in TDR or maybe text coming from the LUA script.

Exchanging control via files is messy because while I am writing you can't read. You would need to (1) discover the existence of the file, (2) repeatedly try to lock it for write, (3) once you got the lock, read it, then (4) delete it. If this sounds interesting maybe we could work together. I am not that familiar with TDR but I am learning. Basically I can write any smallish bunch of text from the timeline trigger event into a file that you could look for. I could look for the file to disappear to indicate that the response was received OK. Or something like that?????

37. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi,

As soon as TSW implements a script based interface I will try to explore such kind of options on TDR. I prefer this to be compatible with TSW first. Indeed my idea is that dispatcher triggers some messages on its own, without the need of an user request. For the time being we will need to stay offline.

Cheers

38. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Version v1.26 is available. It includes the Peninsula Corridor route cfg and map picture files. It also contains a small correction on the override signal executable to support the new keypressing sequence on the TAB menu layout, now implemented in a different way on TSW 2020.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  39. AleNes

AleNes New Member

It's CTD (without any errors) when I try to activate speech recognition.

40. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

It shouldn't crash as the speech recognition is a native windows 10 feature that I call externally. Are you sure that the app is really crashed and not just minimized on the system tray?

Anyway check in dispatcher.ini that you have configured a valid microphone ID. To identify the available IDs you can go to /bin/ folder and run SR.exe.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  41. johnnycat1961

johnnycat1961 New Member

Obviously not available for consoles

42. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you can only use this on PC. I have no future plans for console users, sorry :)

Cheers

43. solon

solon Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  44. ceo.cookieware

ceo.cookieware New Member

geloxo If you need any help developing this I'd be happy to help. Contact me on discord at Darjeeling#1213 .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  45. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Dear all. After a long time disconnected from the sim and due to the release of TSW2 I have also updated my radio dispatcher tool to better support it. The new version comes with the following main changes:

- Added new feature that allows assistant to take control of radio comms (automated radio mode)
    - Added support to some of the recent TSW2 routes and to the preserved collection ones
    - Updated route lists, maps and documentation

The main big change is the automated radio mode, which I could not include in the older version. This mode is enabled in the default settings and you will find a new icon displayed to show it. It allows the usage of the assistant voice in your outgoing comms. That mode is very useful if you are not using the speech recognition feature, which is disabled in the default settings as it will reproduce the starting of radio communication and also reply to readbacks and incomming radio messages. Therefore you can simply configure the order you want and execute the call. Assistant will take care to send the request and handle the readbacks for the track authorizations, while you focus on driving the train.

The signal override feature is also enabled in the default settings and will send to the game the order to override signals via the ingame dispatcher menu. This feature is now compatible with both versions of the game, so you don´t need to edit any files manually.

Remember you can edit or add the routes to include the stations you want. I have not included all new routes as I don´t own them yet. Further customization options, such as the usage of speech recognition to directly talk to dispatcher yourself, are explained in the manual.

You can find the new download link in the first post.

Cheers

46. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

How does one use this during shunting operations?

47. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

You can use the Yard Procedures to request shunting permission or any of the other available instructions. Or if you are in the main line you can use the dispatcher menu to request a banking, work between, reversing or headshunt. At any case the assistant can also reproduce some messages for coupling, pushing or loading vagons.

If you want to use track warrants then you can select box 4 with 8 or 9 (depending if you are working on main track or a siding). If there are works in the line then you could choose boxes 11, 12, 13 or 14. Even use a FormB bulletin when you have a foreman in the line.

Remember this is just a cosmetic enhancement as currently game does not allow any interaction with third party software. But if you would like to follow the real procedures then for almost all train movements you do in game you should request any of the authorizations that tool includes. At least the initial departure clearance for the service (including origin and destination) and the signal override request (when required and including your position) should be always used. Normally you can´t freely move a train unless being authorized by either a yardmaster or a dispatcher and they need to know where you are, where you go and what you are going to do.

By the way I recently updated the tool shared folder with the latest routes and extra content. Grab them from the first post link :)

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021